Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guinea pig babies!

My family rehomed 2 'male' guinea pigs (from a rescue) nearly 3 weeks ago and yesterday when handling 'Marley' we noticed how fat

he was and I thought 'he' looked pregnant-anyway woke up today with 2 babies!!

I have separated them from Bob who is dad. Bob is outside on his hutch on his own and I have put mum and babies in a temporary cage indoors!

What next??!!

Help!!

image-741404271.jpg

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just keep them separated and I would take your baby guinea pigs to a pet shop to ask if they can tell you whether they are male or female - but probably can't tell for a few weeks yet - when we used to breed them we would then sell the babies putting up adverts in local shops etc as the pet shop would only take the females. They are very easy to look after as the babies are born with eyes open and fur - just look after the mother and make sure she has clean water, normal food and lots of fresh fruit & veg.

I did once sell 2 females to a friend but on the day they were supposed to go I got flustered when the phone was ringing inside so managed to put the 2 females in with the dad! My friend said that was fine she would take the chance that they may be pregnant - and yes several months later, one did have babies - she sold or gave away the babies and then found that several months later the same guinea pig was pregnant again - think the pet shop told us wrong and one was actually a male!

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thankyou!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dolly1985 View Post
    My family rehomed 2 'male' guinea pigs (from a rescue) nearly 3 weeks ago and yesterday when handling 'Marley' we noticed how fat

he was and I thought 'he' looked pregnant-anyway woke up today with 2 babies!!

I have separated them from Bob who is dad. Bob is outside on his hutch on his own and I have put mum and babies in a temporary cage indoors!

What next??!!

Help!!

image-741404271.jpg
    if guinea pigs are anything like rabbits then you may be having more in a few weeks
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Guinea pigs are sociable so l would be looking at giving up the adult male or female and keeping at least 1 of the babies so you have at least 2 same sex as you originally wanted. May be the rescue would take one original and a baby back. Ours would have free run of the back garden every day would love to keep them again but the dog we have now wouldn't get on with them our original dog was great with them.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar happened to me - the resuce pig had been done - obviously not! I rang my vet when I found 3 babies.They said take the dad out straight away. Don't handle the babies if you can resist, keep an eye to make sure they are feeding from mum- felt a real privilege to watch them. Not sure old they said to take them in the be sexed, best to ring. Then we were able to put the boys with the dad, and the girl stayed with mum.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

See i thought i could put girls with mum and boys with dad but the veterinary receptionist reckons boys couldn't go with dad as they would fight?!

Think in a week or so I'll go and spk to a vet!

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Females can live together, females can live with a neutered male (females aren't usually neutered as its a complicated op) or two neutered male brothers as long as they have been reared together can live together a dad and son neutered or not will not get on.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found the 'rules' don't always work. In our case father and son were perfect together. When we had brothers that had always been together they used to fight lots and were a nightmare together. I think like all animals they all have their own temperament and you sometimes have to play it by ear.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you all for your advice!

I am going to play this one by ear!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

congratulations! I love piggy babies.

this is a very helpful and friendly guineapig forum! Guinea Pig Forum | Guinea pig care information in Essex | Care Resource & Guinea Pig Forum | Rodents With Attitude ( I know it says Essex in title, but there are members from all over the world! )

have fun!

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh how cute!!