Help with risk assesment anyone with 4under 5s
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with risk assesment anyone with 4under 5s

Hi all
    Please can I pick your brains??
    I am going for a variation and seems I will have it granted but need to do a risk assessment to add to my application forms.
    What things can I add to it for 4 under 5s please??
    All and any ideas and info very much appreciated
    Thank you in advance

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

- risk assess going out with 4 eg how will you keep them safe in the car or on foot
    - risk assess meal times eg how will you ensure each is seated at the table etc
    - risk assess sleep times eg how will you ensure each child gets a rest or a nap
    - risk assess how you will ensure that each child has toys/ learning opportunities etc....

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As veggiesausage says

Don't forget the equipment that you will buy/already have car seats, high chairs, reigns etc. I have also had to tell CSSIW the length of time that children had been with me, their ages and names. I have also provided a plan for the day showing how I meet all the needs of the children during the day. Don't forget to say how long you need the variation for and which days/hours it is needed. Variations are specific to a set of circumstances so if you have a problem on another day you have to reapply for those circumstances.

Good luck - CSSIW will only look at a variation a maximum of 3 weeks before it is needed which is a great help when everyone needs to know! Have you spoken to your named inspector? Although they do not grant the variations (they are done by a team) it may be worth speaking to her to get the wording right and as she knows (ahem if you have actually met her!) you and your setting can speak to the variation team. We had an inspector attend a meeting and this is what she said.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ja-lula-belli View Post
    Hi all
    I am going for a variation and seems I will have it granted but need to do a risk assessment to add to my application forms.
    Thank you in advance
    Just to clarify that no one will 'grant' you a variation...you are the only one who can do so ...it is a self variation....by risk assessing your setting and outings, talking to your parents, looking at your space, resources, equipment and routine and ....last but not least...will you be able to meet all the children's needs?

I feel that some confuse Risk assessment with general routine and children's well being as in meeting needs...they are both important but separate

Because cms are unique is their settings...your home is not the same as anyone else's ....you need to look at examples given by the DfE in their documentation and look at all possibilities and go fro there

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Just to clarify that no one will 'grant' you a variation...you are the only one who can do so ...it is a self variation....by risk assessing your setting and outings, talking to your parents, looking at your space, resources, equipment and routine and ....last but not least...will you be able to meet all the children's needs?

I feel that some confuse Risk assessment with general routine and children's well being as in meeting needs...they are both important but separate

Because cms are unique is their settings...your home is not the same as anyone else's ....you need to look at examples given by the DfE in their documentation and look at all possibilities and go fro there
    The OP is in Wales Simona, so it is a different process.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ja-lula-belli View Post
    Hi all
    Thank you in advance

I use a RA that I think I got from Sarah's info in the free downloads section. I know it is for self exceptions, not granted variations, but I'm sure you could use it.

I look at:

Floor space
    Evacuation in an emergency
    That I'm covered by insurance for an extra child
    That I have suitable and sufficient equipment for eating, sleeping and playing
    and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much
    Yes just to clarify that I am in wales so it is a different process to England. It's quite an extensive process and this is going I be very handy to me as I don't want to leave anything out.
    Thanks x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The OP is in Wales Simona, so it is a different process.
    Sorry ja-lula-belli I was not aware you are in Wales...the post did not mention it but glad the answers were of help
    Good luck