How long do your interviews last when you interview new parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long do your interviews last when you interview new parents?

Hi , I had a couple just come round to see me about care for there 2 year old they stayed less than 10 minutes! no time for me to ask any questions or get to know the family or child. Mum had attitude on phone last night so I was already bit put off ( she was telling me how to run my business) then today did not speak to me let husband do all the talking. Very rude and then they left before 10 mins up to take eldest swimming. So going with gut instinct and not working with them.

Going to text to say sorry unable to offer them care, would you leave it at that or say you do not feel we could work together?

Thanks for any help

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

I would wait until tomorrow and then just say very sorry I am no longer able to offer you the space.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had one set of parents who only stayed 15 mins ...
    They rang later and said they knew from the moment they first spoke to me and that meeting me confirmed it! It was for a schoolie and she stayed 4yrs and only left because I moved!
    But I had a good feeling about parents. If I don't have a good feeling from initial contact then I don't always offer a space after interview.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually parents stay 30 mins to an hour discussing this, that and the other, I find first time parents with new babies tend to need more support.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say someone else was also looking place and you are offering it to them as hours suit better
    Tess1981

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I had quick chat on phone earlier in the week, then parents came last night. Asked was I happy to take baby, asked about payments, food etc. Said they were so pleased i would take child as I had been recommended. Left about 15mins later, baby starts next week.

Other parents have asked lots of questions, looked at rooms child will use and stayed much longer.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The last parent I had visit was here for about 20 minutes. That's very quick for me - I've had parents here for 2 hours before, although an hour is about usual.

We'd already talked on the phone and I was recommended to her, so she'd already made up her mind to come to me. She was basically calling in to meet me, introduce herself & her child and to collect paperwork.

If it was a parent I hadn't really spoken to and didn't really gel with, I think I would be a bit wary if they didn't stay long.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Initial visit usually 45 mins to an hour, although 15 mins was my shortest.

I would turn them down if they come back to you, which they probably won't anyway

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely go with a gut instinct, I dont think you need to explain yourself, just say you cannot offer childcare x

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldnt even bother to contact them, if and when they contact you i would then say sorry the place has gone!

12. Likes AliceK, Koala, Mummits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hi thank you for getting back to me all very helpful iam going to leave it and see what happens , then if contact me say sorry place gone x

14. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My visits tend to last an hour or so. My most recent went over 2 hours. The shortest were 10 minutes and 30 minutes, both of which ended with me pretty much showing the mums the door. (Leave, take your dreadful spawn with you, and never darken my door again.......... or something like that. )

Whilst there are widely differing definitions and tolerances of what counts as "rude", I'd say go with your instinct/gut feeling. If you don't think you can work with them, then it's probably wise not to try.

Playing Devil's Advocate, it's just possible they were having a bad week and didn't come across as their usual selves, and crammed the visit in before swimming cos they wanted to "touch base" rather than have no contact at all. And sometimes there's a fine line between what seems to be "telling me how to run my business" and "being clear about needs/expectations". It's very much an individual thing, and only the individual CM knows what they can work with.

Above all, never think you have to justify a decision not to offer a place. You are not obligated to give reasons and it won't benefit the parent one way or the other whether they know or not. They're hardly going to thank you and turn over a new attitudinal leaf if you do come out and say, "in all honesty, I think you're a bossy, rude, off-putting parent and I wouldn't dream of working with you" now, are they? People who push for answers in this sort of situation are never satisfied or happy. They either take offence cos you don't give an answer, or they take offence cos they don't like the answer they got.