Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Environmental Health

I have a visit from them on Wednesday- should I be worried???

What do they check? Do they check any paperwork.

Never had one before so not sure what to expect.

Many thanks

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had mine he wanted to see my food hygiene certificate, looked at the cleanliness of my kitchen, Checked that I had recorded fridge temps and wanted to see my food probe.

A cm friend had hers a few weeks later and all he did was ask a few questions but didn't want to see anything else (same la). I think, like with ofsted, it all depends on the inspector.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was fine, even though I get very nervous about any kind of test/inspection/examinations.

Just curious. How come you've never had a visit before? Is it for a specific reason or response to a complaint? Are you registered as a food business?

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Mine was fine, even though I get very nervous about any kind of test/inspection/examinations.

Just curious. How come you've never had a visit before? Is it for a specific reason or response to a complaint? Are you registered as a food business?
    No, no complaints. I change counties. I had a break from childminding between 2012 and re starting last month. I did not need one in my last county. Different counties want different things I guess. I have registered with local authrity and this is their first visit after registering. So although I have childminder for 7 years, I have never had an Inspection.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    No, no complaints. I change counties. I had a break from childminding between 2012 and re starting last month. I did not need one in my last county. Different counties want different things I guess. I have registered with local authrity and this is their first visit after registering. So although I have childminder for 7 years, I have never had an Inspection.
    All clear now.

You're certainly correct that different counties have different expectations.

Good luck, though I'm sure you don't need it.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

to reassure you the role of the EHO is to advise and support. If there was something they were concerned about it would be a matter of letting you know and asking you to remedy it -we had one at a pre-school recently and they picked up on a couple of things - like suggested staff use aprons when preparing food and hot water should not be paid for through a meter.

I had my home one a couple of years ago and was able to ask questions and they were really helpful.

Is all very basic and common sense - hand-washing, clean surfaces, although as a homeowner I had never checked the temperature of my fridge before I was a childminder!

They might even be able to give you a copy of the guidelines which is something like safer food, better business. They sent mine to me before my inspection so I could read up!

7. Likes MAWI liked this post