Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skin condition been there over a week

Hi guys

Quick question as not had this situation before and if we're my own child would have been to doctor by now.
    2 yo I have had a 'spot' type mark on his chin for well over a week. It's getting bigger each time I see him, it's now pitted.
    I asked if been to doc. Mum says its just a spot and its fine. Would you press the matter? But worried its been there that long. might be contagious.
    Nxt time I have him is Tuesday.
    Advice?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's not oozing. I can't see what can be done if the parents don't want to go to the doctors
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it going yellowish and crusty? If so it could be impetigo. Look all over and if it is getting bigger I would ask to see a doctor.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes to both crusty and bit yellow.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like impetigo, it won't go away if it is without medical treatment and it will grow and spread.

I exclude for impetigo because it is so infectious. If lo turns up on Tuesday without having treatment you will be able to see how it has developed and I would urge you to research impetigo - (there are some lovely pictures on the web )and incorporate it in your sickness policy. It is simply and easily treatable - so maybe if the parents get to the doctors today they will be in a better position to attend next week, if they refuse I'm afraid I would refuse care.

Post Thanks / Like

I exclude for impetigo too! Parent brought LO to me without telling me LO had it until the end of the day, LO's brother caught it and so did I... I got it really bad and now have scars

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oops posted twice!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would say to mum at pick up that you are concerned for LO that the spot has developed into impetigo and that it is highly infectious. In fact I would probably give mum a call now and talk to her. Not asking her to collect early or anything but suggesting she might be able to make Dr appt for the way home! Suggest they visit Dr so that LO has started treatment and should be able to attend next week.
    Good luck x

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter gets this every year and it needs antibiotics sometimes but ALWAYS needs an antibiotic cream. I was sat to mum unless a doctor says it not this I will have to exclude as it spreads. Once the child has the cream they are fine to come
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Or take child to a chemist they should be able to say
    Tess1981

Simona Guest

I am sure many cms have come across impetigo in their life
    I have seen many forms with spots all over the body of all sizes and shapes or just the odd one on the face

It is best to say to the parents that we need to protect others ...and ourselves...if the parent refuses to take child to the GP a chemist can offer good advice
    We cannot diagnose impetigo...although we could make an 'educated' guess but can be reassured we are doing the right thing by protecting all around by receiving professional advice

I have no idea why parents would be reluctant to get something like that seen to? these days the nurse in a surgery can be approached very quickly for an appointment if GPs take longer to see a child

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I am sure many cms have come across impetigo in their life
    I have seen many forms with spots all over the body of all sizes and shapes or just the odd one on the face

It is best to say to the parents that we need to protect others ...and ourselves...if the parent refuses to take child to the GP a chemist can offer good advice
    We cannot diagnose impetigo...although we could make an 'educated' guess but can be reassured we are doing the right thing by protecting all around by receiving professional advice

I have no idea why parents would be reluctant to get something like that seen to? these days the nurse in a surgery can be approached very quickly for an appointment if GPs take longer to see a child
    I agree
    If it is impetigo it will need treating ....I would give parent some friendly advice ......

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a parent once who didn't take child to GP with impetigo or something far worse (I know we shouldn't diagnose Simona but i'd seen it lots of times and knew at the very least this is what it was).

child ended up going from a small coin sized patch on the cut on his tummy to a wound that went right across his stomach almost from one side of his body to the other and at least a few inches from top to bottom. I then insisted she collect and take him to GP. She took him to A&E in the end. Mum was then upset with me when I wouldnt have it back until it was healed.

In the end I had him back with a dressing on after it had shrunk considerably but was really not happy taking dressing off and applying the cream as my own son had eczema. If I had to do it again, I'd refuse but it was complicated at the time because we were in a notice period and she thought I was just making excuses not to have him back.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

14. Likes angeldelight liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i had a parent once who didn't take child to GP with impetigo or something far worse (I know we shouldn't diagnose Simona but i'd seen it lots of times and knew at the very least this is what it was).

child ended up going from a small coin sized patch on the cut on his tummy to a wound that went right across his stomach almost from one side of his body to the other and at least a few inches from top to bottom. I then insisted she collect and take him to GP. She took him to A&E in the end. Mum was then upset with me when I wouldnt have it back until it was healed.

In the end I had him back with a dressing on after it had shrunk considerably but was really not happy taking dressing off and applying the cream as my own son had eczema. If I had to do it again, I'd refuse but it was complicated at the time because we were in a notice period and she thought I was just making excuses not to have him back.
    I am sure we all have a stack of records archived where often, having raised a worry about something with a parent we get that great answer: you were right ...that is exactly what it was as the GP confirmed!!

Very often I worry parents are scared their children have something that needs exclusion and that is why the reluctance to take to GP...it all adds to their stress of taking time off work, employers not happy and all round stress being caused....I see their point but they have to see ours too ...me thinks

16. Likes The Juggler, primula liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all comments. Just the fact it had been there that long and getting worse would have spurred me to get it checked out. Obv I would not diagnose, but did alert her that there are similar skin conditions that need anti biotic cream, or may be contagious - so suggest he sees gp.

She said she went to walk in sat am and they advised gp Monday. I'm not due to have him till nxt Tuesday (last minute holiday yesterday) so will ask for update.

I used to feel but awkward suggesting child sees gp but think it is part of safeguarding within our roles, and protecting our own families and other children.

18. Likes Koala liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KatieFS View Post
    Agree with all comments. Just the fact it had been there that long and getting worse would have spurred me to get it checked out. Obv I would not diagnose, but did alert her that there are similar skin conditions that need anti biotic cream, or may be contagious - so suggest he sees gp.

She said she went to walk in sat am and they advised gp Monday. I'm not due to have him till nxt Tuesday (last minute holiday yesterday) so will ask for update.

I used to feel but awkward suggesting child sees gp but think it is part of safeguarding within our roles, and protecting our own families and other children.
    I am sure many will agree with you that it is part of the Welfare Requirements and...specifically...Health, where we have a duty to protect other children and ourselves from the spread of anything infectious...if that is what turns out to be

Lets hope the parent understands this and co-operates with you in the true spirit of 'working in partnership'?