Baby led weaning
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby led weaning

Soooo had a difficult day with my new mindee today and chatting to dh today I am thinking one of his problems was he is hungry., he is breastfed at home as far as I can see most of the time.. He will not be fed with a spoon and she told me he was good at feeding himself. Today he ate next to nothing as when he is overtired he doesn't feed himself but other days he doesn't eat as far as I can see, anywhere near enough! Is it ok with baby led weaning to try and introduce a spoon (was planning on giving him one to play with and trying to get him to try something sweet like yoghurt ) but at ten months and being stubborn can't see it being easy lol!
    Any tips?!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I did blw with my child and im so glad I did.
    I did use a spoon when having things like yougrt or soup or beans. I would do it fornher but if she was in a stubborn mood I would load the spoon and help her guide it to her mouth.
    Blw doesnt have to be religious I must not put anything in the babys hand or I must not use a spoon.
    Is it worth trying to offer more snacks through the day like ever hour or so?
    Is mum expressing any milk for you to give little one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kidston View Post
    I did blw with my child and im so glad I did. I did use a spoon when having things like yougrt or soup or beans. I would do it fornher but if she was in a stubborn mood I would load the spoon and help her guide it to her mouth. Blw doesnt have to be religious I must not put anything in the babys hand or I must not use a spoon. Is it worth trying to offer more snacks through the day like ever hour or so? Is mum expressing any milk for you to give little one?
    Yes she gives me a bottle of milk which I fill a cup from and he does drink from, its one of those tommy tippee ones but he only takes about a quarter of it over the day

Good to know it's not religiously needing to be adhered to., I am all for them feeding themselves and have always encouraged them too but to be honest not sure in this case it's not just a bit of a cop out

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt worry how much he is eatting too much, at 10months my girl wasnt eatting much at all only bits here and there, I was prepared for this as its quite normal with blw, the point is they learn to chew before learning to swallow food and they choice when they have had enough to eat so it can take a while for them to build up their eatting. She never lost weight though or anything like that as she was getting everything she needed from my milk. My girl has never accepted expressed milk so if I had to leave her for a day she would just make up for it by feeding extra at night time and im sure its the same for this little one and mum.

Its really hard not to worry when there not eatting enough but im sure their eatting will pick up soon enough.

Once my girl was 12 months it suddenly clicked and now shr eats everything in sight! Sorry ive gone on a bit but thought my own experience might help.

This book is really helpful and doesn't take to long to read
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0091...AC_SX110_SY165

If you never have an blw questions feel free the pm me.

5. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that does help! He is weighty enough so I would say he is getting plenty of milk but I am worried he fact he is so unsettled (screams all day) .. Is he hungry?

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

That has helped me with a ble. She is 14 mts and still not a great eater but it is getting better.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes give him one to play with. Let him dip it and feed himself. Feeding him with a spoon is a bit of a no as your taking the control away from the child but to be honest I also spoonfed things like yoghurt to my dd. best to find out what mum does and how strict she is with the blw as I had a mum that was very strict on it so I never went near her dd with a spoon.

And chances are he isn't hungry. If he's able to feed himself then he would If he was hungry. Maybe offer little but often if your concerned. Things like bread sticks in between meals

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and food before one is just for fun. Blw quote. It not about quantity but about exploring food

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munch149 View Post
    Oh and food before one is just for fun. Blw quote. It not about quantity but about exploring food
    But surely that's for a baby who is with mum all day breastfeeding or is taking regular bottles?

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi murphf,

How are you?!

I'm blw ds 9m and while I allow j to feed himself the majority of the time I do also use a spoon esp for things like porridge (he's not had yoghurt yet as we are dairy free), I tend to give him loaded spoons and let him feed himself but also on occasion do feed him myself. After all they've still got to learn to eat with cutlery. However some people are very rigid with it and don't like the use of spoons at all.
    Have you spoken to mum about it? I think that would probably be my first port of call tell her what you're finding and ask her how she feels about introducing a spoon etc
    Is mum providing food? If not what sort if things are you giving him? Maybe try things that don't require too much effort to begin with if he's upset?

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    Hi murphf,

How are you?!

I'm blw ds 9m and while I allow j to feed himself the majority of the time I do also use a spoon esp for things like porridge (he's not had yoghurt yet as we are dairy free), I tend to give him loaded spoons and let him feed himself but also on occasion do feed him myself. After all they've still got to learn to eat with cutlery. However some people are very rigid with it and don't like the use of spoons at all.
    Have you spoken to mum about it? I think that would probably be my first port of call tell her what you're finding and ask her how she feels about introducing a spoon etc
    Is mum providing food? If not what sort if things are you giving him? Maybe try things that don't require too much effort to begin with if he's upset?
    Just wondering if you gave the child soup how do they eat it lol
    Tess1981

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

with a straw , seriously though I would love to know too!! x

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess in much the same way that I feed my 10 month DS, dump chunks of bread in and see how he goes? Lol!

15. Likes wee_elf liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    I'd guess in much the same way that I feed my 10 month DS, dump chunks of bread in and see how he goes? Lol!
    I have never heard of blw before so am curious why are spoons a no no? Surely we should be teaching children from as early on to use spoons and forks? Now no one jump down my throat I am only asking as know NOTHING about it
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

So he ate a lot better today! Thanks for the tip about snacking that really made a difference to our day! I suppose I don't really let the others snack but this might be the way to go with him since he is younger .. He ate a reasonable brekkie. Then snacked all morning on rice cakes and Ella cookies , had a good sleep on his full tummy, and scoffed lots this afternoon! His mum says he doesn't eat when tired so hopefully today is the norm!!

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    I dip the bread in....tbf using a spoon with soup at this age regardless how they're fed would be a challenge - very messy lol :/

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I have never heard of blw before so am curious why are spoons a no no? Surely we should be teaching children from as early on to use spoons and forks? Now no one jump down my throat I am only asking as know NOTHING about it
    Indeed we do, it's more about getting the children used to different tastes and textures as opposed to spoon feeding mushed up stuff, the theory behind it is more to do with avoiding fussy eating and encouraging dexterity,
    Once they've got to grips with handling the food you introduce cutlery, for example I give my son a spoon to play with/ or a loaded spoon at times and I will do more and more over the coming months

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    with a straw , seriously though I would love to know too!! x
    I did blw with ds and have used a straw for soup as well as a tommee tippee sippy cup.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My lo was blw and did eat yogurt himself with his fingers - very messy!
    At 3 1/2 now he is using a spoon most of the time

Nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Soooo had a difficult day with my new mindee today and chatting to dh today I am thinking one of his problems was he is hungry., he is breastfed at home as far as I can see most of the time.. He will not be fed with a spoon and she told me he was good at feeding himself. Today he ate next to nothing as when he is overtired he doesn't feed himself but other days he doesn't eat as far as I can see, anywhere near enough! Is it ok with baby led weaning to try and introduce a spoon (was planning on giving him one to play with and trying to get him to try something sweet like yoghurt ) but at ten months and being stubborn can't see it being easy lol!
    Any tips?!
    I dont mean to sound rude, but I think you should get a book and learn about baby led weaning because it sounds as if you dont really understand the concept. I BLW my children and at 10 months my boy was still drinking milk and playing with food sounding much the same as your mindee. The idea with BLW is to let the child feed themselves and give them milk until they are eating enough food to take over from the milk. Give the child a spoon or fork if you like, but if he's not swallowing food yet I'm not sure its the solution. Once they get to grips with chewing and swallowing then they eat like demons keep going with it. and ask mum questions about it too if it's a new concept to you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast