Register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Register

toddlers896 Guest

Default Register

I use pacey register but after I run out of these I would like to do my own. I could photocopy them but ime also trying to think what would be more cost effective.

Could I use a blank note book and have a page a child?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 A4 sheet per child per month.
    xx

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I have 1 A4 sheet per child per month.
    xx
    Do you keep all the pages in the book Alice and file it away somewhere safe or do you tear the pages out and keep them with each child's file x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toddlers896 View Post
    Do you keep all the pages in the book Alice and file it away somewhere safe or do you tear the pages out and keep them with each child's file x
    They are not in a book, I just photocopy blank ones each month, fill them in each day and then at the end of the month I file each one in each childs folder.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

HI, Silly question can you not use the same page for all children ? Does it have to be a separate sheet for each child?

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KateA View Post
    HI, Silly question can you not use the same page for all children ? Does it have to be a separate sheet for each child?
    Kate I think we have to use a separate sheet for confidentiality purposes otherwise I would definitely do it this way. I would ideally like to do it a page per child but in a blinded book so it's all intact but not sure if this is ok

7. Likes KateA liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all the children on one sheet. I think it's better to show the total number of children here each day, rather than which days each individual child did, if you see what I mean.
    If there was a query on a certain day, I can open my register on that page and see exactly who it had and when. If separate sheets are done for each child, you'd have to get every sheet out to show if they were or weren't there.

I don't think there's a problem with confidentiality. How would schools manage if they had to do a page per child?

9. Likes KateA, Dragonfly liked this post
    toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have all the children on one sheet. I think it's better to show the total number of children here each day, rather than which days each individual child did, if you see what I mean.
    If there was a query on a certain day, I can open my register on that page and see exactly who it had and when. If separate sheets are done for each child, you'd have to get every sheet out to show if they were or weren't there.

I don't think there's a problem with confidentiality. How would schools manage if they had to do a page per child?
    Good point mouse. For some reason I have it in my head we couldn't do this due to confidentiality, if there was a query and a parent wanted to see a month for example and it has other children on it too but if we can do what you do then that's another thing that will be made easier for me

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toddlers896 View Post
    Good point mouse. For some reason I have it in my head we couldn't do this due to confidentiality, if there was a query and a parent wanted to see a month for example and it has other children on it too but if we can do what you do then that's another thing that will be made easier for me
    Some people do say it's good practice to do separate sheets, but I have always done one sheet with all the children on and it's never been questioned.

To me, it's important to show which group of children are present on which day. Say there was an emergency and someone needed to know which children were in my care, a register with all names on one page would show that. If someone had to look through each child's page to see whether or not they were there, could you confidently say they would get it right as quickly or easily?

And if my numbers were ever questioned, it's much easier to show who I had on a particular day if they are all on one page.

I don't get parents to sign my register and have never had any of them need to look at it. I see the chance of that happening as being minimal compared to the chance of me needing to show Ofsted, or whoever, the total number of children I have had.

I think it's entirely up to you how you do it as long as you are happy with your reasons

12. Likes N/A, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thank you for replying I was using one note book for all, will carry on with it then. Does make it easier to see who was in on what day etc x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also do a week's worth of children on a sheet - well only so many children fit on a page so double sided at the moment IYSWIM.

MM sell weekly registers that are 6 children and an assistant to a page.

I also write it in my diary. My friend just uses her diary.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

All my mindees are siblings at the moment so I use one sheet for all, if that allowed as confidentiality wouldn't matter here would it?

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as mouse. I don't think it's a confidentially issue if a parent finds out who was at the setting on the same day as their child. They could find this out by actually asking their child.

I have the names colour coded so that I can easily count the under 1's, under 5's and over 8's.

17. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Simona Guest

There is no requirement to do a separate record for each child,....just a simple register with names of the children and days/hours of attendance as required by EYFS (p31)....ticked each day

A simple A4 table devised by you will do...no need to buy expensive stationery from anyone
    The important things to remember are to enter the time of arrival and the time of departure...these are useful in case of investigations for accidents and incidents...also useful to monitor attendance for funded children and in instances of 'self variations'

Oh...the register is confidential as are all records and every bit of information you have on each child ...parents cannot ask to see it...only those who have a right or professional need to do so can ...again this is in the EYFS (p29) and should be covered in the Confidentiality policy and the Data Protection Act which we are covered for by paying the ICO £35 each year

If any parent asks to see the register decline and if they insist ask them to put it in writing then act accordingly
    Last edited by Simona; 23-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I do the same as mouse. I don't think it's a confidentially issue if a parent finds out who was at the setting on the same day as their child. They could find this out by actually asking their child.

I have the names colour coded so that I can easily count the under 1's, under 5's and over 8's.
    Like the colour coding idea K1rstie, mind if I pinch it?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I do the same as mouse. I don't think it's a confidentially issue if a parent finds out who was at the setting on the same day as their child. They could find this out by actually asking their child. I have the names colour coded so that I can easily count the under 1's, under 5's and over 8's.
    I do the same...colour coded into age groups...works well for me

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I colour code mine as well :-)

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my diary
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my diary too. I'd be lost without it, I use it for attendance , any visitors, brief planning , what weave had for lunch . It has contact details for all parents too. In the event of a fire I'd be able to grab this and have all the info I need in it.

24. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pacey Register one page per month per child and always signed by the parents each week. I have done this for 20 years.

Simona by doing it this way I have no problem with each parent seeing their child's pages and as they are signing they of course have to see the page.

Why do I do this?

Well by doing individual pages for each child they can be photocopies if need be and there is no reference to any other child on it.

Each parent can sign so confirming the times and days their child was with m, they also sign the weeks I am on holiday or they are on holiday confirming that they were aware of these dates.

Yes you can record this in many other ways and yes there is no requirement to get the pages signed.

However having the pages signed has paid dividends in the odd instances where a parent has questioned the hours charged for or have questioned holiday dates.

It also proved to Ofsted that a parent was lying about an incident when they lodged a complaint about me with Ofsted and meant the complaint was not upheld, this would not have happened if the Register had not been signed by the parent.

Sometimes it is not just about the basic 'requirements' or what Ofsted look at, but more about you running your own business and putting in place things that protect you in your business.

26. Likes mum67 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast