Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non payers

Registered Childminder since
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nogin View Post
    Some days I think it is!

There are some kids who we seem to organise everything for, bags, school trips, we let the parents know they pay the cheque. We even have to remind the parent what the child is doing at school!

I keep saying that we should offer a text message reminder service at £1 a shot!

I do wonder how these parents cope at weekends?
    When I worked with my sister we had to remind a mum to please remove the squashed black pulped banana from the front pocket of the child's school bag. It was there over a week and smelt and I was not putting my hand anywhere near it but this was a parent who expected homework done for all 3 children. I gave out to my sister as all the 3 children she had needed one to one for homework it took near 2 hours a day to do it I fell out with my sister for being a walk over as it affected the whole setting I had to look after the rest of the children while she did the homework. The kids were so badly behaved hard work and just not nice. On the end she gave notice as the thought of them having school days off and spending the whole day in our setting sent us over the edge. I actually gave my sister notice to and left to do the childcare alone
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get some Christmas tree lights on it as well. Lol

Wei must say even if we don't get paid I'm feeling better as I've had a laugh about it!
    And don't forget the bells lol
    Tess1981

3. Likes Nogin liked this post
    Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    When I worked with my sister we had to remind a mum to please remove the squashed black pulped banana from the front pocket of the child's school bag. It was there over a week and smelt and I was not putting my hand anywhere near it but this was a parent who expected homework done for all 3 children. I gave out to my sister as all the 3 children she had needed one to one for homework it took near 2 hours a day to do it I fell out with my sister for being a walk over as it affected the whole setting I had to look after the rest of the children while she did the homework. The kids were so badly behaved hard work and just not nice. On the end she gave notice as the thought of them having school days off and spending the whole day in our setting sent us over the edge. I actually gave my sister notice to and left to do the childcare alone

We've had a couple like that, my wife simply said we don't and cannot do homework with your child. They are more than welcome to sit and do it but we won't be able to help them.

There are some parents who take advantage of people's good nature as I'm finding at the moment.

We've had it all over the years, kids who have randomly destroyed toys and our kids toys, kids who have stolen stuff including my daughters IPod, rather awkward as it was a neighbours child! Parents who have forgotten to collect kids as well as a parent who turned up drunk to collect a kid!

Even my wife is now saying she'll carry on for another 3 or 4 years and then that's it!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell parents the same about homework now as well the kids can sit at the table alone and work away but sometimes if I only have one or two children I will sit with them and do a bit this might only happen once every couple of weeks and when the child has requested it. If I'm too busy for one to one I tell the child I can't today you may do it at home... but a parent drunk how did u deal with that
    Last edited by tess1981; 20-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Tess1981

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

[/RIGHT]
    Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I tell parents the same about homework now as well the kids can sit at the table alone and work away but sometimes if I only have one or two children I will sit with them and do a bit this might only happen once every couple of weeks and when the child has requested it. If I'm too busy for one to one I tell the child I can't today you may do it at home... but a parent drunk how did u deal with that
    Well Tess it was not an easy one, I was sure he had driven here, he stank of booze but I could not see his car. I had words with I'm and sent him home. We then called his wife who popped over and collected the child, she made light of it and laughed. We didn't!

The twist to this is I'm in the police and 3 weeks later my boss stopped him and arrested him for drink driving. Then he lost his job as he lost his licence and they did not require child care. It kind of worked it's self out!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people amaze me.... but well done you
    Tess1981

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Well blow me, they sent some cash... Only another £180 to go! Lol

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news...fingers crossed for the rest as soon as possible

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt.

They tend to keep a low profile.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt.

They tend to keep a low profile.
    Give the Invoice to whoever collecting. put it in an envelope and say can you make sure X gets this its very important
    Tess1981

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt. They tend to keep a low profile.
    Which goes to show that they DO know they're taking the Michael, that they are expecting a confrontation and are avoiding it..... I would not disappoint them when I see them lol

I agree, sealed envelope, please make sure x gets this, it's very important....

13. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get some Christmas tree lights on it as well. Lol

Wei must say even if we don't get paid I'm feeling better as I've had a laugh about it!
    I would absolutely refuse to take the child until all fees are up to date. Then I would only accept weekly payment in cash on the first day of care and make it very clear no money no care. End of.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 21-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.

15. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Which goes to show that they DO know they're taking the Michael, that they are expecting a confrontation and are avoiding it..... I would not disappoint them when I see them lol

I agree, sealed envelope, please make sure x gets this, it's very important....
    either that or sheer embarrassment..
    Debbie

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're at least getting somewhere with this.

I'd be terribly UNsubtle about this: count the cash in front of the relative who hands it over; announce, "£## paid, that means they still owe £## since [date]". If the client is steering clear of you, make sure the person who hands over the cash sees you count it and agrees the amount paid. Issue a receipt immediately. Otherwise, the client may try making false claims they sent more money than is actually the case, especially if they send it with different people.

Remember that paying off part of the bill should not get a client off the hook for late payments. Just cos they paid for this month but still left last month's fee outstanding does not mean they get off the late payment fee.

The fact that one of the clients has already has bailiffs reminds me. Always point out to non-/late-payers that you're prepared to put the matter in the hands of your legal people. Remind them that may include debt-recovery action, and that a CCJ awarded against them will severely limit their future ability to raise credit anywhere.

18. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I'd be terribly UNsubtle about this: count the cash in front of the relative who hands it over; announce, "£## paid, that means they still owe £## since [date]". If the client is steering clear of you, make sure the person who hands over the cash sees you count it and agrees the amount paid. Issue a receipt immediately. Otherwise, the client may try making false claims they sent more money than is actually the case, especially if they send it with different people.
    Oooo I'd be careful about telling a 3rd party that they still owe x amount Bunyip - that information is private and confidential surely
    I do agree though about counting it out so the amount is verified by the person delivering it, and handing over a receipt confirming the amount received.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooo I'd be careful about telling a 3rd party that they still owe x amount Bunyip - that information is private and confidential surely
    I do agree though about counting it out so the amount is verified by the person delivering it, and handing over a receipt confirming the amount received.

Yes, but I wouldn't. (The trick is to have my excuses ready before I 'do the deed'. You can tell I was naughty as a child, can't you? )

... and what exactly is the client going to do? Complain to Ofsted? they won't get involved cos it's about the contract/fees, nothing to do with the child's learning, development or welfare.

Exactly what law is being broken which would allow the client to resort to the police or civil action?

OK, so the client might give notice, but personally I'd rather see them disappearing over the horizon than continuing to piddle on me on a monthly basis.

Would ICO be interested, or too busy handling a little matter with FleaBay?

At worst, maybe they could refer it to local trading standards. If TS decided they didn't have enough bigger fish to fry on their under-funded budget, I'd merely argue as follows.
    The money matter has ceased to be "private and confidential" because the client has charged the 3rd party with delivering the cash. The 3rd party is therefore acting as the client's "agent" to deliver the money. They're assisting the client to deal with the account, and I'd say I was acting perfectly reasonably in relaying information back through the 3rd party in order to help them to do so. In fact, I'd feel obliged to do so.

Sounds so much better than "it just slipped out" - dontcha think?
    Last edited by bunyip; 24-05-2014 at 11:37 AM.

21. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    The money matter has ceased to be "private and confidential" because the client has charged the 3rd party with delivering the cash. The 3rd party is therefore acting as the client's "agent" to deliver the money. They're assisting the client to deal with the account, and I'd say I was acting perfectly reasonably in relaying information back through the 3rd party in order to help them to do so. In fact, I'd feel obliged to do so. Sounds so much better than "it just slipped out" - dontcha think?
    Lol, you have really thought about this I see lol

23. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not a polite letter to everyone, telling all the fun stuff you are doing, trips etc, and also a reminder about fees. For example, along the lines of....being a childminder is my chosen profession, and I love every day spent with the children, and if I could would do it for the joy. However, this is also my business, and like you, I also have bills to pay. Prompt payment of fees is required as from next invoice being sent. Also there are many expenses in running a childcare business in order to provide for your children in my care. Childcare cannot be provided until fees are paid.

Put that in your pipe n smoke it is an optional thing to say lol

Parents are taking the P !!

Mrs Nogin shouldnt worry about her good repuation, its the parents bad reputation at stake !!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, you have really thought about this I see lol
    I'm just one step away from getting my revenge in first.

26. Likes Kiddleywinks, Nogin liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

They are not paying because your wife has told them its ok not to pay her. (not verbally but by saying nothing it tells them it's ok)

It will not change unless it's dealt with. If it was a child jumping all over the sofa with shoes on,bet your wife would soon confront them, it's no different with the parents jumping all over the rules of contract.

Can't really see what she has to be afraid of by confronting them because at the movement she is paying to look after their children,she is inccuring expenses and not getting any income.

Write a letter to all parents who owe money stating they have until x date to bring their accounts up to date or the childcare arrangement will be terminated and your solicitors instructed to retrieve outstanding moneys . The places will then be given to children awaiting places.

Your wife is in a unique position being the only childminder and even if they rubbish her name she is so fed up she is thinking of giving up anyway so she will be no worse off (be better off as no expenses from the children she is currently looking after for free)

Any new families pay in advance so a week or month in advance, for ad hoc, money to be handed over when they bring child on the day or no childcare simples.
    it's hard the first couple of times but gets easier and becomes the norm.

You will all feel so much better when this is sorted.

28. Likes bunyip liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast