Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Just found this document when looking for something:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...hildcarers.doc

This is the quote on page 1:
    'Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
     on the premises at any time while childcare is provided, or
     in the presence of a child receiving childcare.
    Both parts
    CR1.9
    Home childcarers must not smoke, or consume or be under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on their ability to provide childcare) or alcohol while providing childcare. '

So after all our discussions its written in black and white - he can't.
    Good luck with your discussions!
    Thanks for this Flora Dora. I thought I'd seen that before somewhere, but had lost trace of the document (possibly assuming - or hoping - Ofsted had dropped it.)

It looks like another case of "thank you very much Ofsted". Not content with applying the regulations, they write new, additional regulations under the cover of "interpretation". Why on Earth are they allowed to get away with this?

Let's think this through for a mo. "Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol ................. in the presence of a child receiving childcare."

One has to assume this does not merely mean "whilst minding a child". That would be so obvious as to not need spelling out: it's already clear in the regs. So surely this little gem has to mean we cannot smoke, drink, etc. when a minded child is present even if we are not working at the time. So, if we were to hold another summer garden party for all our client families, as we have in the past, we would not be allowed a drink. If I'm in a pub or restaurant, enjoying a glass of cider/wine/beer and a mindee and family walk in, I have to leave the meal unfinished, settle the bill and leave ..... or be in breach of Ofsted's "interpretation" of the regs. What if I'm in the doctor's waiting room, seeing them about some medication and they walk in? According to this "interpretation" I have to leave. And when client parents invite you to their wedding? "yes, I'd be delighted to come along, but we cannot join in the toasts, or I'll lose my registration....?"

Insane.

This is not at all practical when you have 3 clients living in the same block, including friends of the family.
    Last edited by bunyip; 29-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.

2. Likes Rickers83, FloraDora liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh does that mean we have to make sure the parents don't drink.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jackie 7;1372198]Oh does that mean we have to make sure the parents don't drink.[/QUOTE

I don't think so- to my understanding there are no regulations,government documents for parents (there certainly wasn't when I had my children - just get on with it), just for trained, registered professionals!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Koala: If Gove stayed in his post, I think that sort of thing would've only been a matter of time.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip: I'm sorry to say "some people need it!"

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting conversations and questions. I've never really thought about it as I finish work at 6pm and although I'd love to get the gin out mid afternoon I have to restrain myself...lol
    It is a good question and the answer is probably no he shouldn't while you still have mindees as ofsted wouldn't like it at all.
    I can visualise the inspector doing a visit while hubbie is sat on a deckchair supping a beer....lol

But what really gets to me is the way we have to protect the children and shield them from everything.....I understand about the smoking and obviously no ones going to lay out drugs on the table but a cold beer after work to me is just a way to relax after a hard day. No ones getting drunk and everything is good in moderation.
    To have alcohol out of reach is common sense but to have it out of sight is just plain stupid. And to not have it in your fridge is even more crazy. Alcohol should be part of life and children should know that anything in moderation is ok. We, as adults cook with alcohol and can enjoy a drink of wine with a meal without getting smashed.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

9. Likes Koala, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Interesting conversations and questions. I've never really thought about it as I finish work at 6pm and although I'd love to get the gin out mid afternoon I have to restrain myself...lol
    It is a good question and the answer is probably no he shouldn't while you still have mindees as ofsted wouldn't like it at all.
    I can visualise the inspector doing a visit while hubbie is sat on a deckchair supping a beer....lol

But what really gets to me is the way we have to protect the children and shield them from everything.....I understand about the smoking and obviously no ones going to lay out drugs on the table but a cold beer after work to me is just a way to relax after a hard day. No ones getting drunk and everything is good in moderation.
    To have alcohol out of reach is common sense but to have it out of sight is just plain stupid. And to not have it in your fridge is even more crazy. Alcohol should be part of life and children should know that anything in moderation is ok. We, as adults cook with alcohol and can enjoy a drink of wine with a meal without getting smashed.
    I could not agree more!!!!!
    Tess1981

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Why does this country have such a hang-up about alcohol? Wouldn't it be so much better if children had a sensible introduction to alcohol as they seem to do all over Europe (some might argue for other drugs too) instead of total demonisation which only seems to create the very problems it claims to solve?

I had alcoholic grandparents, so I've seen my fair share of what can go wrong. But I've also known people's lives ruined by plenty of other things: road accidents, business failures, banking collapses - and no-one is trying to demonise all drivers or anyone with a business or a cheque book.

I can't believe how eager the authorities and self-appointed moral standard-bearers are to link alcohol to every single little problem with society. I'll give an example. A friend of mine was hit by a car whilst crossing the road at a pelican crossing. He had been in the pub, but was perfectly sober. The driver had not been drinking, and the accident was attributed to the driver using her mobile phone at the time. My friend was ok and recovered. Some time later, he was contacted by one of those damages law firms. They told him they had the police report of the accident and said he'd be entitled to a higher level of compensation because the accident had been logged as "alcohol related". He queried this because he knew the driver had not been drinking. The law firm said, yes, they knew the driver had passed a breathalyzer test, but the police classified it as "alcohol-related" because my friend had just been on licensed premises, even though he was also sober and the report said his actions had in no way contributed to the accident! In other words, all accidents, crimes, etc. are defined as "alcohol-related" whenever there is the opportunity to make the most tenuous link with drink, even if there is absolutely no way the alcohol could've had any bearing on the incident! Worth remembering next time you see/hear the term "alcohol related" casually dropped into a news report or government statistic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123