Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Inset days

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inset days

Hi all, just wondering what you do for inset days, do you charge even if you can't have the children during the day?
    I have lo's that start at 9 which means I can't keep the 6 before school kids, what do you do?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

im sorry i cant offer any help im always within my 6 as all my littlies start before 9 so havent been in this situation.

how many would you be over by?

do all parents need you on inset days? most of my parents take the day off or grandparents have their LOs too.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I cant see how you can charge if you dont have space for them.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

4. Likes bunyip, Dragonfly liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you mean charge for the time til 9, even though they probably won't come as they'd have to be collected at 9!? What does your contract say?

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'm still open from 7.30 til 9 but after that I can't look after them, my contracts don't include inset days but they will in future, what do you do?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I cant see how you can charge if you dont have space for them.
    Fussy: it's yet another symptom of 'Small Business(wo)man's Syndrome.'

I discuss inset days as part of contract discussions so we're straight about it from the start.

I've never known a parent who even considers it until I bring it up. I also know a lot of CMs who don't think about it until the first one comes around: and then both parties assume * they'll be getting what they want out of it despite having no semblance of an agreement in place.

OP, IIWY I'd be thinking along the lines of booking in whomsoever I can accommodate on and ad hoc, 1st come 1st served basis.

If you really want to naff off a client, charge them for a service you're not providing.

* Assume = another word for " up"
    Last edited by bunyip; 27-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I still charge as though its a normal school day.
    I make this clear: I work their contracted hours during term time and term time includes inset days as I am open on those days. The hours before/after school are available whether they use them or not.
    If parents want me to do the full day they need to ask me ahead of time and they know I may not be able to. If I can offer the full inset day I do so on a first come first served basis and just charge the difference .

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by critch View Post
    Hi all, just wondering what you do for inset days, do you charge even if you can't have the children during the day?
    I have lo's that start at 9 which means I can't keep the 6 before school kids, what do you do?
    Most schools publish their inset days well in advance...usually a year in advance... in their newsletters or website
    Maybe you could take a look and work out if you are able to offer a service if you have a space? or charge a 1/2 retainer?

We need to think about our business before schools hoover up our children in future

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge, because you do have space for them until school time. Some parents might still want to use that time, e.g. to give grandparents time to get there.

Definitely include inset days in your policy though!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    I would charge, because you do have space for them until school time. Some parents might still want to use that time, e.g. to give grandparents time to get there.

Definitely include inset days in your policy though!
    Can we charge parents...even a retainer...if we do not have a space for their child?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe its me I always ask my schoolies if they need me on inset days as it is actually school time not holidays. One does and send full days one doesn't so they don't get charged anything (Im so nice to my families ) but it helps to have a quieter day.

I don't see how you can charge a retainer if a space if not there
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Can we charge parents...even a retainer...if we do not have a space for their child?
    No, we can't. However, she has the space until 9am.

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for them

I'm available if needed but most usually arrange some holidays or family covers.
    Love Amanda

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Maybe its me I always ask my schoolies if they need me on inset days as it is actually school time not holidays. One does and send full days one doesn't so they don't get charged anything (Im so nice to my families ) but it helps to have a quieter day.

I don't see how you can charge a retainer if a space if not there
    Many schools have inset days 'attached' to their holidays either at the start or end of them
    If the inset day is during term time and the children are contracted on that day...then yes we can charge if they do not attend
    Anything else has to be contracted by the parents.....

Schools like LAs vary in what they do and it looks to me it is going to be even more so if they are allowed to decide their own holidays...maybe we should be aware and plan in advance and reflect this in our contracts