National insurance Q
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default National insurance Q

I I registered with HMRC in October when I started work, soon after I got a bill to pay around the amount of £17 for NI I payed it and haven't had another bill since. Is this the norm or should I be receiving one regularly?
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't received a bill at all and was wondering if I should or if I should have done/be doing something. I've been working since last Sept. Registered for NI when I started. Watching this post to see if I need to do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrudiR View Post
    I haven't received a bill at all and was wondering if I should or if I should have done/be doing something. I've been working since last Sept. Registered for NI when I started. Watching this post to see if I need to do anything.
    sounds like were in the same boat then. I'm thinking maybe we will get a bill when we do our tax return then, as they don't know how much to charge us as of yet. Just odd that I had to pay that little amount and then nothing x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I set up in sept too and since then have only had to pay one bill. I don't know how Childminding works but when I owned my last company (unrelated to CM) I had to pay class 4 national insurance with being self employed and it was a paid quarterly. Usually about 35.00. Could be similar situation here but I'm thinking about ringing HMRC and checking. I'll let you know if I do!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you set up a direct debit with NI?

My class 2's come out monthly by DD, and then class 4's are calculated when I do my tax return

I would give them a call

6. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered in September....and enquired about the fact I'd never paid anything at the beginning of the year as I'm preggers and want to claim maternity allowance later in the year! Basically the class 2 (if that's the basic one that you pay regardless of income -I get the 2 mixed up!) will automatically be paid 6 monthly unless you request otherwise and it's done in October and April. It's also paid 4 months in arrears. So I missed it as only registered in September. I filled in a form (printed it from online -will find out what it's called) to request that I pay it monthly by dd and set it off to hmrc. Only took a few weeks to get a letter back saying it was set up and earlier this month they took £45 odd to cover September to January and from now on it'll be about a tenner a month. I think you can get a small earnings exemption certificate so you don't have to pay anything although I don't know what the threshold is for that and I don't think you can claim things like mat allowance if you do that...but I could be wrong!

Simona Guest

Cms are self employed and should contribute to Class 2 NICs (self employed) towards state benefits such as state pension and other benefits

It is easy to set up a monthly Direct Debit or pay twice a year
    You can get a reduction if you are low earner but this will have implications on some benefits...you can also pay arrears

Your reference number for this will be your own National Insurance number and if you call the HMRC office you need to contact the 'Self Employment Services'

More information here

HM Revenue & Customs: National Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Really useful comments. I'll give them a ring and set up monthly dd x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Strangely enough I've just had a letter today with a bill for £75 due by the end of July.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will set up a monthly dd, nothing worse than a bill coming through the letterbox that you had forgotten about

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a bill through the door £70 to be paid end of July x

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Monthly DD is definitely the way to go! more bills