How fiercely do you hang onto your day off?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up my day off for a Family that had been with me for a long time, as a huge favour to them as they were desperate.
    After a couple of months, I took on another LO that day, as I though I was working anyway, so might as well make it worth my while.
    3 months later the original family then changed their days back to how they were originally!
    I was then stuck having to still work my day off as I'd taken on the new LO.

Think very hard about giving up your day off, they are very precious
    Toothfairy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    I gave up my day off for a Family that had been with me for a long time, as a huge favour to them as they were desperate. After a couple of months, I took on another LO that day, as I though I was working anyway, so might as well make it worth my while. 3 months later the original family then changed their days back to how they were originally! I was then stuck having to still work my day off as I'd taken on the new LO. Think very hard about giving up your day off, they are very precious
    That's what I am afraid of , as it doesn't seem worth it to work for five euros an hour I probably will add in more! Mum said it was possible it might only be for six months but we all know how these things go and also the mum who is on a four day a week will probably need five by then anyway!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not my day off ... But my easy mornings ... Just had a mum ring wanting from 7am for 3 schoolies ... 5 mornings ...
    I know the children ... They are lovely but it would be chaos here and they would want to be doing activities and being LOUD. I do start at 7.30 but with LOs and we just have quiet bumbling along whilst my children get ready for school and dh gets ready for work!
    I just said I couldn't start that early ( as it is I don't often get out of bed before 7! )

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have Mondays off. I then had a baby needing full time care Mon-Fri 7.45-6pm and another existing parent needing to work an extra day so I gave up my day off. Roll on 3 and a half years and I am now going to have Wednesdays off from September and I will be using it to do paperwork and washing etc so I can have my weekends back.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So general consensus is hang onto it if I can!! I have asked other mummy about swapping, and mum with new job is gonna ask again if she can have Fridays ... So all is not lost. Think I will just have to wait and see what happens sigh

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hang on to it too. I gave up my Friday off to do ad hoc care for a current mindee. It was meant to be 1-2 a month and only until 3 so I decided to do it. But it was really hard only having 1 child (I really like a few!), knowing I was working for much less than minimum pay for giving up my day off and I usually worked 3 a month. I stopped doing it after a few months as mum could change her hours slightly. Then my ad hoc school child starting booking Friday after school. I have just stopped them completely and have adjusted opening hours to mon-thurs as I will be using Friday to study for my degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I would hang on to it too. I gave up my Friday off to do ad hoc care for a current mindee. It was meant to be 1-2 a month and only until 3 so I decided to do it. But it was really hard only having 1 child (I really like a few!), knowing I was working for much less than minimum pay for giving up my day off and I usually worked 3 a month. I stopped doing it after a few months as mum could change her hours slightly. Then my ad hoc school child starting booking Friday after school. I have just stopped them completely and have adjusted opening hours to mon-thurs as I will be using Friday to study for my degree.
    Thanks for reply .. Would u hang on to it even if it meant losing a current mindee? Course it might not come to that I hope! But if it did ...

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely now as I will be studying and definitely wouldn't have the time otherwise but if I wasn't is probably find myself in the same situation again where I'd say yes and then regret it! So really should say no. It's really hard! I'm having issues over needing to change a contract by 15 mins and have decided i will have to accept that I will lose it rather than back down -I'm meeting with mum tomorrow for a contract review. Agh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Definitely now as I will be studying and definitely wouldn't have the time otherwise but if I wasn't is probably find myself in the same situation again where I'd say yes and then regret it! So really should say no. It's really hard! I'm having issues over needing to change a contract by 15 mins and have decided i will have to accept that I will lose it rather than back down -I'm meeting with mum tomorrow for a contract review. Agh!
    Well done for taking a stand hope your meeting goes well!!

I am feeling I don't want to work my day off..
    Gonna check with the other mum if she is indeed going back five days in January, and if she can switch days off this am.. If not I think I might say I can't facilitate. I worked it out and wouldn't be any better off financially unless I took on extra kids those days, so why would I work five days instead of four for the same money ?! I know if I do I might lose her but you do have to draw the line somewhere don't you or you would be working weekends too and crack of dawn Til sundown

What's the issue with your mum .. Arriving too early or too late to pick up?

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok other mum not keen on changing days, her boss is not very nice and has just signed off on Fridays until end jan, she would have to reapply.. Attitude was kind of 'I suppose I could ask'.. So not keen!!

Apparently she isn't going back to a five day a week until around may! She is saving holidays for use one day a week from end jan when her parental leave runs out (we
    Get something like 75 days here unpaid for the first 5 years of a child's life but most parents use it like this) then she gets more hols in April as they are April to April .. So if I say no to new mum I could keep my day off Til then!

New mum I feel is going to go for job either way..

Post Thanks / Like

Have text new mum and said I am sorry the other mum isn't in a position to change her days and it won't work for me going back to five days with my own family commitments. Have to say I feel relieved now decision is made! She messaged back and said she totally understands she is waiting on new manager to get back to her and will talk to husband tonight.. I said I hope we can work something out and maybe we can find someone who can do Fridays. We will see.. I would have resented it now knowing I can have my day off Til may!! Luckily I am busy with enquiries so hopefully I could fill the space if I have to.. Not nice to come back to it after my hols but what can u do?!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Smurfette hope things all work out for you.

My issue is child been with me for 19 months now and I have been collecting from home in between 2 school runs. I have really struggled to do it and have decided to stop collections. I am moving house and taking on an assistant so I used that as an excuse to make all the changes in one go. It went ok however I get the feeling they will go to a day nursery at some point as they would prefer 1 drop off point at same time each day but as I am trying to arrange drop off after school run instead of during I will be at different places on different days. It is a bit difficult but I am trying my best to meet them more than half way to what they want. Lo is settled happy and I would miss him but if they choose to go elsewhere then I feel I have offered as much as I am physically able to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12