Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blocked tear duct

I have a lo nearly 2 who had a blocked tear duct she had had an op which didn't do much. Mum said today could I empty the tear duct by pushing gently and emptying duct so it doesn't get sticky. Lo is used to it but I am concerned that I am performing a medical intervention. What should I do?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do something I wasn't shown to do by the parent or medical professional

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I wouldn't do anything I hadn't been shown to do by medical professional and had signed permission.

And with it being eyes I would be even more cautious of using any medical intervention x

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry iPhone changes everything. M showed me how to do it. Should I fill out a form and get her to sign. Then write every time I empty it?

Post Thanks / Like

Well u need a consent to say she permits u but I question if anything was to go wrong u wouldn't be covered or protected...

Whatever u choose to do u need to be careful and protect urself

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask mum to show me again or talk me through it while I watched to make sure I was doing it correctly and then just record every time I had to do it - not really any different from having a child with an inhaler.

I had a child with this and people were always coming up to me at toddlers and accusing me of bring child with eye infection, it used to run all the time, get yellow goo coming out of it and really make his face sore under his eye where it was wet all the time - they said it should clear up by the time he was 18 months and luckily it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    Sorry iPhone changes everything. M showed me how to do it. Should I fill out a form and get her to sign. Then write every time I empty it?
    If you've been shown and feel comfortable doing it then yes definitely get signed permission of mum and record how often you empty it with time etc. Then when mum collects ask her to sign permission slip as well as you daily recording sheet of emptying the tear duct x