Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Teaching British values...

I have been having some thoughts about the latest Govt directive for early years providers to teach children 'fundamental British values' ...

I hope you find them interesting and thought provoking

Sarah's Blog: Teaching children British values

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read, Floradora was discussing this on another thread with myself and Simona the other day.
    Oops I only scored 6 so not very British at all apparently, I do have Irish descent in me so I shall use that as my excuse

Will they stop bringing something new in that Ofsted pick up on I'll never catch up.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ooo, I scored 9 out of 10, but I don't do sport so that's my excuse lol

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why these are 'British values', I think they're good values which are taught to the children of good people from all over the world.

I scored 6/10- it's a good thing I passed the life in the UK test a few years ago, I wouldn't have passed it today!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Phew, I was worried, I only scored 7

Thanks Sarah for the blog, certainly helpful

xxx

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CookieCutter View Post
    I don't see why these are 'British values', I think they're good values which are taught to the children of good people from all over the world.

I scored 6/10- it's a good thing I passed the life in the UK test a few years ago, I wouldn't have passed it today!
    This is exactly what Floradora was saying the other day.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The consultation link in your Blog seems to take me to something about School Finance? (yes, I am the only CM in the UK who actually reads these things) Thanks.

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we all can think of some British people who have values that 'stink', for want of a better word!

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't press on the link I meant the blog was an interesting read. I Daren't tap on any other links to read yet because I still have so much from Simona, Sarah and all the others which I have downloaded previously, my poor children are starting to feel neglected.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    The consultation link in your Blog seems to take me to something about School Finance? (yes, I am the only CM in the UK who actually reads these things) Thanks.
    That I understand Nicky Morgan has said we will be consulted in the near future on teaching values and also the EYFS will be tweaked to reflect this
    The link is about school finance but I think this is a separate consultation.....there is also one on the Pupil Premium and 2 year old funding currently open

The announcement about British values was made by Morgan around the 8 August so that consultation is about something else as it is dated 8 August too...maybe a bit too quick to get a consultation out so soon? but worth looking at

I think many people agree with Cookie Cutter...those are values that have no boundaries and already taught in Understanding the World 'People and Communities' with links to CL and PSED
    I am sure no one disagrees with teaching respect and so forth but why threaten providers to remove funding is puzzling...and where is the evidence that children could be radicalised in EY settings?

The quiz in The Guardian is more about knowledge that values in my view but I am sure some may not agree
    With Gove gone it has made no difference to style and approach in the DfE...nor their knowledge of EYFS or EY teaching?
    Has anyone heard from the new Childcare minister?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The 2 links at the bottom - the quiz and the blog - were a bit of light relief!

Sorry if they confused the issue :/

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Sarah...I think the 2 consultations are linked...thanks for posting the link as it will remind us to respond
    The one about the Pupil Premium and 2 year old funding does say the govt will consult on finances...hence the EY and School Finances consultation which they launched last week and closes in October

It may be useful for CMs to read the EYPP consultation...the premium is set at ...53 pence per hour per child...and it has no conditions on how it is spent
    The amount paid is the same nationally and added to the Free Entitlement
    If cms wish to respond the deadline is 22 August

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...h_foreword.pdf

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I have been having some thoughts about the latest Govt directive for early years providers to teach children 'fundamental British values' ...

I hope you find them interesting and thought provoking

Sarah's Blog: Teaching children British values
    Well all Im saying is that its not British to boast of your score

The children who come to my house will be ok - well as long as I can teach them in the true way of the force
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

17. Likes Jiorjiina liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not very British but, I scored 9 out of 10.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not going to boast either!

very interesting, thank you Sarah.

just thought ...

... does that mean we'd better stop eating pasta ? and curry ? and pizza ? and noodles ? and chilli ? and sushi ? !!!!

20. Likes Maza, mum67, rickysmiths, sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

This British value was posted on Twitter....priceless!!!

Government insists on knotted hankie on head for nursery sand & water play #BritishValues

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Buq0Et5IEAE3uzR.jpg:large

22. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That has made me smile Simona.
    Late breakfast here, toast and home made jam( from our french neighbours) is that being 'very British' since we are in France- I expect it is because I have called it jam!
    I am as British as you could get- my ' culture' has roots in Scotland and Ireland and I was the only member of my family born in England ....but I am going to boast because I am currently living in France that I scored 100% - a bit of a dodgy moment on the jury service question though!

Having lots of lovely discussions with French friends on the 'British' theme. They have all laughed and are intrigued at the difference it will make in education...and if it is different to France, its a bit difficult and I haven't got good enough french language to discuss the intolerance in what children can wear to school that might represent their faith in France.

Glad to hear Bertha has left Britain - see, very British...talking about the weather!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    That has made me smile Simona.
    Late breakfast here, toast and home made jam( from our french neighbours) is that being 'very British' since we are in France- I expect it is because I have called it jam!
    I am as British as you could get- my ' culture' has roots in Scotland and Ireland and I was the only member of my family born in England ....but I am going to boast because I am currently living in France that I scored 100% - a bit of a dodgy moment on the jury service question though!

Having lots of lovely discussions with French friends on the 'British' theme. They have all laughed and are intrigued at the difference it will make in education...and if it is different to France, its a bit difficult and I haven't got good enough french language to discuss the intolerance in what children can wear to school that might represent their faith in France.

Glad to hear Bertha has left Britain - see, very British...talking about the weather!
    I thought it might...we need one on socks and sandal wearing!!!

I too have had many discussions with people not involved in EY...they all seem of the same view...the values cross borders and are not just British and we uphold them wherever we are or whichever society we choose to settle in....or so I hope

I will keep my survey result for Ofsted as evidence that...despite not being British...I do agree with those values...now back to my espresso shot and Panini!!!

25. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    This British value was posted on Twitter....priceless!!!

Government insists on knotted hankie on head for nursery sand & water play #BritishValues

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Buq0Et5IEAE3uzR.jpg:large
    Gosh I remember my grandpas doing that when we went to the Beach!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast