Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Hellooooo!
    Does anyone have any experience with King Charles dogs and childminding? So far I've found only good things online about KC'a and kids but I just wondered if there's anyone here who's had first hand experience with these dogs and children.

Thinking of getting a dog so general dog/childminding tips would be gratefully received!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Only dog hair issue due to long hairs. Personality fine but as any responsible dog owner will say it is down to how brought up. I have a boxer did kennel club classes, she is kept other side of stair gate and does not mix with children only other side of gate. Pet policy in place and signed pet handling permission form. You do need a very good vac I used to have a dyson animal they are very expensive I now have the cordless gtech air ram which is advertised on tv again very good with pet hair. I found having wood flooring and leather setee also helps reduce pet hair. Be prepared for an ofsted inspector who does not like animals I have had one in the past who put this statement into my report "pet hair on furniture and carpets poses a potential health risk for children" this was before I changed my suite and flooring. I argued that only of a child was asthmatic would there be an issue and in that instance parent would have picked a childminder who did not have a dog or had a poodle of labradoodle that is why there is such a thing called parental choice.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

3. Likes primula liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The childminder I sent my daughter to when I first moved here had 2 cavalier king Charles and they were lovely with the children. They did both get heart probs when they were old though.

As Tazmin says with all dogs it depends how they are brought up by their owners.

My CSSIW inspectors have been fine with pets. I had 4 cats and a dog until last year when my dog died and it has never been a problem. Risk assess state how you will keep children safe, never alone, pick up poos, worm, flea treat, vet checks. My insp in Jan asked if the parents know that I have 4 cats . Yes it is in my Statement of Purpose an they all meet them and know them by name!

I tell parents I have pets on initial contact. The dog put some parents off but was a plus for many others, I had parents scared of dogs send their children to me so that they would not be scared too.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both! Pet policy will be written tonight (it's almost written anyway) and all parents know about our probable purchase today. We're actually on our way back from Carmarthen now Tulip with him on my lap!
    Parents seem quite excited to meet him.
    My husband has named him Stormageddon - 'Dark Lord of All'.... Who fans may get the reference. Stormie for short... Thank goodness!

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Here he is! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Likes shortstuff, Shamai, primula, Bundle, Polly2 liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How cute

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my word...he is adorable

We have a cocker spaniel and golden retriever...have no problems with childminding, both as soft and fluff!!
    We have a stair gate on the kitchen so that the dogs can have some peace...and yes the vacuum gets a bashing daily lol

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HTSMumma View Post
    Here he is! :-)
    He is beautiful! We used to have a King Charles, same colour and he was lovely! Enjoy him xx

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice! He's so gorgeous! We're completely in love!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

What a cutie!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can depend on the dogs personality too. I ah tow springers. Both from the same litter both boys. One is a little sweetie pie, butter wouldn't melt won't leave your side type dog. The other one is a grumpy little wotsit wants to be left alone preferably to sun bathe or to chew anything his other hobby is creating a rockery in the kitchen with the stones from my garden.

I keep them out the way of minded children as I don't think it is worth the risk. Even my son is heavily supervised when with them (an adult standing next to him). I don't think they would ever go for anyone and they are fine around children I just don't like them mixing.

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had a dog for about 18 years and I have been childminding all the time! I love dogs and couldn't be without one! Always had work too! The puppy is so cute, everyone will love him!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He's so cute!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww, he is gorgeous
    Our little puppy is now eleven weeks old and the honeymoon period is definitely over lol, he is a bit of a terror. Doesn't help that my other dog doesn't really like him although she is very slowly coming round. He's lovely to snuggle up with though when he's tired. Good luck, it's hard work

Xxxx

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! We've put him to bed in the kitchen now and come up to bed. I feel so guilty, he's so tiny and helpless. I want to cwtch him in bed all night!!
    He has a teddy, a chew toy with some puppy treats in it and we've popped some food and water down for him as he hasn't eaten anything since we picked him up.
    He's got a very comfy bed with his very own blankie and my husband has even left radio 4 on quietly for him!

I hope he doesn't cry too much tonight. It'll break my heart!

18. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post