Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ratios

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ratios

Hi All,

Can anyone help with ratios.

I know the standard ratios of

a maximum of six children under the age of 8;
    of these six children, a maximum of three may be young children, (a child is defined as a "young child" up until 1st September following his/her 5th birthday).
    no more than one child may be under the age of 1.
    In all circumstances the maximum number of children under 8 being cared for must not exceed six.

How strict are these?

For example, If i was to have 4 young children for a period of just 2 hours for 2 days a week, would this be ok?

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you took on new business which took you to four children then no you can't do that.
    If an existing parent changed their hours or days with you which took you to four children then so long as you risk assess and inform other affected parents then that would be ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you took on new business which took you to four children then no you can't do that.
    If an existing parent changed their hours or days with you which took you to four children then so long as you risk assess and inform other affected parents then that would be ok
    thanks Rick

i have read

' if a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that they individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby.'

Does this mean I can take my 1 year old son out of the equation?

thanks

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay.butler View Post
    thanks Rick

i have read

' if a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that they individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby.'

Does this mean I can take my 1 year old son out of the equation?

thanks
    No. You are only allowed 1 under 12 months. The relaxation of the rules is if you already have a minded child under 12 months then have your own baby. You own child is always in your numbers even if at nursery, another childminders, with a family member etc.

You would also be allowed to increase your numbers to 4 if you take on a sibling (under 12 months) of a child who is already in your care.

5. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No. You are only allowed 1 under 12 months. The relaxation of the rules is if you already have a minded child under 12 months then have your own baby. You own child is always in your numbers even if at nursery, another childminders, with a family member etc.

You would also be allowed to increase your numbers to 4 if you take on a sibling (under 12 months) of a child who is already in your care.
    thanks rick, so other than the 2 examples you have given, I am not allowed to have more than 3 under 5's? even if only for a couple of hours?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay.butler View Post
    thanks rick, so other than the 2 examples you have given, I am not allowed to have more than 3 under 5's? even if only for a couple of hours?
    If it's new business then no you can't go over 3 children, even for 2 hours. Ofsted don't give out variations any more and they just refer you back to the EYFS.
    The usual reason to go over 3 for continuity of care is a parent changing days/hours.

These documents in free resources may help

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...%2009.2012.pdf

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...%2009.2012.pdf