Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default student parent - childcare grant query

Hello All

I had my first visit with a prospective parent today and I think it went really well . The parent is going back to higher education in September and will be paying me through the student childcare grant. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences of this and if so any helpful advice?

Many Thanks

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had 2 different parents in different types of HE -

Parent 1 was at a local college and the college paid me direct in arrears. I had to submit invoice and they paid by cheque - I had to chase them for payment most months I even turned up to their reception several times complete with children until I got paid they did pay if slowly

Parent 2 was at uni she got a grant and she paid each month - I had to fill a form in at the start of the year and then at the end of each term to confirm payments.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You tulip! She is going to university and she will be paid directly and then pay me. I guess my concern is that when I worked in nursery I would have student parents who would often leave owing a lot of money as their payments would stop due to poor attendance, failing grades etc.
    I am very aware that I don't want to fall into the trap of jumping on the first interested client and then having it come back to bite me in the bum

4. Likes Koala liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean - like all parents there has to be a level of trust. Take payments up front even if it is weekly - no pay = no care. Not all students are like that mine completed her course and always paid up

6. Likes Koala liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my parents gets a student grant paid to her and then she pays me. I have to fill in a form annually. I can't see that the risk of non-payment is any different in this case than someone who is working. If someone is going to drop out or get kicked off a course the same thing could happen to them in a job.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a student parent who pays the same way as Tulip's parent 2. It's very easy. I just fill a very quick form out every term to confirm her childcare costs and that's it. They pay her, she pays me. I've never had a late payment from her... Some of my other parents however...

Post Thanks / Like

I am just contemplating taking on a uni student she needs care for 3 children. It would appear that they will pay her monthly in arrears, did you take a deposit/advance payment for your students? It's an awful lot of money to loose if they opt out.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    Hello All

I had my first visit with a prospective parent today and I think it went really well . The parent is going back to higher education in September and will be paying me through the student childcare grant. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences of this and if so any helpful advice?

Many Thanks
    Those who receive grants for childcare when in HE need to fill in various forms ...or in fact one very long form with various sections in it....
    I remember it well when I went to Uni and did the same form filling
    Why don't you ask the parent to show you evidence and you can then read and find out how the system works

Make sure you agree with a parent a date for being paid and how and I am sure she will not want to default on that
    Grants for HE are paid on time to the recipients and usually direct into their bank and dealt by Student Finance England...may be worth a call to them too if you are worried but it is all done legally.

Good luck