Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7am

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 7am

Hi,
    Hope everyone is enjoying half term.
    Just had a mum text and ask if I would mind having her daughter from 7am next week as dad normally drops off but has been called away for work.
    She normally gets dropped off at 7:30 but most of the time they drop her off 7:15.
    I struggle to be up and ready for 7:30 as it is. I feel bad if I say I can't, she isn't the easiest of children to look after.
    I don't know what to do?
    Would you charge more? X

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just for next week, are you going to do breakfast. Take all this into account when you work out your fees. Yes charge extra you are giving up your precious morning time.

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge heavily for those hours to discourage!

How mean huh?

4. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I struggle to get up for early starts when my mindees do the occasional 7.30 start and there is no way I'd be doing any earlier unless I was rewarded handsomely for it! I don't do it all the time - my usual start is 8am but with 3 children of my own 7.30 is really hard. For new clients I will be charging time and a half for anything before 8am in future. I'd say charge a premium just in case they decide to do it again.

Glitter Guest

You could charge a lot to put them off in the future. Or you could just say no.

The good thing about being self-employed is you don't have to start work earlier than you want to. If you think you will struggle to start so early just say you can not do it.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it and just charge either as normal or an unsocial hours fee. I regularly start at 7 and sometimes 6am. To be honest I would rather have an early start than work in to the evening, although tomorrow I will be doing both (lol)!!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

8. Likes lynncjt, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it too if it was just one week. My day starts at 7.30am so I would be charging the fee for unsocial hours. Obviously would make sure parents knew the fees beforehand so they could decide what to do.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Because you are at home, some parents seem to think it doesn't really matter as you are there anyway. So sneaking in a little early is fine, though they would struggle doing that with a nursery grrr

11. Likes AliceK, Dragonfly liked this post
    sept 12
    Non childminder member
    Please select
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent who often asks me for 7am starts - each time it's 'the last one' lol. I charge £5 per hour from 7-8 and my usual rate is £3.50 /hr. She has 2 children so I get £10 for that hour so it makes it worthwhile. Wouldn't be happy doing it for less tbh, it makes my day very long and I get really tired by the end of the week. Good luck with what you decide x

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If she comes at 7.15 I hope you charge for the extra 15 minutes do it and charge double the hourly rate for the half hour. If they get the 15 mins free use this as a charge review.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look after the child, but I would charge for unsociable hours.

15. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Simona Guest

Sometimes I think it would be better for these poor children to stay with us overnight instead of having to get up at an awful hour to accommodate parents' ever increasing working shifts/flexibility/demands or whatever we want to call it.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I agree Simona. I had an enquiry recently for a 9 month old who would occasionally need to be dropped at 6am due to mum and dad's shift patterns. They have an older child (about 6 I think) too so presumably she would need to get up early before a school day too. I know sometimes it can't be helped but I am eternally grateful that I've been able to be at home with my children. Must be hard for everyone.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I start 7.30 any earlier and parents would have to pay dearly and I would probably be in my pjs while opening the door as I physically am unable to get my self ready any earlier. My ds keeps trying to get me to start my day early and it ain't happened yet.

I would charge double

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

until recently I started at 6.30 now its 7.30 onwards its up to you if it was me I would do it , it is a genuine reason.
    I charge £5.00 before 7.30 £3.75 normal times
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Simona Guest

The flexibility offered by CMs is truly amazing...wonder how schools will respond to opening at 6am and who will be there to care for tired little ones?

23. Likes AliceK, caz3007, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would do it if it's just for the week- as Simona says one of our advantages is to be flexible. However, I'd use this as an excuse to deal with the early arrival issue.

I'd speak to mum and say you'd really prefer not to work from 0700 but as it's a one off you 'lll do it but the charge is £5 per half hour before 0730 so you will charge an additional £5 for the week she needs. Then say you've noticed she's been coming earlier each day anyway and you didnt' want to make things uncomfortable but this seems a good time to bring it up. Tell her you are struggling to get prepared before 0730 and after the early starts week you will have to start being really tough and not answering the door until 0730 UNLESS there is a pre-arranged and agreed early start.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

25. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with everyone else, look at your contract and see what you have put on it for "outside hours" and "unsociable hours". From what you have written parent is asking if you can do it, politely aswell.
    Debbie

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sometimes I think it would be better for these poor children to stay with us overnight instead of having to get up at an awful hour to accommodate parents' ever increasing working shifts/flexibility/demands or whatever we want to call it.
    I have done this before and its worked well.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have siblings once a week. Mum worked from home but had to go to London to the office and meet with clients once a week. They used to come extra early and leave about 6. It was a long day, but only once a week. I don't think they would have coped with every day though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast