Bank holidays
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bank holidays

Registered Childminder since
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently i charge half fee for my time off work and half fee for all Bank holidays,even if one falls whilst i'm not on annual leave.I don't work a BH and have never been asked to in 6.5 years, but i always tell a parent that its double fee if i am needed (unavailable if its whilst i am off work but still half fee)

I used to charge full fee for my time off plus BH's. I am now thinking of going back to full fee for a Bank holiday if it falls on a contracted day and regardless of if i am off work or not. (still keep my leave to half pay,which is approx 4 to 5 wks in school hols) Would only charge full for any new parents.

Do you think this is ok? What do you all do? Lots of parents get full pay for a Bank hol and have that day off work,but i guess theres the small few that don't get payed or fullpay.

Its quite hard to save for a holiday when just receiving half pay when food etc has shot up in price,but i also don't want parents to end up looking elsewhere! Can't put my daily or hourly fee up anymore.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Snowwhite; 03-04-2014 at 04:03 PM.

04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I am in process to change my T&C and I will charge more for BH but not double.
    I am tempted to charge half fees for my own holidays but I am worried if I will be pushing the boat as I have been incredibly stupid flexible for a set of parents who now decided to take the **** on me.

Simona Guest

This is a topic that comes up frequently...as Cms are different each will decide on how they want to charge ...not charge at all or get 1/2 pay for Bank Holidays

Maybe one way to resolve this is to make BH part of the CM's annual leave?
    We can then either charge in full, get half pay or not charge at all according to our Terms and Conditions?

If a CM is willing to work on BH then it would be totally up to him/her to set fees for those days...yes some may want to charge double...but it has to be very clear in the contract that the setting is open for all parents to use on BH

Just a thought...

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for all BH if they fall on a Contracted day because I am prepared to work them. If I am asked to work it is double fee and triple fee for Christmas Day, Boxing Day or new Years day.

In 20 years of minding I have only worked one Boxing Day. It was great fun we had looked after the child for a good while and they were like part of our extended family. The child joined in our Boxing Day so it didn't feel like I was working at all.

If I wasn't prepared to work on the BH then I would feel I could charge for them to be honest. I ask for four weeks written notice if I am needed and reserve the right to say no and if I do say no I don't charge. That has never happened in 20 years.

04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

So just to clarify please.

My client is going on holidays and is back on the 6th of May Tuesday.
    But I am giving the notice of change for my T&C tomorrow 7th April so 4 weeks notice fall on the 5th may Bank Holiday
    So if they require me to work I charge an extra £XXX for that but if they don't require me to work, they still have to pay the normal daily fee to keep their child place in my setting even though the school is closed.
    Is that right? Because this is what I am thinking abut to do.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cpgp View Post
    So just to clarify please.

My client is going on holidays and is back on the 6th of May Tuesday.
    But I am giving the notice of change for my T&C tomorrow 7th April so 4 weeks notice fall on the 5th may Bank Holiday
    So if they require me to work I charge an extra £XXX for that but if they don't require me to work, they still have to pay the normal daily fee to keep their child place in my setting even though the school is closed.
    Is that right? Because this is what I am thinking abut to do.
    You are perfectly entitled to change your T&C and giving notice you want to do so...which you intend to do
    I am not sure how other CMs do it but should that not entail a contract review so the parents are clear and sign in agreement...after that all should be clear...by just giving notice you may not get the parents to agree...you need their signature

If you are prepared to work BH state that clearly but add that you would charge extra £££ and how much notice you would like ...if they do not require you then also state you expect normal fees paid

That is how I would do it ...others may give more advice.

04/4/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You are perfectly entitled to change your T&C and giving notice you want to do so...which you intend to do
    I am not sure how other CMs do it but should that not entail a contract review so the parents are clear and sign in agreement...after that all should be clear...by just giving notice you may not get the parents to agree...you need their signature

If you are prepared to work BH state that clearly but add that you would charge extra £££ and how much notice you would like ...if they do not require you then also state you expect normal fees paid

That is how I would do it ...others may give more advice.
    It is a contract review with changes in the T&C and fees. I should have done it ages ago and I am giving them 4 weeks notice. I don't care if they decided to terminate it tbh.
    I just don't want to be unfair with regarding BH.

So is it ok to charge the normal rate fee as a contract day and assume they will not need me as they never did BUT if they DO it is £xx on the top of the fee. It is clearly stated on the new T&C by the way.
    If they agree to the new T&C, we will sign a new contract.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cpgp View Post
    It is a contract review with changes in the T&C and fees. I should have done it ages ago and I am giving them 4 weeks notice. I don't care if they decided to terminate it tbh.
    I just don't want to be unfair with regarding BH.

So is it ok to charge the normal rate fee as a contract day and assume they will not need me as they never did BUT if they DO it is £xx on the top of the fee. It is clearly stated on the new T&C by the way.
    If they agree to the new T&C, we will sign a new contract.
    If I were a parent signing your contract I would be very clear about your Terms and Conditions: full fee for BH if not required and extra if care needed...Is that right?
    good luck !
    Let us know

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i chare full fees for bank holidays but dont work them and half fees for four weeks holiday per year, if however a bank holiday falls during my holidays for which i have charged half fees i charge half for the bank holiday as well, but for instance if the bank holiday is a monday and i am working on the tuesday then i charge full fees

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou.That has helped me.