How to help achild with a phobia of knives.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Glitter Guest

Default How to help achild with a phobia of knives.

A three year old I look after on an ad-hoc basis has developed a phobia of knives.

She is fine with the normal knives we eat with, but when I use a sharp knife in the kitchen she stands in the corner and cries, and when I put the knife down she picks up a tea towel and covers it up. Her Mum said it is becoming a real problem at home and has asked for advice about how to help her daughter overcome this. The child has not had a bad experience with a knife that the Mum knows about.

I am not sure how to help, but I told Mum I knew a wonderful forum with lots of people who might have more advice.

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Kids can become scared of things. It's good to be a bit wary, but your child is a bit extreme!

I worked in retail for many years. I knew two people who had nasty knife accidents. (In a total of 20 years). One used the wrong sized/shaped knife for a job and cut herself, the second lay the knife down on the surface with the knife edge pointing upwards, she then leaned over and leant on it!
    I teach my kids to use the correct knife for the job, and also to also only have one knife out at a time.

For your cooking, I find I do a lot of cutting using sharp scissors. This might help you cook without freaking her out.

Good luck

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wonder if she saw something on TV where someone cut themselves with a knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
    A three year old I look after on an ad-hoc basis has developed a phobia of knives. She is fine with the normal knives we eat with, but when I use a sharp knife in the kitchen she stands in the corner and cries, and when I put the knife down she picks up a tea towel and covers it up. Her Mum said it is becoming a real problem at home and has asked for advice about how to help her daughter overcome this. The child has not had a bad experience with a knife that the Mum knows about. I am not sure how to help, but I told Mum I knew a wonderful forum with lots of people who might have more advice.
    Seems very odd that she would develop such a strong reaction to knives at this age just out of nowhere without an experience??

Have you during some quiet time with LO asked her why she finds knives so scary?

Maybe you could do some circle time with all the children.
    Use a teddy to pass round and who ever has the teddy is the one that speaks, allow time after the child's spoke for questions from the other children.

You could begin with some different topics
    *What did you do at the weekend?
    *What do you enjoying doing the most?
    *Talk about people we love.
    *People who help us
    *Things that make feel us happy
    *Things that make feel us sad
    *Things that make feel us frightened

See if she opens up?

It could be that she has seen a bad image of violence on a film/program on the tele where a knife has been used.

I know sometimes how I feel after seeing violence Plays on my mind terribly!!

With her getting so stressed it's probably best to let her know when you need to use one rather than just whipping one out too.

Talk to her about why you need to use it and then as soon as you've finished chopping/cutting you will 'put the knife in the dishwasher so it can be washed' (or whatever you do).

Take away that anxiousness and the stress so she knows exactly what is going to happen and that she will be safe and so will you.

As for mom - I would offer her the same advise.
    Is she in nursery? How about talking to the teacher?

It could be there is a child at nursery seeing these films etc and is sharing them with her and it's making her frightened.

It could be that a child at nursery is experiencing things at their home and sharing with her - we just don't know.

Something must have triggered it though. It's just trying to find out what.

Look how graphic the news can be these days too - could be she's seen something on there?

If mom speaks to the teachers it will make them aware too, they may have the facilities at school to have a trained mentor talk to her about it. They will keep an eye out no doubt then too incase it is another child saying things?!

Hope that helps? xxxx

Post Thanks / Like

It may just be a case of a family member or friend perhaps going a little over the top when talking about knife safety. Just try to rationalise it and reassure her that you are being safe, and sometimes we need bigger knives to cut up some foods. Does she have to be in the kitchen when your prepare food? Try and minimise her time exposed to knives for now! X

6. Likes Tealady liked this post
    Simona Guest

Glitter...this may help

Childrens Fears & Phobias

Also in every LA there will be a SENCO who may give you advice

Glitter Guest

Thank you everyone.

I will pass all this on to the child's mum.

I really don't know what I would do without the help of the wonderful people of this forum.