Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Also, don't you just love that 'Yanks', starring Richard Gere was filmed around there? Everyone knows someone who was an 'extra' in that film! In fact, my mindees dad was an extra in it!
    Yes I loved that!

I remember the markets - I think Ashton had some white writing on the floor?

Hyde market and the roundabout, used to be in the middle of the market but I think it ended up on the edge. It was 2d ( tuppence) a go! I liked the fire engine - you could go upstairs!

And meschias ice cream! The teddy ices from the van - lovely!

Wibble x

wobbling my way through life....
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean about loving the 'grime'. Whenever I see Lowry's paintings (especially the one where they are all walking home after working at the mill) it makes me all nostalgic.

Yes, my Auntie (really mum's friend) said Shipman had a lovely bedside manner, she loved him!

Did you all used to visit the markets - Ashton, Stockport, Oldham, Bury...
    We also did the parks in the holidays - Lyme Park, Stamford Park, Cheethams Park, Heaton Park...
    And the Working Mens Clubs - they always had great Christmas Parties for kids when we were little!
    I don't come from any where near manchester or Tameside but....I have this picture!! Bought in a moment of Happy manchester weekend visiting son and the Lowry gallery! I also have a Lowry sea scape that I love - not at all Lowryish and an Edwardian Brighton scene by Chapman - where my other son lives...lovely to look at and a link with children and where they live.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

"And he painted match stalk men and match stalk cats and dogs" Can't stop singing that right now - well, I have to because hubby has just told me to!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I live in Mossley and have done all my life. I've been on here about a year and never come across anyone from tameside x

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Hi I live in Mossley and have done all my life. I've been on here about a year and never come across anyone from tameside x
    Do you still have the Whit Friday brass bands? I used to love that. We used to get new clothes for the parade.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you all used to visit the markets - Ashton, Stockport, Oldham, Bury... We also did the parks in the holidays - Lyme Park, Stamford Park, Cheethams Park, Heaton Park... And the Working Mens Clubs - they always had great Christmas Parties for kids when we were little!
    My 93 year old nana and grandad live in edgerly in Stockport and every day without fail they get on the bus to the markets, Ashton oldham Hyde and bury. They've done it for about 30 years since retirement. I've got fond memories of being dragged around those markets-usually in the rain-back when I was younger!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you still have the Whit Friday brass bands? I used to love that. We used to get new clothes for the parade.
    We most definitely do. I took my little boy this year and we walked with my old primary school. He's one (now) and spent the entire day dancing to brass bands or sleeping next to a band! Haha!

I really do live the fact I can say I come from Tameside and especially Mossley. I'm proud of my background and my roots and have been known to enter one or two heated debates about the respectability of the area! (Namely with my mil which is rich as she spent a chunk of her childhood and early adult years here and my hubby lived here until being 16 and then we returned at 24!)

I live all the proper markets scattered around Tameside but my all time favourites have to be bury market for the black pudding and new potatoes (ritual lunch whilst walking round as a child) and Oldham market for the vast array of fruit and vegetables stalls (many an hour spent discussing new fruits or vegetables we had never encountered before).

Such a small world really when you think about it! xx

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    You have now!

I'm Mossley born and bred too!

xx

14. Likes Maza liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12