so what ARE we doing to get our mindees school ready and how are we doing it?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default so what ARE we doing to get our mindees school ready and how are we doing it?

I am building up my mindees self esteem, confidence and helping them understand how to mix in society. They need to know how to make friends.
    I take them to playgroups/library sessions to get them used to sitting in a group activity.
    I read and read and read with them.
    I play games where we count (snakes and ladders type games)
    We count forwards and backwards on the stairs
    Colouring
    I am sure there is a million and one other things too - help me out

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Being able to put on coat and shoes
    Having a voice - being able to express themselves
    Eager to learn
    Take themselves to toilet
    Understand and accept boundaries
    Turn taking/sharing

BEING HAPPY after spending their pre school years having fun

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All of my mindees who are leaving here at the end of the school year are school ready. I thought it's what we had to do anyway and thought that's what DM/EYO was for?!?! As they work towards their goal of 40-60m+ so I don't really understand where they are getting their figures from.

We just seem to be bundled into a big mixed bag which I hate. A child who can't do things for themselves by school age has obviously been missed by whatever setting they are in which is poor. They may not even go to a childcare setting and then its up to the parents to get help if they are struggling, which isn't easy as some don't want to and others could feel isolated.
    The thousands of children who go into care every year are obviously going to be the ones who are really affected but how can that be the childcare settings fault?
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    All of my mindees who are leaving here at the end of the school year are school ready. I thought it's what we had to do anyway and thought that's what DM/EYO was for?!?! As they work towards their goal of 40-60m+ so I don't really understand where they are getting their figures from.

We just seem to be bundled into a big mixed bag which I hate. A child who can't do things for themselves by school age has obviously been missed by whatever setting they are in which is poor. They may not even go to a childcare setting and then its up to the parents to get help if they are struggling, which isn't easy as some don't want to and others could feel isolated.
    The thousands of children who go into care every year are obviously going to be the ones who are really affected but how can that be the childcare settings fault?
    I absolutely agree. All EY's children who have moved up to school from me are able to do basic things like put on and do up their coat, put their shoes on, take themselves to the toilet, be able to sit down and listen for short periods, be able to follow instruction, know that there are rules and boundaries, able to count and recognise numbers and they have all been able to at least write their name and start to make up some cvc words. (their choice to want to learn this) They have all hit their ELG's by the time they move up.
    I find it hard to believe that any child who has attended a childcare setting can not do these things!!!
    xxx

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Children from good settings will be able to do those things and much more because we will have taken the time and approach required to get them to achieve the skills

Once in a Reception class many children do cope very well...others don't because the school routine is rigid and children are not unique anymore...there are plenty of other factors with 'emotional intelligence' being very important...I know many sneer at that
    No one trains us for that and no one can push it on children

After all the talk ...children here go to school far too early...first 4...then 3...now 2...and not because it is beneficial as there is no research that confirms that....but because in the end it will save on the cost of childcare

8. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Simona Guest

I should have also added that it would save Ofsted a huge amount of money in inspections!