Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to get in a tizzy over this, I'm fairly sure it's a storm in an allergen rich (cows milk! ) tea cup and a few months from now will be another thing we're so used to doing we'll have forgotten we never used to!

2. Likes Kiddleywinks, moggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done the training, it was quite interesting and didn't take too long. The change I've decided to make is to provide a weekly menu that lists and of the 14 allergens underneath for each day tbh I can't see it being too difficult to do each week. I'm certainly not going to panic about it :-) thanks again Sarah for the excellent information :-)

4. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thanks Moggy and AgentTink for this link which is posted on the other thread too

I have printed the leaflet but what it does not mention is food such as kiwi...strawberries and tomatoes which some children are allergic to...even lemon and honey are ingredients I have to avoid in my food due to allergy...so yes we still need parents to keep us fully informed on what they want us to avoid

Thanks everyone
    Turmeric is another ingredient which is not commonly known is causing allergic reaction/sensitivity to. Apparently, it is found in many foods and sauces...not just curries.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gwm View Post
    Turmeric is another ingredient which is not commonly known is causing allergic reaction/sensitivity to. Apparently, it is found in many foods and sauces...not just curries.
    Thanks for that gwm...

I had a think about this yesterday after discussing it with an EYPS

The allergens poster is now in the Parents Info pack and under the EYFS 'health' requirement
    I have also added a line in my contract 'requesting' parents to provide a list of any allergens I should avoid and those I avoid anyway
    I have also added a line on the child's 'medical history/dietary needs' etc

Can't think of anything else to do...any suggestions anyone?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    From Dec 13th 2014 all food providers will have to inform customers what is in their food! This is nothing to do with Ofsted or DfE – it’s from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) in conjunction with DEFRA.

While some Ofsted inspectors might check you are doing it, the legislative body is the Food Standards Authority – your Local Environmental Health Dept.

I have written the following guidance to help you prepare for the changes.

If you have any questions please ask!

Attachment 8489
    Sarah my understanding is that this is Voluntary as far as childminders are concerned? If it isn't and it is Compulsory could you please give a link to the legislation and the official guidelines from whichever agency has made it compulsory please.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that gwm...

I had a think about this yesterday after discussing it with an EYPS

The allergens poster is now in the Parents Info pack and under the EYFS 'health' requirement
    I have also added a line in my contract 'requesting' parents to provide a list of any allergens I should avoid and those I avoid anyway
    I have also added a line on the child's 'medical history/dietary needs' etc

Can't think of anything else to do...any suggestions anyone?
    But it is not an EYFS Health requirement is it so that is misleading information for parents surely?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    But it is not an EYFS Health requirement is it so that is misleading information for parents surely?
    RS...All I have done is share the leaflet on allergens with parents...so their info pack is a good start
    Ask them to let me know of any known allergies or allergens I must avoid
    Also I asked them to update any info if their child suddenly reacts to something or develops an allergy

I also would like to see the legislation on this because I do understand what the aim is but I do not think it is practical to list all ingredients used in cooking...

I will certainly avoid allergens for those children who cannot eat those but should I avoid them for children who have no allergies?

I will keep updated on this as best I can...I also would like to see some guidance from my local Environmental Health
    My view of course

10. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a jar of Asda curry sauce last night and read all the ingredients - only spotted mustard flour - however when I read the bottom of label it said something like - "allergy advice for ALLERGENS see in bold" and when I reread the label I could see that the mustard flour was in a bold print - so at least ASDA are already on the ball and making life easier.

12. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tweaked my food policy to be somewhat like Sarah has put on the downloads section. I am in the process of doing an a4 grid listing with 15 columns one for type of food and then the 14 allergens and as and when I am putting together meals I'm tick boxing the relevant allergens and then by December should a parent request it I can email or print off for them. It's not hard and if by adding approx 5 foods a week by December will be sorted on then need to ad here and there no problem.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is an EU directive for all food providers ... and we are food providers!

I understand Pacey are making further enquiries but for now we are simply sharing the information and it's up to members what they do with it.

It's important that we share information to help members who are worrying about new legislation - and our message is to carry on doing what we are doing and not worry unnecessarily.

It is good practice to know what is in food - and this legislation will make it easier for us!

Simona Guest

Thank you for sharing that Sarah...EU directive is one thing but it is not legislation...and I have not seen any of this turned into law as yet or any link to that

I think the local Environmental Health should now inform us what they require us to do...I have found none on my local website
    I also feel many cms were doing that already in different ways

It is very simple to adapt our practice to inform parents of allergen we use in our cooking...but to list ingredients I feel is a different matter altogether and cms should not rush into producing additional and time consuming paperwork

I hope all associations will look into this this as not all are pacey members and also we must keep an eye on the EYFS for future tweaking

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing that Sarah...EU directive is one thing but it is not legislation...and I have not seen any of this turned into law as yet or any link to that

I think the local Environmental Health should now inform us what they require us to do...I have found none on my local website
    I also feel many cms were doing that already in different ways

It is very simple to adapt our practice to inform parents of allergen we use in our cooking...but to list ingredients I feel is a different matter altogether and cms should not rush into producing additional and time consuming paperwork

I hope all associations will look into this this as not all are pacey members and also we must keep an eye on the EYFS for future tweaking

Yes that is how I understand it. A recommendation but not a Legal Requirement or required under EYFS.

I think childminders offer a personal and tailor made service already and part of it is to gather information about the children coming into your care including any allergies. I don't think there is any need for anything else at present apart from maybe reminding parents the importance of updating any information. I send out new child info forms out annually anyway to ensure things like medical info, allergies and phone numbers are updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12