Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre Registration - Setting up

Hi

I am still pre registration stage and looking for advicr or guidance with starting
    out, what do I need to have? where can I find policy procedure s contracts. Is there
    a specific learning plan I need to follow?
    I would really appreciate all advice to help get me going, I am a complee novice
    so even 'the basics' will be a great help!

Thanks in advance!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

You may find it useful to contact your local authority for information regarding the support they offer to you. Have you signed up for CYPOP5 yet?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    You may find it useful to contact your local authority for information regarding the support they offer to you. Have you signed up for CYPOP5 yet?
    I have spoken to them about a pre registration b r eifing but I just have to wait
    until one is scheduled! I also just wanted to ask actual registered childminders as
    you always get more details of expectations when people are already experienci ng it!

Yes I have registered for the course with PACEY xx

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    The CYPOP5 walks you through everything you need to set up, from writing your policies and procedures to risk assessments and setting activities/observing development. By the time you have completed the course you will have a sound knowledge of everything you need.
    If you have booked your CYPOP5, First Aid and applied for your DBS then youre already well on track
    I would start looking at your home, make a list of any changes you might need to make/safety equipment you might need in place. Think about the service you want to provide, find and speak to local childminders and really use this time to read the forums/websites and build your knowledge xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tracie,

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful!! Is it necessary to attend a pre registration briefing?
    I have applied for both courses and sent off DBS ID forms . I am still on maternity atm so dont think I can register with
    ofsted until that ends otherwise I'd be classed as working I assume!
    I have plug covers; first aid kits, fire blanket. Is there any other major safety supplies you know of?

Thank s again!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you sure your LA is ok with the Pacey course? I seem to remember that some LAs want you to do their own course, hence the pre-reg briefing to sign up for it.

Also suggest you browse this forum to get an idea of how things work and mistakes to avoid -loads of experienced CMs with helpful advice.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soper757 View Post
    Hi Tracie,

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful!! Is it necessary to attend a pre registration briefing?
    I have applied for both courses and sent off DBS ID forms . I am still on maternity atm so dont think I can register with
    ofsted until that ends otherwise I'd be classed as working I assume!
    I have plug covers; first aid kits, fire blanket. Is there any other major safety supplies you know of?

Thank s again!
    Double check that the First aid course and CYPOP5 course will be accepted by your Local Authority as well as Ofsted (give them both a call with the course details)... My LA didnt do a briefing session (Im in Essex) I just got an email with attachments to work through, cutbacks :/ If there is a pre-reg briefing available then I think it will prob be a requirement of your LA that you go on it - again give them a call and check.

Ofsted now say registration can take around 6mths... that includes the time it takes for all the checks to come back and your Ofsted visit to be done. You wont need to register as self employed until you have your first mindee so if you manage to get registered whilst still on maternity then Im thinking it wouldnt make any difference - but again double check.

Safety - Cupboard/drawer locks if/where necessary, same with gates (i have one for kitchen and one for stairs but only put them on dependent of child in my care at the time), fire guard - Ofsted told me as I dont use the fire I only need to use the guard for my convenience to stop children rearranging the decor coals dependent again on the child). I have a bolt up high on my front door, same on the back garden gate and I moved the bathroom lock up high out of reach on the door. Just walk your home and note the possible risks in each room, assess and remove risk where poss

xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Are you sure your LA is ok with the Pacey course? I seem to remember that some LAs want you to do their own course, hence the pre-reg briefing to sign up forcourse e suggest you browse this forum to get an idea of how things work and mistakes to avoid -loads of experienced CMs with helpful advice.
    I am currently in the army (on maternity) but don't plan on returning so I am going by what courses I'd need to do here.
    I have no idea where I will be heading after here it depends on my husbands posting. The main reason I am doing CYPOP 5 is becauae I believe the majority on authorities accept that course, il just have to update or do any other course required when and if we are posted elsewhere!

Thanks for your help!!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, I get it! I'm in similar position - we might be moving with dh's work. Any course you have to do will be very similar to CYPOP so you'll be ahead having done it.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie Morrison View Post
    Double check that the First aid course and CYPOP5 course will be accepted by your Local Authority as well as Ofsted (give them both a call with the course details)... My LA didnt do a briefing session (Im in Essex) I just got an email with attachments to work through, cutbacks :/ If there is a pre-reg briefing available then I think it will prob be a requirement of your LA that you go on it - again give them a call and check.

Ofsted now say registration can take around 6mths... that includes the time it takes for all the checks to come back and your Ofsted visit to be done. You wont need to register as self employed until you have your first mindee so if you manage to get registered whilst still on maternity then Im thinking it wouldnt make any difference - but again double check.

Safety - Cupboard/drawer locks if/where necessary, same with gates (i have one for kitchen and one for stairs but only put them on dependent of child in my care at the time), fire guard - Ofsted told me as I dont use the fire I only need to use the guard for my convenience to stop children rearranging the decor coals dependent again on the child). I have a bolt up high on my front door, same on the back garden gate and I moved the bathroom lock up high out of reach on the door. Just walk your home and note the possible risks in each room, assess and remove risk where poss

xx
    Thanks for the advice on the safety! I was under the impress that registering with ofsted also registered me as swlf employed but I am obviously far wrong, lots of learning for me especially with regards to taxes and ni. it all seems sooooo mind blowing! !

11. Likes Tracie Morrison liked this post