Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default emergency overnight care

Hi

I have a family with the mum currently pregnant. She has no family or friends here and wants her husband in with her during labour. so they have no one to look after their child if the labour happens at night.

she has asked if I would be on call to have her child (he normally comes to me three days a week and will continue through her maternity leave with me for one day a week ) if she goes into labour. During the day that is fine, but

I am not registered for overnight care, would I be able to do this?

Child normally sleeps in my main bed room in travel cot when he is here during the day. So if it was at night, he would have to be in with me and husband? or could put him in lounge? as no spare rooms? or would it be best to go to her house (5 mins away) and stay there until morning as a babysitting arrangement and then return in the morning for a normal day?

Any advice? also what is a good rate for overnight care?

this would only be a one off,

ideas? advice? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I charge £4.50 an hour- give ofsted a call. But I think probably go to theirs.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

For ease and not having to move the child at night I think I would go to theirs. But sleeping on your lounge should be fine as long as it's safe

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go to parents house less disruptive and upsetting for child also there would be the possibility of dad being back when child wakes up, l have done this before.

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the replies. Just wanted to check that this would be ok. Think it would be easier to go to theirs and then can bring him home with me if dad doesn't come home in the morning and do a normal day childmind.

If she goes into labour when he's in my care during the day - then stay in the lounge overnight? Would I need to inform ofsted that this has happened or happening at the time?

It's the not knowing, so can't plan.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Iti s a requirement of the Eyfs to inform Ofsted if you change anything about your provision including if you want to offer overnight care.

Childcare.co.uk have made some info about overnight care - including ideas for writing your RA - freely available here - Finding the perfect overnight care childminder - Childcare.co.uk.

Hope it helps

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

the thing is are you going to charge or do it as a favour?? if its a favour, child doesnt have to be in own room as its totally different as no money is changing hands, if you are getting paid you would need to be registered, if you go to their house does it then cause problems with your own family arrangements?

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

wow, so much to consider.

thank you sarah for the link.

am going to write a full risk assessment and letter to the parent for permissions and information (again) o be fully up to date. am going to ask for a home visit, so I can risk assess their place and get to know the child bedtime routine.

im with Morton and Michel -it says im covered for babysitting, does this cover overnight?

will also ring ofsted tomorrow, to find out where I stand to offer emergency care.

I don't want to offer regular overnight care, its only because shes really stuck and they have been a good parent to have.

right off to write this risk assessment etc, lovely sunday afternoon.

thanks for all the help

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Iti s a requirement of the Eyfs to inform Ofsted if you change anything about your provision including if you want to offer overnight care.

Childcare.co.uk have made some info about overnight care - including ideas for writing your RA - freely available here - Finding the perfect overnight care childminder - Childcare.co.uk.

Hope it helps
    Wow - excellent Sarah.

Once again you're providing something for free that my development officer gets paid not to know.

You know you're an , don't you.

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Really helpful resource, thanks :-)

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks again. I rang Ofsted this morning, they said to refer to the eyfs. To risk assess and to deem if I can do it. And will add it to my records, that it's ok to do and to make sure I keep all info for my records.

So gave mum a full risk assessment to read and agree that all ok, asked her to sign for permissions on overnight care, if medication needed at night, and to confirm contact details are all correct, also to give routine for night time. Think this covers everything.

Do you think I have covered everything?