Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted due and first aid invalid for 3 day period, advice please

Hi, I am due to carry out my pediatric first aid training over 2 Saturdays at the end of June, which commences on the 21st, my previous certificate expires on the 25th which will result in a 3 day overlap in which my certificate runs and the completion of my course. The LA approved training in my area is limited so there wasn't a great deal of choice in dates so went with this.

Ofsted rang this week and want to do my visit next week (5 years since they last came out), Im sure they are going to pick up on this and Im getting really worried that my insurance wont be valid and I may get marked down.

Has anybody got any advice they can give me as im getting in a flap x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you book those 3 days off so you wont be working?

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

That would mean letting down 5 families, but yeh if my insurance is invalid I guess I wont have a choice. think the only alternative is to search for another first aid course that commences sooner x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but its 3 days versus your registration. If there is a course available sooner then it goes without saying grab it. But personally I dont think its worth jeopardising your registration when you can book 3 days off.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish007 View Post
    Hi, I am due to carry out my pediatric first aid training over 2 Saturdays at the end of June, which commences on the 21st, my previous certificate expires on the 25th which will result in a 3 day overlap in which my certificate runs and the completion of my course. The LA approved training in my area is limited so there wasn't a great deal of choice in dates so went with this.

Ofsted rang this week and want to do my visit next week (5 years since they last came out), Im sure they are going to pick up on this and Im getting really worried that my insurance wont be valid and I may get marked down.

Has anybody got any advice they can give me as im getting in a flap x
    If Ofsted inspect you next week your FA is still valid...when she checks it and asks for your refresher tell the inspector you are booked already for that and show her the evidence
    Another suggestion is you call your LA ask for their advice...see what they suggest but FA courses do not run every Saturday so there is always that problem of a small overlap while you complete the course

Good luck

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted will say that you should have updated your training earlier ... you will get an inadequate grade ... it really is not worth working if you are doing it illegally

hugs xx

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, yeh Sarah its not worth it. Ive noticed a course running next weekend by St Johns ambulance but need to find out if its LA approvedx

Simona Guest

That is true ...we can always update months earlier but FA is not available every weekend...I have just searched my LA training programme and there is nothing until Sept

maybe our LAs should do better planning around F/Aid since they constantly tell us to improve on our planning skills... they should not be excluded from improving on theirs!!

9. Likes Starfish007, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There have been instances where childminders have spoken to Ofsted about their first aid certificate being out of date by a short while & Ofsted has said it's OK as long as they are booked onto a course. I would phone ofsted on Monday and check. If they say it is OK, then make sure you get it in writing. If it's not OK you will either need to get on the earlier course, or take the days off work.

11. Likes Starfish007, Koala, rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    There have been instances where childminders have spoken to Ofsted about their first aid certificate being out of date by a short while & Ofsted has said it's OK as long as they are booked onto a course. I would phone ofsted on Monday and check. If they say it is OK, then make sure you get it in writing. If it's not OK you will either need to get on the earlier course, or take the days off work.
    Thank you Mouse...That is exactly what I am going to do ...ring my LA and then call Ofsted and hear it from the horse's mouth

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend went on a course where you do me day then do the second part at home on the Internet. Think it was called tigerlilly, is anything like that available near you then ring la to see if they will approve it,our la did.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks blue bear Ive just looked and theres one near me in a couple of weeks which would be perfect, will speak to LA Monday x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a current first aid certificate when they inspect you and you can show them a receipt with dates on to prove that you have booked onto a course then I don't see how they can downgrade you on that day. My first aid course was cancelled at the beginning of March and my certificate expired at the end of March, I just managed to on another course in time.

16. Likes Koala, N/A liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I completed a St Johns paediatric first aid, it was approved by my LA......if I had waited for LA there wasn't one available for 3 months...so I went for the St Johns to start my registration rolling, but it cost £125 over free from LA!
    Paying the money is probably worth it to not get an inadequate.

18. Likes wendywu liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I completed a St Johns paediatric first aid, it was approved by my LA......if I had waited for LA there wasn't one available for 3 months...so I went for the St Johns to start my registration rolling, but it cost £125 over free from LA!
    Paying the money is probably worth it to not get an inadequate.
    Agree that paying is possibly the answer...it may have to be for me too but won't go that way until I get an answer...that will surely make More Affordable Childcare won't it?

however...if a cm can get downgraded for failing to get on a non existent course should the LAs not get the same treatment if they fail to provide what they are supposed to be entrusted with under whichever Act it refers to?
    What goes around should also come around

20. Likes FloraDora, Koala, hectors house liked this post
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem recently and phoned PACEY - they said as long as my first aid course was booked in then my insurance was still valid - even though there was a gap of about a month. I phoned Ofsted to check and they were happy too. So I think you'll be fine.

22. Likes Koala, hectors house, rickysmiths liked this post
    mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I was told by Ofsted that I needed to ensure I had a valid certificate and that being booked on the course was not good enough !
    I ended up doing the course earlier than I needed to to make sure I was covered. It really does depend on who you speak to but as Sarah Neville says , it's not worth the risk.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely if your inspection is next week, you do not have a worry. You are being inspected for that day and not the future. If she asks if you have another course booked you reply yes.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I know my inspection is next week but because it runs out very soon I think the inspector will probably ask to see proof that I am booked onto a course x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see how it is any different from when I used to go to post office to get Car Tax (do it on line now) but as long as your MOT certificate and insurance certificate were in date you could get your tax - it didn't matter if they expired the following week.

27. Likes rickysmiths, Goatgirl liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast