What info do you share with other settings?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What info do you share with other settings?

I now have 2 mindees also at preschool and one who is also with another childminder.

I'm about to contact them and ask to share info, but what info would I be looking at sharing? And who would do the 2 year progress check, the one that has them most hours or do we all do one separately?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The provider that has the child the most hours should be doing the 2 yr old check, however, I would do a summary for my own records (child's file) and pass that on to both the other providers so at least I can show I'm sharing information (it also means they can claim to be sharing information because they have received something from another provider but hey ho)
    I'd also ask them for something similar in return but you may or may not get it.

When I take on a new child with another provider I make a point of introducing myself to them, giving them a business card with my details on, and asking them how they would like to share development information in line with the EYFS. From my perspective, depending on how long they've had the child before me, I also ask if they could do a starting points for me, similar to the parents one, so I have something to work from.
    Information I share, and get shared with me, is normally verbal with the preschool at handover time, newsletters, what their current theme is, how I've continued that with me, WOW moments, etc

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing, but so far, all seems to be knitting together nicely for me.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of who has the child the most. We HAVE to do a 2 year progress check, even if we only have them for a couple of hours a day.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 children where I don't pick up or drop off that are at pre-school. I write a letter of introduction with my details on it and get parents to sign as well. Then every quarter I do a summary of what the child likes doing/ playing with in my setting, anything they are not keen on and their next steps. I think it is statutory that we do a 2 year check if you look after the child at any time between ages 2 and 3. Also I have recently come across and safeguarding issue and I was not sure if I could phone the pre-school and ask them if they have any issues, I feel it is a grey area between confidentiality and sharing info.....would be interested to know what @Sarah707 thought about that?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Regardless of who has the child the most. We HAVE to do a 2 year progress check, even if we only have them for a couple of hours a day.
    I don't think that is required or at least the advice varies from LA to LA ....MOST LAs suggest the provider who has the child the longest does the report unless...something has changed in the EYFS and Ofsted like to see 2 reports from 2 providers?...can we check on this or some cms may panick if they thought they needed to do the check

Also I think it is who does the MOST funded hours not hours of care...please check on this too

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify because I've received some confused messages...

The Eyfs says in requirement 2.3 -

'When a child is aged between two and three, practitioners must review their progress, and provide parents and/or carers with a short written summary of their child’s development in the prime areas.'

So, regardless of how often / how long children come to you, your inspector will be looking for a 2 year progress check for every 2 year old.

Yes, I know that the 'know how guide' clarifies some points - but it is guidance - the wording of the Eyfs takes precedence at all times as that is statutory

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eck-at-age-two

Simona Guest

I also think it is clear in EYFS 2.4 that the progress check is undertaken by the setting the child spends most time at...so better check with any other provider caring for the child....they may do the check if the child is there the longest but we can still input our assessment

This is what the EYFS says page 10

2.4 Beyond the prime areas, it is for practitioners to decide what the written summary should include, reflecting the development level and needs of the individual child. The summary must highlight: areas in which a child is progressing well; areas in which some additional support might be needed; and focus particularly on any areas where there is a concern that a child may have a developmental delay (which may indicate a special educational need or disability). It must describe the activities and strategies the provider intends to adopt to address any issues or concerns.
    If a child moves settings between the ages of two and three it is expected that the progress check would usually be undertaken by the setting where the child has spent most time.