2 babies under 1
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 babies under 1

Hi everyone I'm after a bit of advice please!

I currently look after the children of 2 sisters, the youngest child is almost 9 months old. I have been approached by the brother of the 2 sisters to see if I can also have his daughter (they have just moved back to the area). I have space available, my only problem is the child is 6 months old! So I'm thinking that I can't do it! I used to be able to have 2 under 1 on my old certificate, but I know that that variation has been removed! The annoying thing it is only from Oct when the Mum returns to work till dec when the 1st child turns 1!

Am I right in thinking I can't do it Thank you

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but yes, you're correct

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm currently looking after 2 under 1 my own daughter 8 months and a lg 8 months her mum is a teacher who wanted term time only contract and the only other minder who had a baby space wouldn't do a term time only contract. I rang Ofsted who let's say were not very helpful and I ended the conversation saying I am capable of looking after 2 under 1 and that I will be going ahead and they are welcome to come out to me, no one has all my parents are fine and my plans were discussed with them x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ring OFSTED as because they are an extended family they might allow it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason they didn't say no to me was because one of them is mine. But I would still call Ofsted for guidance they basically told me it's up to me how I interpret the guidance x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the sisters married or have they or one of them still got their maiden name (same as the brother) - think I would pretend the new baby is a sibling rather than cousin of the other children! I know it's against the rules - but it's Friday, it's been a tough week and I'm feeling very rebellious!

7. Likes AliceK, Chimps Childminding, mum67 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling rebellious too and would take the child on - reason being that you have already been given the ok by Ofsted in the past and although they have put the ball in our court now, the reasons they gave you the ok before haven't changed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Are the sisters married or have they or one of them still got their maiden name (same as the brother) - think I would pretend the new baby is a sibling rather than cousin of the other children! I know it's against the rules - but it's Friday, it's been a tough week and I'm feeling very rebellious!
    The girls are both married, and the other problem is all 3 siblings have had babies within 6 months (all girls) the other one was born in July and is coming to me next April

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

The guidelines are strange really because if a family comes with twins under one we can say yes but two different under ones are a no no. Doesn't make sense does it?
    Why are you assumed to be capable of looking after twins but not two others of the same age?

11. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't had this issue but i had a permanent 2 under 1 exception on my certificate too until we did our own!

I think that as long as I was sure it would work, then I would do it. It's only for a few months. X

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I'm sure I could do it, both Mums work shifts so I may not have them together very often anyway, but I'm due an Ofsted Inspection at some point (last one 2009) so don't want to risk anything? Think I will give them a ring and see - they can only say no
    Last edited by Chimps Childminding; 05-09-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chimps Childminding

Before we all get carried away, what you are proposing is against the EYFS and there are no exceptional circumstances so be very careful. Ofsted will probably say risk assess and inform parents but this should say I can't do it because it is against the EYFS

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I agree with Rick. It is breaking regulations and if you are due an inspection not really a good idea! I doubt that Ofsted will help, they will just refer you to the eyfs which says no. I have to say though that as it is only for a couple of months I would be very tempted to take the chance too but it isnt really worth being graded inadequate over. If the babies might not be together that much due to the parents shifts I would discuss with both of them your predicament and see if they can liase together and arrange something out so you don't have the 2 together until Dec. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to risk anything! The way I saw it, I couldn't do it, I was just checking, as there used to be some flexibility, I was just making sure I hadn't missed anything I certainly won't do anything without speaking to Ofsted, and as you say they don't really help, so not sure there is much point ringing them

I have told parents I don't think I will be able to do it, at least not the days I have the other baby, so waiting on mums shifts so I can see what, if anything, I can do!

It does seem silly that you can have your own baby, plus another tho i can understand you being able to have twins, you can't separate them.

Thanks for all the advice! That's what this Forum is great for
    Last edited by Chimps Childminding; 06-09-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The reason they allow you to have an existing mindee then have your own baby is because there would be a detrimental effect in having to give notice to a settled mindee. The other way round would be going against the EYFS with no detrimental effect to any children to consider

18. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd e mail the dfe with your circumstances, they seem to be giving precise advice at the moment and as they write the eyfs whatever they say has to be right regardless of how ofsted or any of us interpret it.

20. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I'd e mail the dfe with your circumstances, they seem to be giving precise advice at the moment and as they write the eyfs whatever they say has to be right regardless of how ofsted or any of us interpret it.
    Oooo - now I like that idea

This whole 'being allowed to grant our own variation without having to contact Ofsted but chances are an inspector will probably downgrade you because they don't understand the interpretation even though you had/would have had permission prior to the changes' is beginning to tick a lot of experienced and competent minders off - and rightly so!
    Maybe if more people contacted the DofE the penny would drop somewhere that actually Ofsted AREN'T doing the job they're meant to be doing adequately so need a ruddy big shake up - hmmmm, starting with um big chief

22. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post