What do you want in a childminding book?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you want in a childminding book?

Hi all,

As you probably know I'm the author of the Registered Childminding the Secrets of Success. We are thinking of updating it with a third edition but wanted to ask you a few questions... First, does anyone still buy text books?

We are thinking of a couple of options, we could update the whole book but keep basically the same content, slim it down (reducing the cost) keeping stuff specific to childminders, or we could replace it with a couple of shorter books on topics not covered well elsewhere eg. policy writing. We could also go digital and just make content available online.

What do you think? What information do you want, or think there is a gap in the market for and what format do you like - big detailed books, short specific books, ebooks, or just short articles?

Thanks
    Tunja

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I still buy text books...although I have a kindle and access iBooks and stuff online I do like having a book to hold!!
    My bookshelf is bursting at the seams with all sorts.
    I also like a big chunky book that is full of interesting and useful stuff...
    Saying that, I imagine smaller more focused books would sell well.

Apologies if that sounds vague lol but that's me

Nice big book, full of info...perfect!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Simona Guest

I have to apologize because I have not come across your book ...so unaware of the contents and what could be added or tweaked
    Any chance of telling us the publishers so I can take a look?...or what it was about...the authors as you say 'we' are thinking of updating the book

I am for books....I love them, the smell ...the feel and the fact I can write in them....put lots of sticky notes inside for quick reference
    Like Bumble Beez ...my library is full of them

Apart from that I would say there is plenty of room to write ...or update...a book about the 'world of childminding' as it constantly develops and evolves and especially at this particular time in our history

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tunja, I have a signed copy of your book from 2003 and I used to have it with me alongside other books when tutoring on ICP and DHC. My copy is 2002 and at that time the information was was up-to-date, extremely relevant to childminders and particularly helpful for new childminders. Of course we now have EYFS, new inspection framework etc etc. I think it must be difficult to write a book that includes so much information already covered by other well known authors who tend to produce new texts linked to level 3 courses.

However, childminders generally appreciate someone who understands the uniqueness of our role and responsibilities. There are now so many consultants and trainers, different styles of text books and childminders with a diverse range of experience and qualifications. It must be difficult to determine the audience but a book that childminders can dip in and out of with scenarios and examples of good practice will always help to support and guide childminders.
    Good luck

5. Likes loocyloo, mum67 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have to apologize because I have not come across your book ...so unaware of the contents and what could be added or tweaked
    Any chance of telling us the publishers so I can take a look?...or what it was about...the authors as you say 'we' are thinking of updating the book

I am for books....I love them, the smell ...the feel and the fact I can write in them....put lots of sticky notes inside for quick reference
    Like Bumble Beez ...my library is full of them

Apart from that I would say there is plenty of room to write ...or update...a book about the 'world of childminding' as it constantly develops and evolves and especially at this particular time in our history

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Registered-C...ets+of+Success
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 15-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2002 copy and bought it for tips with the advent of Ofsted.

It still has some very relevant information but does need updating to reflect the EYFS and many other changes that have happened in the intervening 12 years.

It still has all the National Standards, those were the days so simple and easy to follow!

The bit regarding CRBs needs updating to DBS

The Suitable Person Interview I would think needs to be updated, Certificates have changed.

A bit about being Registered with the Environmental Health Dept and what might happen if they Inspect.

Add in new Legislation and about CM Agencies

New stuff about Offering Funded Places

Accredited Networks no longer exist.

I think maybe some clear help on Contracts and the need to have clear info in them on payments, Deposits, Retainers (the difference between the two).and any other info individual to your business What do do if a parent doesn't pay maybe some example letters. Also example letters for giving Notice as this crops up quite often.

I think it is a fab book with very clear easily read information so if updated will you let me know because I will buy one! It is one book I wouldn't sell!
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 15-08-2014 at 12:59 PM.

8. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I like books as they are easier to reference quickly I would also prefer to buy one bigger book than lots of smaller ones and personally would go for the book that had all the information in one place than having to buy lots of little ones, ( sorry) as this would save me money.

x

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Tunja, thank you so much. I got your book from my library probably about two and a half years ago now when i first started to think about childminding and if it was for me. Although I realised some of it was out of date it was fantastic for me, packed with so much information. I constantly re borrowed it over and over again and made so many notes from it, I used some of your book for my CYPOP5 and my assignments/references. Then surfing the net for more information came across this fab site which has become my new best friend
    So for me an updated version I think would be great, but so much to pack in there!
    Once again thanks from a grateful childminder x

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you have something with a published book that isn't really available anywhere else.

I have my e-books and lots of free information on websites - little bits on all sorts of things - but you have one big resource that probably won't take that long to update in the scheme of things.

if marketed well through LAs and (dare i say it) agencies it could fill a gap especially for training

13. Likes rickysmiths, mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thanks for the link RS....
    2002 is a long time ago and so much water has gone under the CMs bridge......big books I like with all the info in one like Tina Bruce Child Development...thick and all inclusive

Also maybe worth revisiting EPPE and RIPEY...the 2 projects where CMs are featured...REPEY best of all
    There is also research about the various tiers of CMs which are fascinating and still exist
    Of all the protagonists in the EY sector ...CMs have evolved most and are still evolving

The rise and fall...and the inequality created by CMs networks will be the chapter I will be most interested to read...although I have enough info to write about those myself!!!

Good luck

Apologies as I mentioned RIPEY ...it should have been REPEY
    Last edited by Simona; 18-08-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona...
    Will look forward to reading your book
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beez View Post
    Simona...
    Will look forward to reading your book
    I have been meaning to do so for years....stuck I am afraid...not on information but where does one start when writing a book? I don't have that skill but not too late to learn?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend writes professionally for magazines, websites etc...and she is now half way through her first book.
    I'm not sure how she is going about getting published as I think its going to be Kindle version to begin with...but definitely never too late to learn!!
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link RS....
    2002 is a long time ago and so much water has gone under the CMs bridge......big books I like with all the info in one like Tina Bruce Child Development...thick and all inclusive

Also maybe worth revisiting EPPE and RIPEY...the 2 projects where CMs are featured...REPEY best of all
    There is also research about the various tiers of CMs which are fascinating and still exist
    Of all the protagonists in the EY sector ...CMs have evolved most and are still evolving

The rise and fall...and the inequality created by CMs networks will be the chapter I will be most interested to read...although I have enough info to write about those myself!!!

Good luck

Apologies as I mentioned RIPEY ...it should have been REPEY
    Hi Simona
    Sorry me again,where would I find the above mentioned to read up on please (EPPE and REPEY).
    I think you would write a fabulous book with all your knowledge and insight of childcare, look forward to it, Bumble Beez please ask your friend how Simona gets started with this, and quickly please

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I think you have something with a published book that isn't really available anywhere else.

I have my e-books and lots of free information on websites - little bits on all sorts of things - but you have one big resource that probably won't take that long to update in the scheme of things.

if marketed well through LAs and (dare i say it) agencies it could fill a gap especially for training
    Sarah707
    I have a couple of your e-books and they have helped me so much. I am just revisiting the 7 areas of learning (your e-book).
    For newbies I recommend you buy this to help you. On my pre reg course when they spoke about the 7 areas, outcomes, characteristics of learning, early learning goals I thought 'What the hell, am I on the wrong course I want to be a childminder not a nursery teacher' I never thought I would grasp it and I am a quick learner.

I bought the e-book and from reading the first few pages I suddenly saw how they all connect and what goes where and which is first. What simple things you can have and do to cover all these areas without getting your knickers in a twist.

We were told on pre reg we had to have Penny T****** book, I searched every shop in Manchester for it and had to get it from Amazon in the end, we referred to it ONCE throughout the course, and told to read it at home it will help us so much. My poor feet ached, my stress levels were in riot mode looking for that b****y book all for a two minute glimpse. It is a good book but I have gained much much more from this website and it's forum members.

I have never heard the above book which I refer to being recommended on here yet but I would read any that have been because I trust what you all recommend to me is going to be very helpful. I look forward to the updated version of Tunja's book.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Hi Simona
    Sorry me again,where would I find the above mentioned to read up on please (EPPE and REPEY).
    I think you would write a fabulous book with all your knowledge and insight of childcare, look forward to it, Bumble Beez please ask your friend how Simona gets started with this, and quickly please

EPPE link
    http://www.ioe.ac.uk/RB_Final_Report_3-7.pdf

REPEY
    http://www.ioe.ac.uk/REPEY_research_report.pdf

Sue Owen did a very good research on CMs for NCB...worth reading and more recent ...2011

http://ncb.org.uk/media/496733/child...port_final.pdf
    Last edited by Simona; 18-08-2014 at 02:37 PM.

21. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

EPPE link
    http://www.ioe.ac.uk/RB_Final_Report_3-7.pdf

REPEY
    http://www.ioe.ac.uk/REPEY_research_report.pdf

Sue Owen did a very good research on CMs for NCB...worth reading and more recent ...2011

http://ncb.org.uk/media/496733/child...port_final.pdf
    Thank you very much Simona, if there was a smilie for a bunch of flowers I would've sent it to you because you are

Simona Guest

I have just found this book in my library: Childminding A Guide to good Practice (2nd edition) by Christine Hobart and Jill Frankel (2003) and endorsed by the wonderful Gill Haynes who was at NCMA at the time
    It is still available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+good+practice

24. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I no longer read books as I have a latex allergy so read everything through book readers on the iPad now.
    I too have not heard of your book, sounds very comprehensive though, with all the changes recently an upto date sort of manual would be very useful.