Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child wont go into the garden.....

Next door have workmen in digging the garden, not particularly loud, but you cam see them through the fence .
    Lo 23 months screams hysterically whenever i try to take him outside, you would think i was torturing him!

Thing is its a lovely afternoon & i have 4 other los 22 months to 6 years want to play out & I cant be in both places at once.

I'm currently stood by the back door so I can see the ones outside & he is stood in my kitchen whimpering

They are having an extension so work will be going in until July, i cant stay indoors til then!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd carry on doing what you're doing - standing at the door watching inside & out at the same time. With no pressure to go outside, lo might actually decide to go out anyway.

Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope so..... This is day 3 so far!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going out into the garden

Thats exactly what I would do- wait until the child is ready. Children are naturally curious and he will eventually go outside when he is ready. Be patience!!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe he thinks they're going to start drilling and is scared of the noise. Good luck! Think you've found best solution. You could also take his favourite toys out to try and persuade him to go out.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

can you cover the fence with something temporarily? even lining paper for the kids to paint might be enough so he can see them ass easily...

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Would he join in with a lets copy the workmen activity, have play tools out side pile of earth (if garden allows) to dig in and build houses with bricks on, painting the fence with decorators brushes and water. Get friendly with them and ask if they have a couple of hard hats you can borrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you pop round with kids so he can meet "bob the builder" may be meeting the builders may make noisy less scary. Good luck

x

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Where he can see them there is a top panel missing so couldn't really cover it

I've tried allsorts to get him out there, carrying him, sitting with him, toys..... He just screams blue murder & clings to me.

The workmen even drove the digger into my garden last week for the children to sit on & have a picture..... Lo screamed and wouldn't go near

His mum doesn't understand it as his dads a builder & drives a digger & hes seen him at work!

I guess ill just have to stand in the kitchen doorway fir the next 2 months!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If Ofsted came to inspect they'd want to see you interacting with the children in the garden though so while you are meeting one child's needs you are not meeting the needs of ht group...

is there a way of making the lo feel safe outside? Maybe in a cosy area like a tent with favourite teddy, toys, books etc... worth a try x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a little one who hated being out in the garden so I made sure my utility (where the back door to garden is) was safe, gave him some toys and positioned myself in the garden so I could see him and the children outside - he overcame his fears eventually. You have done everything you can to put this child's needs and fears first, but the other children need your attention too.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one who hates the noise of grass cutters, so when we are out and I hear the lawn mowers I cring

A few weeks ago we went to a lovely woods with a park and had a picnic. All was going well until a lumberjack cranked up hi chain saw and started cutting

I was this thread with interest as I completely understand!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Would popping him in the pram help? Use a windbreak or something to create a safe zone. Would he respond to music, maybe some earphones on to distract him from the noise of the builders?
    Go to the park instead?
    Musical instruments to bash to make his own noise?
    Good luck I don't envy you

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to do something similar and have one 3 year old in lounge with toys and other older children outside and I am by patio door so can interact with all. I have not choice here as 3 year old has a medical condition of which a side effect of medication is photo sensitive skin and cannot go outside in sunlight and I put awning out over patio so child can go near patio doors and windows. Fortunately child is a funded 3 year old child and comes 10-3 three days a week dusting term time and parent pays for 2 days in school holidays and leaves this summer it can be quite restrictive.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.