Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Writing a letter for a compliance check

Hi I have been asked by one of my parent's to write a letter stating when I care for their child and how much they have paid in the last tax year.
    Does anyone have a template for this which I can use please?
    Not sure how to lay it out to make it look professional! Should I just state the weekly fee from and to, or should I add it all up for the year and state the total amount?
    Thanks, Emma

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would be tempted to do both. Write down the weekly amount and then total it also.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emmamc View Post
    Hi I have been asked by one of my parent's to write a letter stating when I care for their child and how much they have paid in the last tax year.
    Not sure how to lay it out to make it look professional! Should I just state the weekly fee from and to, or should I add it all up for the year and state the total amount?
    Thanks, Emma
    First of all have the parents told you WHO to address the letter to and the reason which you can then use as 'reference' in the letter?

Do the parents have invoices which they can produce as evidence of payment? have they paid by BAC or cash and received a receipt for each payment?

if they have a contract that is also evidence of your care and hours they pay you for....sorry to add all this but never come across anyone asking for a 'compliance letter'

let us know

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Emma
    Goodness!

Just put you name and address and 'Ofsted Registered Childminder' with your Reg Number at the top Along with the parents name and address.

Then just list payment you have received month by month. If you have issued a receipt for each payment then put the receipt number by the month. Then sign it that is all that is needed.

Having said that I have just had a parent ask for the same list because she has lost some receipts! I have now got to spend time producing her list!

I am going to change my Fees and Payments Policy to include an administration charge of £25 to produce such a list to account for my time and printing and paper.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 30-05-2014 at 06:57 AM.

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, yes she has shown me the letter from tax credits and they have asked for a letter from her childcare provider. I don't think they accept a contract because anyone can keep hold of a contract after they have left the childminder.
    I have just typed up a few lines stating amount of hours, monthly amount and total for the year.

Simona Guest

Hi, yes she has shown me the letter from tax credits and they have asked for a letter from her childcare provider. I don't think they accept a contract because anyone can keep hold of a contract after they have left the childminder.
    I have just typed up a few lines stating amount of hours, monthly amount and total for the year.
    In which case the letter is...or should be from the DWP (Dept for Work and Pension)...make sure you take a copy of the letter and if there is a 'reference' quote it in your reply

Yes that is a valid point about the contract...one point of reflection is to sign a contract 'off' at the end of care so parents cannot use it for any other purposes

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this thr norm with tax credits. ..as when I claimed a few years back I didnt have to produce any evidence. ..but now my parent needed copies of invoices and payments. ..all payments done online so very simple to print x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by k-tots View Post
    Is this thr norm with tax credits. ..as when I claimed a few years back I didnt have to produce any evidence. ..but now my parent needed copies of invoices and payments. ..all payments done online so very simple to print x
    The DWP is restructuring the whole benefit system as it is now called Universal benefit...or such like...so who knows what will be required
    We will soon know I assume and then the Free Childcare Tax kicks in...lots of changes to come

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's not the norm, no, however, they are allowed to check claims and it does seem to be happening more and more, which to be honest, is a good thing in my eyes.

I had one parent whose circumstances changed 3 times in the space of one year, and each time had to have a compliance letter.
    As far as I'm aware, her childcare claim was legit, and even after having 3 letters, I did get a phone call to verify the information given was correct. (my EY number, address, current weekly amount and annual figure for the previous year)