Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else have 2 jobs

Hi all

I have an interview for a 2nd job on Saturday, anyone else childmind and have another job, the reason I applied was because I have been quiet since Christmas with only two under 3's on a Monday and tues-fri before and after school only, so I thought I could work school hours tues-fri in 2nd job. Im not sure if im doing the right thing and if its worth it financially with regards to tax, any advice would be appreciated.

Registered Childminder since
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I do.
    I spend Sundays teaching Archery to children and adults.
    Started it during a quiet childminding period to help with the bills, and still doing it even though I'm really busy now!

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a 2nd job until October - I have also previously worked in a pub in the evenings. I paid tax and NI on the paid work as normal and when I did my self assessment I filled in the self employed and employed sections. If I had not earned enough to pay tax on both jobs, I was re-imbursed what I had paid through PAYE by HMRC. If I had earned enough to pay tax it took into account what I had already paid through PAYE IYSWIM

toddlers896 Guest

I am thinking of getting a second job and then when it's time for me to finally give up childminding it will be easier

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I started another job 3rd of March so I work 3 days childminding and 2 days as a childcare business support worker I love it. However due to my new employers not sending off my form to Inland revenue in time I did pay 20% tax on my first months pay which I did ring about and was told like tulip said I would either get it taken off my childminding tax bill or as a rebait it due time. I lost my full time child in oct and this just gives me a little bit more stability. My own ds will start school full time in sept so I'm a little unsure whether I will still wanna keep childminding then or maybe increase my hours in my new job. My new job is very flexible I can work when ever I want within reason as long as I get my 16 hours done and even work from home if ds was ever ill or stuck for childcare. So far it's been a great move.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a school improvement consultant on one day a week, freelance, so My friend, an accountant is helping me sort out 3 incomes, pension, childminding and consultancy, I haven't been doing it long enough yet to see tax impact but my accountant friend is working out how many consultancy days I can do before it isn't worth it because of tax and pension issues as I have had numerous requests to support schools in adjusting to 2 year olds in schools and using the new Reception baseline to show school improvement. I'm hoping to fill up my spare days in the summer term as everyone wants to be up and running by Sept and then go back to nice days of childminding, occasional consultant work, and lovely retirement days.
    It's going to be hectic but it should just be for this one term and the extra cash will go in my 'visit son in South America fund' next year. Or put aside for the inevitable 'help son when he returns from his travels and can't get a job' fund!

8. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a florist- mainly weekends! But it's a nice change x

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to teach piano but once the childminding took off I gave up

Aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleased I read this...currently working and doing cypop course ...I want to drop my hours and work 2 days and the. When registered do 3 days childminding...had wondered how it worked! Looking forward to seeing any more replies!