Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

But what if you had a mindee from a family where alcohol was seen as a problem or taboo either for personal/family reasons or cultural reasons? You may not even realise the families thoughts about alcohol as there is probably no need for it to have been discussed. It's not always just about religion.
    If I am not sure if something is acceptable or not I always ask myself ...... If Ofsted were to knock on my door right now what would they say?

xxx

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    But what if you had a mindee from a family where alcohol was seen as a problem or taboo either for personal/family reasons or cultural reasons? You may not even realise the families thoughts about alcohol as there is probably no need for it to have been discussed. It's not always just about religion.
    If I am not sure if something is acceptable or not I always ask myself ...... If Ofsted were to knock on my door right now what would they say?

xxx
    If I had a mindee from a family where alcohol was seen as a problem I would respect this and find another use for my wine rack.....A friend of mine keeps her t towels rolled up in hers as its huge, they look quite colourful.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was getting inspected I was asked what I would do if my 18 year old son came home in a joyful manner after having a few after work. Explained that he would not be with the children and would just inform parents. Discussed alcohol as we have wine/beer fridge and the inspector was fine with explanation that I would not drink with children and that if partner did it would only be the odd one as mentioned after work. As for culture and other reasons it's the real world and they will encounter it at some part in their lives. Discreation is key x

4. Likes FloraDora, Koala liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as your hubby is not at the door with a beer in hand with only his vest on, then it has nothing to do with the parent what he does in his own house. They should also understand that after a certain time, people will have a drink and as long as it's not you drinking I cannot see what their problem would be unless they were teetotalers. Lol!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

At a mindee's home the parents have a glass cabinet (toddler height) full of wine and spirits. No lock on the door! Trying to hide things in plain sight I suppose. I think that will change once the kids become aware of what exactly is in the cabinet, in the living room...
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree with Mouse. I'd be more concerned that my OH was showing a lack of consideration for my job, my business, my choices. We hear a lot of "I'll do what I like in my own home", but a lot of that ceases to be the case when we choose, freely, to use our home as a place of work and a place of safety for other people's children.

That said, I don't see how the DH having a moderate level of alcoholic drink breaches any regulations. If he is not "the practitioner" then there is no bar (unfortunate choice of word ) on him drinking within EYFS.

I would be cautious however if there were any concerns from client families on the issue of alcohol; alcohol abuse within a family; or cultural sensitivities. You might also find Ofsted inspectors being individually difficult. This makes it tricky, cos I don't know whether it would be better to keep it low-key or go out of my way to show I'd consulted and OK-ed it all with client parents.

Really, there are 2 related problem at play here. One is the very British attitude to alcohol as a 'problem' when most other societies seem not to need to criminalise and make it problematic. The other problem is Ofsted's habit of making up new regulations by 'interpreting' or over-extending the EYFS regs.

I recall my Ofsted inspector commenting that she liked the way my beer/cider was stored out of sight, out of reach and locked away. It all seemed a bit OTT. It occurred to me at the time to ask what the blinking flip she thought she was talking about: it's not like my 2yo mindees at the time had sufficient dexterity to operate a bottle opener!

8. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump in, but just wanted to ask...my childminding co-ordinator said I'm not allowed to keep alcohol in the fridge (or anywhere on view) but the inspector didn't mention anything on my pre-reg visit (I completely forgot to ask). Does anyone know about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieH View Post
    Sorry to jump in, but just wanted to ask...my childminding co-ordinator said I'm not allowed to keep alcohol in the fridge (or anywhere on view) but the inspector didn't mention anything on my pre-reg visit (I completely forgot to ask). Does anyone know about this?
    I would be keeping whatever I like in my fridge I'm afraid! It has a lock on it and Los are told not to go in the fridge if they want something they Are to ask. And also it isn't in view unless your fridge has a glass door which I'm sure it isn't! I have a glass fronted cupboard (top one) and I have any spirits and wine in there and the Ofsted inspector didn't say a thing. I'm sure parents don't lock up their alcohol at home and after all we are providing a home from home environment! As long as you feel comfortable that your mindees can't access it then it should be fine!

11. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One LO when role playing usually says " loocyloo. Do you want a cup of tea or a glass of wine? " ...! And no, I don't drink when minding but have been over to parents and had a drink or had parents here and offered a drink! (Out of working hours!)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We did wine-making as a practical science project at school.

It's quite labour-intensive, so maybe a few of the lo's crushing the fruit might not be a bad idea. OTOH they do tend to be a bit grubby, and I think I'd worry they'd introduce too many bacteria and kill off the saccharomyces before the fermentation got going.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do this but what abput taking a mindee for lunch in a hotel or child friendly pub such as wether spoons or harvester?
    People will be drinking there. Would you not let anyone at your table drink?
    What if you worked seven days a week, evenings and weekends would you not participate in family gatherings and celebrations?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thing here is that it is outside Normal working hours .. Would it be different if dh was drinking at lunchtime or in afternoon ? Just a thought .. This Lo is with you 7pm Friday when most people have clocked off.. It's not you drinking it's dh, it's only one and I wouldn't worry too much but I do understand .. My dh has terrible habit of leaving his Heineken cans about for me to clear up frantically next morning! He does a pressurised job and we do try keep it to weekends but will sometimes have a couple mid week. I tell him it creates wrong impression although logically it's obvious it's evening time when mindees gone home and it's none of parents business! I think we feel judged though in our own homes and second guess everything we do so maybe we get paranoid!

16. Likes AliceK, Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough one, because although I know the mindees would come to absolutely no harm if hubby had a beer after work (and I'm sure he has done) I would be mortified if the parents turned up early and saw him drinking, even though I know they all like a drink themselves.

18. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just found this document when looking for something:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/defau...hildcarers.doc

This is the quote on page 1:
    'Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
     on the premises at any time while childcare is provided, or
     in the presence of a child receiving childcare.
    Both parts
    CR1.9
    Home childcarers must not smoke, or consume or be under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on their ability to provide childcare) or alcohol while providing childcare. '

So after all our discussions its written in black and white - he can't.
    Good luck with your discussions!

20. Likes Maza, Lal, Rickers83 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

'Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
    Both parts
    CR1.9
    Home childcarers must not smoke, or consume or be under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on their ability to provide childcare) or alcohol while providing childcare. '

Wow. This puts a dampner on things. Thanks for finding this. It's amazing none of us knew about it really.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

oh dear, not an easy one

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I wouldn't allow DH to drink alcohol while mindees are here. No way. But if he's adimit he's having one compromise go out of view For example next door!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

Both parts
    CR1.9

Thank you Flora Dora for pointing to this document...which is current and amongst the many Ofsted have published for our benefit

Rather strange though...that while Ofsted explains very clearly about alcohol in their publication...and I have to admit that is how I interpreted it for years both in terms of where to store alcohol and when it can ...or cannot be consumed in a setting...there is no mention of alcohol in EYFS 12 or 14...

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Childminding does take over the home, so the OHs and children, even friends who would otherwise pop in but don't, have to put up with a lot. Like someone else said, just pour it into a coloured glass, then no one can even see what he is drinking.
    After a full day working, would we want to walk into our living room and into the OHs workplace or just chill for a bit

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion but I think it would be better for you ,to safeguard you from a potential complaint that he either waits till 7pm, goes to the pub, you go out and come back at 6.45, change working hours, separate husband with can and he takes over garden for the last couple of hours? My OH loves a beer or two in the garden, especially in this weather! fortunately for me mindee goes at 5.45 and he gets in about 6.15!! But I have on occasion shut OH in the front room if he is home early so he can watch telly, so maybe you could do something similar?

27. Likes AliceK liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast