Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby being weaned at 5 months old?

I've been looking after a little baby girl for the last two months and in that time she hasn't grown much, but is strong, lively and happy. But she hardly drinks any milk. She didn't like breastfeeding (mum dried up in the end), she will only take 9oz of milk in 24 hours! and of course is not putting weight on.
    From mid June I will be looking after her for up to 8 hours a day and we really need to sort out her feeding. Mum is going to try and wean her early.
    Have any of you, either with your own children or mindees come across this type of problem before? A baby who hates milk?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have known babies of that age who don't like the teat in their mouth and have taken milk from a cup.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - I have had 2 minded babies that really really struggle to get any milk down them (bottle fed), not just me, mum too, but they seem to thrive and as soon as they were given solids which they much preferred even if it was high in milk - so I don't think it was the taste.
    my son would feed from me only but would not eat or drink anything else definitely not a bottle or dummy ever (and I tried) even my milk, he was always on or just below the lowest centile which worried the box tickers continually but he was always, bright, full of energy and happy and is now a strapping, strong albeit lean 15 year old.

I do think the rubber/cilicone teats have a lot to do with it and the sterilizing of them too, even without chemicals, makes them smell like old Tupperware, to me anyway. Try cups a china beaker works for me.

4. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine were weaned at 3 months and survived lol!! I can't see 5 months being a problem ... follow mum's lead and ask her to provide what lo will eat at home for a while until first tastes are well established.

I know a mum doing baby led weaning at 4 months and baby is having a ball!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ds was 10 weeks prem but we weaned him at 4 months old. It was with the full blessing of his hv and consultants. Kinda weird though as he was technically only 6 weeks old.

He thrived much more on solids than he ever had on formula.

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just going through this with Grandson. He is 6 months and after weeks of struggling to get milk into him he has taken to solids really well (daughter takes advice from book so no solids before 6 months). Peadiatrician said that so long as he was having yoghurt cheese etc his low milk in take was ok.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a little one at nursery who was 3 months old and came eating solids for every meal and eating things like jam sandwiches. I became his kw as I was the only one that didn't totally panic when he ate. It was easy as the lo just lead me but very slow going. He was a very overweight child don't think your little one would have that prob though.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Mine were weaned at 3 months and survived lol!! I can't see 5 months being a problem ... follow mum's lead and ask her to provide what lo will eat at home for a while until first tastes are well established.

Mine were also weaned at 3 months, they are in their 20's now and no problems. I also weaned my 11 year old around the same age too

10. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS was weaned at 13 weeks and fully weaned by 15 weeks! He is now 45weeks (10 months to normal people ) and will eat anything in sight! However, he will not drink anything other than water/juice (coloured water) except for a cows milk 10oz bottle first thing!

DS is a hungry baby and so I felt it was necessary to wean him early, one hv I spoke to was wonderful and gave me loads of really helpful advice (happy to help where I can) but I got slated by everyone else!

Regardless of what anyone says, I feel, mum knows best and if she wants to wean him I'd say go for it. My DS meets all developmental milestones and is 'advanced' in some. I began with Aptimil baby porridge for 4 months+ and gradually progressed to 4+ jars. I made lots of baby rice+ meals (baby rice + banana, baby rice + carrot, baby rice + minted peas), a few finger foods and then let him lead the way.

Oh an one teeny petit filou is the equivalent of 3.5oz of milk!

If I can help, just shout! x

12. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

All 4 of mine were weaned at 3 months and are healthy, happy grown ups.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my two were weaned early and are now 4 & 10. Dd at 15 weeks and ds at 13 weeks. Both disliked milk! Ds got to where he was only having about 8oz in 24hrs which must have had him starving! Day 1 I gave him some ready brek.... he loved it. By day 3 he was on 3 meals a day and I never looked back. I know 6 mths is the recommended age for starting but in 20 years of looking after babies I have found most to be ready earlier.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I do wonder when babies dont take to milk, are they intolerant or allergic , and instinctively know that . Has mum tried lacto-free milk, soy, goats milk ? Am not sure what age babies can have these but worth asking about

16. Likes Ripeberry liked this post