At what age would you expect a child to be able........
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default At what age would you expect a child to be able........

Know simple colours like red, blue, green & yellow and basic animal names like cat, dig, pig, cow, sheep ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairly young - I have got a couple of 18-22 months old lo's who are interested in colours/animals at the moment

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I would have said going on my own children but wanted to know others opinion.

I have a mindee who is 2 next week and knows no colours despite me trying and only knows cat, a duck she calls a quack quack and a dog a woof woof and no others.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a little boy who didnt learn his colours till he was nearly 3. He is 5 now and is a normal bright little boy so it can vary a lot.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two children who are 2 in a couple of weeks and they don't know any colours, and make some animal noises, woof, quack and moo. That's it no animal names and not a lot of sounds. And the 19 mth old says dog to everything and can do the fish mouth and that's it.

It's very concerning as my own two children had no problem with any of this and all 3 young mindees are behind with their speech which I worry that will look bad on me as they are all the same but I am trying so hard with counting, colours, shapes etc. we're starting a farm theme next week as they all love the farm and farm animals so I will continue to try my best!

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

It varies. My mindee turned 2 this month and is only just learning to differentiate between colours (putting blue things together, etc), therefore his next steps are to learn the names of the colours. He's very bright, he's just been developing in other ways rather than learning colour names.

Regarding language, I can recommend the ICAN website. You can answer questions about children's verbal skills and it tells you whether you need to get them referred or not. There is also a lot of information about how to help children's language develop.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    It varies. My mindee turned 2 this month and is only just learning to differentiate between colours (putting blue things together, etc), therefore his next steps are to learn the names of the colours. He's very bright, he's just been developing in other ways rather than learning colour names. Regarding language, I can recommend the ICAN website. You can answer questions about children's verbal skills and it tells you whether you need to get them referred or not. There is also a lot of information about how to help children's language develop.

Ooh thanks for that will go in later tonight as she is behind speech wise but my own boy was so not sure if I'm too relaxed about it if that makes sense or if I need to refer (my own boy sorted himself with my help only as referral too too long to come through)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I also recommend ICAN. Have watched some of their DVDs too as recommended by the playschool that shares care of one of my mindees that has delayed speech. He is 3 in April and only uses a few words. Everything is always blue and he won't name animals but knows all the right sounds. He's very bright and totally understands what is said to him and is brilliant at making himself understood he just doesn't use words. ICAN is very helpful for identifying if there is an issue that needs to be looked into further and also gives great advice on tactics to use to help develop speech.