Supporting a deaf child
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Supporting a deaf child

I have a parent visiting me on Monday with her children. Both her and her children are deaf. Does anyone have any experience of working with a deaf child? If so I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Me personally if i didn't have any experience of working with a deaf child or parent then i would find it incrediably difficult and for that reason couldn't do the childcare that was needed.It does depend on how deaf.I have learnt Makaton just a little (basic sign language) but not enough to feel i could take on a deaf child plus parent.I would need to extend on that by attending a bigger and longer course

3. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine- the mum will no doubt lipread perfectly so talk normally. Just remember to face her. Be honest and ask her questions you think you may struggle with. See deaf as a different language. Just provide the right resources. I picked up bsl quickly and if you use it you will be great! Mum knows you are hearing and still wants to visit. If you are happy to support this child then go for it!!!

5. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My ex-sister in law and my niece are deaf and the lip read, didn't sign - both spoke clearly, my niece had a bit of difficulty but you will basically do what they do at home - I wouldn't be concerned about taking them on personally

7. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Petshrinklj View Post
    I have a parent visiting me on Monday with her children. Both her and her children are deaf. Does anyone have any experience of working with a deaf child? If so I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance
    I am sure that this family will have support from other professionals
    Make sure you record everything during the interview and then agree with the parents where to get additional support for yourself as I am sure there will be someone able to help you look after the child and fully include her/him in your setting

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I sign bsl and have deaf mindee child. There are lots of professionals that will be involved and able to provide support to you and family.

I would have some kind of welcome pack to give them that covers all information, so they can read it, and you can point to it too.

Have pen and paper handy to write things down if hard to communicate, but I expect they can lip read perfectly. Just make sure you face them!

Or they bring a hearing friend with them?

They must have liked your profile to want to visit you, so you will be fine.

If you need any ideas then pm me.

Good luck.

10. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post