After giving up...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After giving up...

I am thinking about leaving childminding. I look after a little girl and every couple of months her parents need overnight care. Once Ive given up and she is with a nursery, can I still look after her for a couple of days adhoc here and there, is that just babysitting or will I have to keep my registration, insurance etc. going, very confused.. xxxx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you do the overnight/care in childs house then it's just babysitting and nothing to do with childminding.

But think about keeping your registration for a couple of years to make sure you don't plan to come back to it otherwise if you do, you would have to do all the training/pre-reg again!

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. So if I looked after her in my own house then I would have to do it for free, is that right??? x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJF View Post
    Thanks. So if I looked after her in my own house then I would have to do it for free, is that right??? x
    Legally if you care for a child that you are not closely related to, for more than 2 hours (soon to be 3 in England), in your own home for payment or reward you should be a registered childminder. You can care for them and not accept payment or reward, you can care for them in their home or you can keep your registration active.

5. Likes TJF liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Ofsted factsheet 'Registration not required', States that
    You do not need to register

9. If you only provide care between 6pm and 2am on domestic premises (babysitting arrangements). Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...20required.pdf

Is this no longer current?

7. Likes TJF liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    The Ofsted factsheet 'Registration not required', States that
    You do not need to register

9. If you only provide care between 6pm and 2am on domestic premises (babysitting arrangements). Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...20required.pdf

Is this no longer current?
    But this does not apply to overnight care as the child would have to be collected by 2 am to comply with this, so you need to be registered to provide care between 2am and whenever the child is collected.

9. Likes TJF liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    But this does not apply to overnight care as the child would have to be collected by 2 am to comply with this, so you need to be registered to provide care between 2am and whenever the child is collected.
    Of course, silly me!

11. Likes TJF liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TJF View Post
    I am thinking about leaving childminding. I look after a little girl and every couple of months her parents need overnight care. Once Ive given up and she is with a nursery, can I still look after her for a couple of days adhoc here and there, is that just babysitting or will I have to keep my registration, insurance etc. going, very confused.. xxxx
    This is the updated factsheet from Ofsted about 'CMs and home childcarers' dated 20 August and applicable 1 Sept 2014

See if you can find a way of doing ad hoc childcare either in your home or the child's home ...both require you to be registered though

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Childcare Register requirements: childminders and home childcarers

or you could become their ad hoc nanny?

13. Likes TJF liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    If you do the overnight/care in childs house then it's just babysitting and nothing to do with childminding.

But think about keeping your registration for a couple of years to make sure you don't plan to come back to it otherwise if you do, you would have to do all the training/pre-reg again!
    Plus the huge cost of it all now. I'm new to it but would always pay my registration yearly if I left for a while just because of the amount of money it takes to set up.
    Please take loocyloo's advice.

15. Likes TJF liked this post