Dev Matters - evidence
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dev Matters - evidence

I have a new lo just started with me & am doing starting points/all about me. I have just been through Dev Matters highlighting areas that she already meets. Do I need to evidence these? Or is it just when we have done an activity or she does something that meets Dev Matters that I need to then do obs & mark on Dev Matters?!

Doing loads of paperwork today & getting myself all confused!

TIA

x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kime View Post
    I have a new lo just started with me & am doing starting points/all about me. I have just been through Dev Matters highlighting areas that she already meets. Do I need to evidence these? Or is it just when we have done an activity or she does something that meets Dev Matters that I need to then do obs & mark on Dev Matters?!

Doing loads of paperwork today & getting myself all confused!

TIA

x
    You should observe your new child for a period of time...say one month...then under each area of learning list what he/she can do as starting points...make sure you see the child doing this several times so you are sure it is achieved not just emerging

Once you have all your starting points for age and stage do a brief summative assessment ... from there plan the child 'next steps' which should be based on what you have observed as his/her learning style or Characteristics of Effective Learning and ...most important of all...the child's interests

What you plan next should be based on interests and how you will support and extend learning

Hope this helps

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have been informed by Ofsted that inspectors are looking for childminders to use Early Years Outcomes rather than the 'unique child' column of Development Matters.

It was confirmed in the Ofsted newsletter here - Ofsted | Early years: November 2013.

There are some EYO layouts here - Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding.

Remember that EYO is not a tick list - it's a guide to what a child might be doing / saying at different ages.

It is important - according to recent training I attended - to do your initial assessments quickly - they said on my training within a few weeks at the most - with input from parents.

Ofsted expect to see individualised teaching and learning opportunities in place for each child very quickly.

I hope that helps

Simona Guest

I think that there is still confusion and the letter in Nov 2013 says inspectors have to use EYO at inspection ...they cannot judge according to DM but we can still use DM for planning or ...for that matter...whatever we find most helpful ...as long as we refer to EYO when we look at outcomes

I have not read anywhere else that we have to use EYO only...in fact the advice given from various sources is to continue to use DM when planning

Some LAs too have sent emails to cms to reassure them they can use DM or EYO as neither are statutory

I attended a meeting with my association yesterday and this was reinforced again...we can use DM if we wish...we were also told the reason why inspectors cannot use DM anymore and it is a good reason

With regards to starting points we need to judge how long we can extend the time for observing them...there is no prescriptive time...it's what suits us best and the child of course...a few weeks is acceptable as is one month...which is a few weeks

I have not seen any guidance that Ofsted need to see individualised planning quickly...what is defined as 'quickly'?
    I feel it is up to us to judge...if there is a new guidance on this I have missed it...personally I can only plan for a child when I know all the starting points and if that takes me a month I will do that but it does not mean I cannot teach at the same time.

Unfortunately training and advice can vary from LA to LA and who we choose to follow...but overall the message is the same we can use DM or EYO...if that has changed then I welcome a new factsheet on it
    My view of course

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona, can you tell us the reason that inspectors cannot refer to DM please? Thank you

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by green puppy View Post
    Simona, can you tell us the reason that inspectors cannot refer to DM please? Thank you
    We were told it is because inspectors were copying and pasting extracts from the DM in their reports...which is now not allowed in the new guidance where it says clearly inspectors must not do that

The general feeling was that DM was 'butchered' when it was reduced to just a few pages even though it is one of the best guidance ever produced on child development...I still keep the old version but use the current all the time in addition to other development guidelines when I plan

What matters is how you evidence progress in your children...and are clear to explain to the inspector how you do this.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok, thanks, I had read that, and the guidance that inspectors shouldn't quote from DM. I still have DM too, although used only as a guide. Unfortunately I know some cm's and nursery practitioners that still use it as a checklist and the statements as goals for next steps!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anywhere we am down load a blank development matters to note evidence on or do I have to spend my night typing it up? X

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amyp View Post
    Is there anywhere we am down load a blank development matters to note evidence on or do I have to spend my night typing it up? X
    What do you mean?
    We do not need to type out (or handwrite!) anything from DM or EYO.

We write what we see our mindees doing/says as obs (not what any statements in DM say, they are only a guide to what a child might do).
    We might write what Area (or even Aspect if we want to) each obs fits (so 'PD' or 'PSED').
    We write 'Next Steps' which we create ourselves based on our obs, input from parents/other settings and our knowledge of the child, but not for every obs, and not copied out of DM or EYO.
    We may write a progress summary 2-3 times a year with input from parents and to share with parents/other settings
    And we write the 2-year check.

Does that help?

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amyp View Post
    its in free downloads (or was) in age order i still use it and my development worker was happy with it, i link my obs to it put the date of the obs next to the dev matters and do next steps from dev matters - this is what she has always told to me to do and she is from prospects
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told at a training course run by an ofsted lady who is also an early years advisor that starting points are no longer written a few weeks after the child starts but beginning at settling in and on first day.

Simona Guest

The 2 replies below confirm what we have been saying...it depends on your LA...who trains you but none of these recommendations are 'universal' and applicable in all LAs...if they were all our troubles would disappear

Thank you for sharing though...useful to know
    I will email my LA and see what they have to say

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We have been informed by Ofsted that inspectors are looking for childminders to use Early Years Outcomes rather than the 'unique child' column of Development Matters.

It was confirmed in the Ofsted newsletter here - Ofsted | Early years: November 2013.

There are some EYO layouts here - Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding.

Remember that EYO is not a tick list - it's a guide to what a child might be doing / saying at different ages.

It is important - according to recent training I attended - to do your initial assessments quickly - they said on my training within a few weeks at the most - with input from parents.

Ofsted expect to see individualised teaching and learning opportunities in place for each child very quickly.

I hope that helps
    Hi Sarah during initial assessments what have you asked for from parents? Specific questions or just a blank comments section? Have had my 2 new mindees for a fortnight and this week ive a week off (lucky me) so thought id put together their starting points documents while I have some spare time. Pointers welcome x