Opinions please, babys sleeping arrangement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it be a case of mum not been happy rather than child not been happy with the sleeping arrangements?

Sometimes I have found that parents need to make comments/suggestions about the care you provide - not necessarily because they feel they have a particular problem but feel they need to impose/interfere to keep a little bit more control over their childs care possibly because of parental guilt. An all too common problem that hinders childminders. I think your compromise of comfier mattress may help although I don't think it is a problem for the child, I too have experienced children falling asleep in all sorts of areas, half stood up, laying on a table top, high chair, outside on the tarmac!!!

Good luck and don't feel pressured into using upstairs if you don't want to. But I bet if you told mum you did and improved the mattress , it would make a remarkable difference to how she feels about lo's sleep, .

2. Likes AliceK, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always have a radio on classic FM in the bedrooms where babies sleep - it reassures them when I put then into bed while still awake (whereas parents rock them to sleep in arms first) as I only have time to pop them into bed, put on radio, say night night and leave the room as older children free range downstairs. Radio also drowns out any noise from downstairs, eg phone or door bell or children playing noisy games

4. Likes Maza, ziggy, loocyloo liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I always have a radio on classic FM in the bedrooms where babies sleep - it reassures them when I put then into bed while still awake (whereas parents rock them to sleep in arms first) as I only have time to pop them into bed, put on radio, say night night and leave the room as older children free range downstairs. Radio also drowns out any noise from downstairs, eg phone or door bell or children playing noisy games
    I do the same, leave radio on low volume and it seems to stop disturbance from other noises like doorbell etc. Maybe it would be worth trying. All 3 of my mindees sleep 2-3 hours every afternoon and are all in travel cots

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I may give the music a try :-)

7. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to butt in but can I just clarify about not using upstairs if not registered. I thought this wasn't the case anymore? Actually since eyfs changed in 2012?! Am I wrong? I just remember when I first started in 2009 I originally had downstairs registered but then had to ask ofsted to register upstairs bedroom too for practicality. However I thought all those conditions were then removed so it was up to us what was considered appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi tigwig, I'm pretty sure you're right on this, but I am aware that the inspector noted on my pre reg visit that I was only using downstairs so I felt I would still want to clarify with ofsted if I decided to change this. I'm not changing it anyway, going to take on board peoples suggestions though to see if she may sleep longer :-)

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Anotherone butting in..lol
    When I first registerd 6 1/2 years ago, I also had it put on my registration that the only room to be used up stairs was my bedroom and en suite for sleeping babies and accidents of a pooey (is that a word..lol) nature.
    My boys were that bit older than the minded children and had all sort of unsuitable toys for exploring babies or toddlers, plus I also thought they need to be able to have somewhere to chill out away from childminding noise, if you get what I mean.
    Anyhow as some one else above said, this was taken off my registration too, I still dont let the minded children up stairs, they accept this is the way it is (although im sure theyd love to go have a look..lol)
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please take care with what you are using to provide extra comfort in case of accident you need to follow manufacturer instructions or could invalidate your insurance if God forbid anything happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Watford whizz, I'm going to do as someone suggested and look at proper mattress toppers for travel cots x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12