Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maternity leave?

Hi, can I ask your opinions please?

I have decided that I don't want to take maternity leave when my baby arrives (ok, many may think I am mad but I don't want to!). My question is - is there a compulsory amount of time that I MUST take off or can I start back as soon as I want to?

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 weeks in my head but I think that might be when you're employed....not sure about self employed. I'm taking as long off as our bank account can stand!

Post Thanks / Like

You won't be entitled to pay- but I don't think their is a minimum. Just warn parents if you need surgery you will need 6 weeks recovery. What if baby is late? Are kids coming until you drop?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Will you not be entitled to smp through job centre as long as you have been paying NI. ? X

Post Thanks / Like

The law states new mothers should take a minimum rest period of two weeks after the birth of a child.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you have to not work to collect the smp?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend who is also a child minder was able to receive it for about 6 months I think. Best option is to speak to job centre x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are self employed there is no minimum time. I had an emergency CS with my DS and still went back to work after 5 days although I was not child minding, I was working from home.

xxxx

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you've been paying NI you will be entitled to maternity allowance, so even if you only take 2 weeks off at least there's a little bit coming in - it can vary depending on what you've been earning but could be up to £138.18 per week - there is a calculator on https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-maternity-pay. I'm planning on taking 4 weeks off, but may use my five keeping in touch days to take another 4 weeks off and just work one day a week for that month. X