Competetive child - suggestions pls!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Competetive child - suggestions pls!!

Hi all

I am planning a small after school party as a farewell to a child- age 2.5. Theme pirate and princess!

But 1 of the older children I have who is nearly 7 is very competitive. She is very smart, you would think she is 8 or 9 and often in games she wins and sometimes engineers the game so she wins. Havent spotted it yet, but i think sometimes she cheats.
    She takes the games very seriously and the rules- which makes for a difficult and not fun game for a 2.5 year old and the other children ill have there- they are 6, 9 and 2x 10 yr olds, Ill also have set if year old twins so won't be able to be full time referee to manage her during games. The room will be busy, 8 bodies possible so can't do anything too physical

Usually ends up the other 6 yr old getting upset as she is pushed out by competitive child, the older children end up losing interest as no one else feels involved as she generally takes over the game.
    It's a shame as dies spoil things for others, for example the other day playing a game she won, other children wanted to carry on the game to finish but she got annoyed as its 'game over not in the rules' and threw the cards over the table. Yes we had words but it has spoilt it for the other child.

Any suggestions on

1/ the party - games? Dare I say non competitive games. I don't agree with them really but I feel sense of dread. If I didn't have the babies there I could manage her during games but I know I'll have limited time. Games where all the children have fun but there isn't always one winner. I usually do colouring as children like that and treasure hunt. Works well as older children usually finish first, everyone who completes gets a prize!

2/ strategies on how to deal with her and other children. Does anyone have this as a 'golden rule' in there house, was thinking if adding it to mine.??

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

how about pass the parcel, with a little prize in every unwrapping. Musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can you put her in charge of organising the games - with your input - so she doesn't need to win??

I hope it goes well x

4. Likes blue bear, Polly2 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Treasure hunt,each chi,d has a colour sticker on their treasure to find, if a child finds and tells where someone else's treasure is then one of their treasures will be taken away (the last bit doesn't apply to those not at school as too little)

Musical bumps holding hands,so each older one holds the hands of a little one and they both have to sitting on the floor to win.

Put her in charge of the music for musical statues.

Do some circle singing (signing songs in a circle nice and easy non confrontational)

Colouring competition

Pass the parcel

Three legged race/dancing (big one and little one)

Give her jobs to do, pouring juice, clearing the table, collecting rubbish etc when you have to do something where you can't keep a direct eye on her.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Can you put her in charge of organising the games - with your input - so she doesn't need to win??

I hope it goes well x
    Good plan!

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

Blue bear can you explain the treasure hunt colour sticker thing?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How about working in pairs - an older child with a younger child and you will give points/stickers where you see good teamwork.

When my youngest daughter was at Nursery, my eldest daughter was a very good cross country runner and was County and schools champion for many years, the youngest daughter used to see her sister getting a medal, cup or trophy nearly every week - when youngest daughter won the egg and spoon race at sports day she throw an almighty tantrum when instead of giving her the BIG cup she had seen, they gave her a sticker as it was a team event and the team with the most stickers got the cup!