Do you charge for settling in sessions?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge for settling in sessions?

Do you charge for settling in sessions?

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

No I give up to five hours free , I think it helps soften the blow of the deposit! If parents want more or Lo needs more I charge my usual hourly rate

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I normally do 2-3 2 hour sessions for free (at a time convenient to me) like Murphf any more than that is charged at my hourly rate. I only do them after all paperwork and financial stuff has been completed.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I do 2 or 3 sessions for 2 or 3 hours free of charge.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to give 2 hours free, then wondered why!

I now charge for all settling in and the parents can have as many hours as they want

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I do similar too.
    However, I have a family currently paying me a retainer for a baby starting middle of next month full time (so you can imagine the retainer is quite a lot). As a result, I've been offering free settling in sessions for baby since March. She was coming for a couple of hours fortnightly, but she's now coming for a couple of hours weekly until her start date. I'm starting to get the impression that she's getting to know who I am and is getting more comfortable with me. By the time she starts, she will have had about 25 hours worth of settling in sessions.
    The PACEY contracts state that if you have a child during the retainer period, full cost is payable, but I personally feel that this is not justifiable in our case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HTSMumma View Post
    I do similar too. However, I have a family currently paying me a retainer for a baby starting middle of next month full time (so you can imagine the retainer is quite a lot). As a result, I've been offering free settling in sessions for baby since March. She was coming for a couple of hours fortnightly, but she's now coming for a couple of hours weekly until her start date. I'm starting to get the impression that she's getting to know who I am and is getting more comfortable with me. By the time she starts, she will have had about 25 hours worth of settling in sessions. The PACEY contracts state that if you have a child during the retainer period, full cost is payable, but I personally feel that this is not justifiable in our case.
    I did exactly the same. Lots of visits as parents were paying retainer. It really paid off as the young baby was settled and happy come their first full day with me

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer a couple of unaccompanied 2 hour sessions free once the contract is signed and deposit paid.
    If parents want more sessions, they can pay for them.

I also offer short, accompanied (mum stays) sessions if they seem useful or mum is particularly nervous.
    These are before the accompanied sessions and are also free - but they absolutely must bring cake.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree settling in on contract and all hours used are paid for. I'd never in 24 years thought of doing settling in for free.