Possible non starter
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible non starter

Child started this week after mum pulling him out of childcare after ' not being treated properly at old childminders ' ' where no contract was signed ' ALLEGEDLY

Day 1 grand child profile not returned I emphasised the importance

Day 2 child only with me few hrs told on arrival

Day 3 no show I phoned to be told his daddy ( separated ) wants to spend time with him
    But she will pay me

Day 4

Late not here yet no communication or consideration I'm running a business

HELP

Registered Childminder since
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a phone call reiterate timings and details of your contract, ask mum to confirm exactly when child will be attending and if this differs from the already contracted hours, then Arrange to meet with her to set better and more appropriate hours.

Have you been paid in advance?? If not be very cautious!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Contract has been completed on my part but not returned .... Monday and Tuesday were settling in days yesterday was no show I phoned left MSG help !

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would call Mum and explain that until you have the signed contract you can no longer care for the child. I'd also request payment up front.

Post Thanks / Like

I was to be paid yesterday but child didn't come

I know she has been bad mouthing another childminder I have an excellent reputation in a very small village and want this girl to stop

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happyfeet2013 View Post
    Contract has been completed on my part but not returned .... Monday and Tuesday were settling in days yesterday was no show I phoned left MSG help !
    Contract has therefore not been completed and they have no legal tie to you I'm afraid.

However, I would keep calling and if no joy. I would write a letter terminating your verbal contract with immediate effect on the grounds that they are breaching what was originally agreed.

Post letter by hand.

You cannot work with people like this and really should have completed contracts in place before care commences and advanced payment should also be requested.

Good luck

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry about what is happening. Just a couple of points.
    I would not have accepted child even for settling in period without signed contracts returned. What would have happened if ofsted had turned up to inspect as we all know they are doing this without notice and you could have been downgraded.
    I have learned the hard way by not bring paid in the past. NO FEES PAID NO CHILDCARE PROVIDED.

I think you would be best to end contract and as settling in period no notice is required.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

8. Likes AliceK, Ripeberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always make parents full out and sign contracts in front of me. Don't a lot of people do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Mum rang me the boys dad had him past few days doesn't understand concept if childminding and mum was unaware the child wasn't left with me until now on her tea break

Such a huge mess poor child doesn't know what's what's

yes I agree with everything u have said and will learn from this BIGTIME

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't let parents take home the contract - they have to allow enough time either before child starts in settling in sessions (I fill in a temp session contract to cover settling in), or we do a page each time child comes to do settling in sessions. Glad you have managed to make contact with the mother, sounds like the dad is just being difficult!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I sit down with parents and make them fill it out in front of me same with policy's and medical forms. They are too expensive for me to let them just walk out the door with. It normally take 1.30 hr to go through it all and no parent has yet minded and I don't allow a child to start unless money for that session has cleared.

I did learn this the hard way though and now I'm really strict

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clareelizabeth1 View Post
    I sit down with parents and make them fill it out in front of me same with policy's and medical forms. They are too expensive for me to let them just walk out the door with. It normally take 1.30 hr to go through it all and no parent has yet minded and I don't allow a child to start unless money for that session has cleared. I did learn this the hard way though and now I'm really strict
    I do the same. I also always take a deposit to make sure I'm protected. Then at least if they run off ect. I've got that money. But I take money upfront also, either weekly or monthly so I'm safe.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Regret, I have to agree with the other members. Without a contract in place, the parents can stroll off into the sunset, leaving you unpaid and without a legal leg to stand on. But that's the least of your worries.

Have you got all the necessary consents and child information data as per the statutory requirements? Please, for Heaven's sake, tell us you have them. Without these in place, you'd be in breach of the regulations and in trouble with Ofsted if a complaint is lodged.

In future, be sure to get all the paperwork completed before you start to care for a child. Also, get payment in advance, with no payment = no childcare + no exceptions.

I would generally advise against letting anyone take a contract away to sign at home. If you have to do this, you must issue them with a 'Notice of right to cancel' within 7 days, under the Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home, Place of Work, etc. Regulations 2008. Failure to do so means the client could legally cancel the contract at any time without notice, and is a criminal offence to boot.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad tidings, but I think this is one to get out of asap and take what you can from the learning curve.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Additional....

Our LSCB expects us to treat frequent or unexplained non-attendance at a childcare setting as a safeguarding issue. I would make all clients aware of this in future.

If I take on a child who has been withdrawn from another setting, I always give that setting a call and ask what their experience was. You're not going to get a 100% accurate account from either party, but their are always 2 sides.........

I should've said before - I am sorry this has happened to you and hope you get some better clients very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that its all resolved now as paperwork has all been signed and things are going well

Child is from a broken home his dad picks and chooses when he wants to see him wee things so confused

Everything above board now I have been doing this two years now and never came across such issues but you learn !

Thanks for the advice