Clarification from Ofsted
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Simona Guest

    Default Clarification from Ofsted

    I contacted Ofsted this morning to get clarification on a couple of matters we have discussed ...don't take the answer as gospel because if you were to ring you may get a different answer...ce la vie!

    While listening to their various options I also heard the one about 'variations'...the message says 'if you are calling about variations press 3'.
    So I thought I'd add that one too

    Do we contact Ofsted if we want to increase our numbers or just RA as per EYFS?
    No need to contact but RA yes.

    Do we call Ofsted to inform if we are having a dog, cats or other animals...or just RA?
    We can email enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk and inform them ...so I suppose best thing is to ask for an acknowledgement they have filed the info
    RA ...yes required

    Has Ofsted changed the expectations of our F/Aid
    No ...it is still 12 hrs

    Hope this helps and if you get a different answer let us know !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,242
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I contacted Ofsted this morning to get clarification on a couple of matters we have discussed ...don't take the answer as gospel because if you were to ring you may get a different answer...ce la vie!

    While listening to their various options I also heard the one about 'variations'...the message says 'if you are calling about variations press 3'.
    So I thought I'd add that one too

    Do we contact Ofsted if we want to increase our numbers or just RA as per EYFS?
    No need to contact but RA yes.

    Do we call Ofsted to inform if we are having a dog, cats or other animals...or just RA?
    We can email enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk and inform them ...so I suppose best thing is to ask for an acknowledgement they have filed the info
    RA ...yes required

    Has Ofsted changed the expectations of our F/Aid
    No ...it is still 12 hrs

    Hope this helps and if you get a different answer let us know !
    I saw on the Independent childminders facebooks page that one poor lady was downgraded to Requires Improvement from Outstanding because she hadn't notified them that her father had moved out - so I have quickly e-mailed them to let them know that my daughter (registered assistant) has moved out - I'm overdue for an inspection (last one March 2009), really hoping that my e-mail doesn't trigger me for an inspection, but at least that's one thing that they shouldn't be able to mark me down for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,099
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I asked my ofsted inspector for clarification on that same point Hectors House , as my 2 elder sons are now away at uni.
    She said not to tell ofsted that they had moved out as when they came back , as they are likely to do , they would need new dbs etc....

    Simona , I have also emailed asking where it says that first aid needs to be 12 hours...strangely they are yet to reply to that one!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I saw on the Independent childminders facebooks page that one poor lady was downgraded to Requires Improvement from Outstanding because she hadn't notified them that her father had moved out - so I have quickly e-mailed them to let them know that my daughter (registered assistant) has moved out - I'm overdue for an inspection (last one March 2009), really hoping that my e-mail doesn't trigger me for an inspection, but at least that's one thing that they shouldn't be able to mark me down for.
    I've just done the same. Two of my sons have moved out, but I've been holding off telling Ofsted in case they moved back home again! That's not likely to happen now though, so I've emailed Ofsted to tell them. If the boys do ever move back home they can pay for their own DBS!

  5. Likes hectors house liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I asked my ofsted inspector for clarification on that same point Hectors House , as my 2 elder sons are now away at uni.
    She said not to tell ofsted that they had moved out as when they came back , as they are likely to do , they would need new dbs etc....

    Simona , I have also emailed asking where it says that first aid needs to be 12 hours...strangely they are yet to reply to that one!!
    My two are now away at Uni but this is still their home address for all their important documents, like passport, driving licence, bank accounts etc. I don't consider going to Uni as moved out. They are away studying.

    However when they get their first jobs and move to their first home then they will have moved out.

  7. Likes Mouse, funemnx, hectors house liked this post
  8. #6
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I asked my ofsted inspector for clarification on that same point Hectors House , as my 2 elder sons are now away at uni.
    She said not to tell ofsted that they had moved out as when they came back , as they are likely to do , they would need new dbs etc....

    Simona , I have also emailed asking where it says that first aid needs to be 12 hours...strangely they are yet to reply to that one!!
    Please let us know what reply you get regarding the F/Aid...having just done mine I hope it gets sorted in the next 3 years?
    I will also raise it at OBC if we still get different replies...my list is getting very long

    On family members moving in and out I have heard different versions so there is another grey area

    RS...may I ask what happens when your children move out and then return for visits or short stay? will they need a DBS then?
    Last edited by Simona; 19-09-2014 at 04:05 PM.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    411
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I best tell them my son has moved out also it never occurred to me to inform them of it.
    Thanks for this post Simona could have got in a lot of trouble if the other post is anything to go by.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Please let us know what reply you get regarding the F/Aid...having just done mine I hope it gets sorted in the next 3 years?
    I will also raise it at OBC if we still get different replies...my list is getting very long

    On family members moving in and out I have heard different versions so there is another grey area

    RS...may I ask what happens when your children move out and then return for visits or short stay? will they need a DBS then?

    I doubt it short stay visitors have never needed a CRB. My son has a DBS so that should be valid forever anyway. Anyway that is all a long way off as far as I am concerned our home is still their main address and I don't see that Ofsted need to know they are at Uni it has no bearing on the children in my care.

    I think Ofsted must get a bit fed up with constant questions and being notified about day to day things. Common Sense has to prevail.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    I best tell them my son has moved out also it never occurred to me to inform them of it.
    Thanks for this post Simona could have got in a lot of trouble if the other post is anything to go by.
    Why? It makes no difference to the care of the minded children does it. Sorry but it wouldn't occur to me to tell Ofsted. Should I tell them my Father died last year and will now longer be visiting me?

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    620
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am getting increasingly nervous about the 'notify ofsted' problem...my daughter had never lived at my current house, she moved out of our home many years ago before we moved here. I was inspected when we moved here, and soon after my daughter moved in for a few weeks, ofsted were informed and that was that. After a couple of years I had a routine inspection.
    And then about 4 years ago she moved in again for a short period (she was in between homes herself). I duly informed ofsted that she would be here for about 8 -12 weeks and they said she didn't need a CRB because she was 'attached' to the address. I found that odd, because she had never lived here as a permanent address..... but I didn't worry and didn't query it.
    However since people have started getting pulled up by ofsted recently, about family moving in and out and ofsted not being informed ..I have started to worry that I should have told them the date my daughter moved out. They knew she was going to be here for 8-12 weeks....but i'm rather scared that under this current climate of draconian law I will be hauled over the coals
    keeping my head down

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,775
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Why? It makes no difference to the care of the minded children does it. Sorry but it wouldn't occur to me to tell Ofsted. Should I tell them my Father died last year and will now longer be visiting me?
    This is EYFS 2014, 3.77: 'Changes that must be notified to Ofsted...any change in....the persons aged 16 yrs or over living or working on childminder premises'

    I think we all know this means informing of any new persons, but also refers to any persons no longer living on premises- both are 'changes'.

  14. Likes hectors house liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,489
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    The Ofsted Big Conversation FB group is tackling this issue at the moment if anyone wants to get involved

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ofste...623176?fref=ts

  16. #13
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Winnie... Please do not get worried about this ...it is really simple to resolve
    If you are in doubt about informing Ofsted of anything or whether they should be told about this that or the other...just call them or email them at Enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

    Even better you could email the Ofsted Director in your area to raise the matter of lack of continuity in Ofsted's expectations

    The Ofsted helpline does give contradictory information at times...always ask the name of the person you are talking to
    Ask for any query to be recoded on your file...same if you email...ask for confirmation

    There are 2 problems here ...the interpretation that Ofsted puts on DfE statutory guidance such as EYFS when we hear that inspectors ask for what is not required
    If that happens to anyone just ask the inspector to point at where the EYFS states her request or challenge the inspector's interpretation on the day

    Unfortunately cms have reacted in the wrong way and many are now producing excessive paperwork 'just in case'

    That will not work and has caused stress to cms when the EYFS clearly wants less bureaucracy some are creating it by the bucket load!!

    Ofsted ...as regulator...have their own guidance and those are pretty clear on what we are expected to do...even what they should expect of us at inspection
    Many cms may not be aware that Ofsted also have their own Code of Practice...those present at the last London OBC will have heard about this and because of it Ofsted have had to alter their recent inspection format

    Unfortunately when you say 'people are starting to be pulled by Ofsted'...I interpret this as discussions taking place on Facebook ? I have not seen much discussion on this here...Ofsted can only recommend an action when we have breached the requirements


    Sarah...thank you for your invitation to join this discussion on FB
    many cms do not use FB...never have... never will so asking to join the conversation there is counterproductive
    Why do cms on FB not join us here and see what we can share?
    Also not sure what OBC FB group is?

    As a general plea to cms...if you are having problems with contradictory information or are unsure on what the expectations are ....do report it to the appropriate channels or your representing association

    RS...thanks for your reply...the individual interpretation makes it difficult to say what is right or wrong

    EYFS say 'changes that must be notified' and lists those we have to report
    It does not...for instance ...say we must notify when we get a dog...cat or goldfish!!! ...and yet we are panicking about that too
    It does not say we need to do 12 hrs Paediatric F/A...neither did 2008 version...2012 but we are now questioning it

    If it is not clear ...please report it and as it is expected the EYFS is to be tweaked again for obvious omissions now in place in law...we could try to influence the changes?
    Last edited by Simona; 20-09-2014 at 07:28 AM.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,242
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

    EYFS say 'changes that must be notified' and lists those we have to report
    It does not...for instance ...say we must notify when we get a dog...cat or goldfish!!! ...and yet we are panicking about that too
    It does not say we need to do 12 hrs Paediatric F/A...neither did 2008 version...2012 but we are now questioning it

    If it is not clear ...please report it and as it is expected the EYFS is to be tweaked again for obvious omissions now in place in law...we could try to influence the changes?
    I had better let them know that since my last inspection when I had 2 guinea pigs, 2 cats and a dog that one cat went missing, the guinea pigs died, one dog was put down and we now have 2 dogs and 5 chickens - think I may cover myself to send them a daily e-mail on how many eggs the hens have laid.

  18. Likes Mouse liked this post
  19. #15
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I had better let them know that since my last inspection when I had 2 guinea pigs, 2 cats and a dog that one cat went missing, the guinea pigs died, one dog was put down and we now have 2 dogs and 5 chickens - think I may cover myself to send them a daily e-mail on how many eggs the hens have laid.
    You got it HH!!!

  20. Likes hectors house, mum67 liked this post
  21. #16
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I asked my ofsted inspector for clarification on that same point Hectors House , as my 2 elder sons are now away at uni.
    She said not to tell ofsted that they had moved out as when they came back , as they are likely to do , they would need new dbs etc....

    Simona , I have also emailed asking where it says that first aid needs to be 12 hours...strangely they are yet to reply to that one!!
    I was thinking about your email to Ofsted and the waiting for their reply on the subject

    I wonder if we should email the DfE on this...F/A is an EYFS requirement written by the DfE...which Ofsted need to ensure we meet but cannot change according to their interpretation?

    I might give DfE a ring later ...although judging by the last call I made to them I would rather walk up Mount Everest!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Clarification from Ofsted Clarification from Ofsted Clarification from Ofsted

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk