How long would you leave a child to sulk?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long would you leave a child to sulk?

So far it's been 45mins

Told 3yr old boy off for deliberately tearing a puzzle box lid. Had some tears followed by a sulk. Left him for a bit then invited him to join in but he has refused. Tried again 10mins later so am now leaving hint to it.

He's still lolopped on the floor. At least its a sulk not a tantrum I suppose.

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My mum left me for about four years!

I sulked from being 13 to about 17...

Life is all about how you handle plan B

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it takes for them to snap out of it. My dd was an expert sulker to the point where I almost wished she'd paddy and get it over in 5 mins than it being dragggggggged out alllllllllll dayyyyyyyy
    But she learnt quickly that I didn't give her attention when she sulked and that once she'd had her time out she was welcome to join back in. I'd say are you coming to play, she'd say no and I'd say ok that's your choice, come over when you're ready. Then have fun loudly with the others and she'd start to creep back in
    He'll snap out of it soon, especially if there's food involved I bet lol x
    Kelly xx

4. Likes ziggy liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree. Like a tantrum, if you give in, he'll learn it works.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... I had a 4yr old arrive last week, in a fantastic mood but then she wouldn't take off her coat or boots and wanted to sit in them. So I carried on with what I was doing, every 10mins kept going back to see if she was ok, Did she want to join in etc and she wouldn't answer me. I did som epainting with the other 2 children and kept saying in a loud voice 'Wow, this red paint looks amazing, we wish xxxx was here too' This went on all morning from 9am-11.30ish

She wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't come and join in, wouldn't take off her boots and coat. I was just about to ring her Mum when she came into the playroom with her coat and boots off and cheerfully said 'Whats for lunch?'

I told Mum on pick up and she said she can be very, very stubborn at times.....I felt awful that she had sat for 2.5hrs but I couldn't make her move. She got over her mood when she wanted to.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this yesterday from a 3yr old it went on most of the day. One minute ok the next sulking for no real reason was I glad when he went home.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

can i just ask why were you going to ring a parent about a child sulking? I am baffled a little over this...
    Tess1981

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    can i just ask why were you going to ring a parent about a child sulking? I am baffled a little over this...
    I was going to contact her to see if she'd has a bad nights sleep or had been feeling under the weather recently. It was out of character for her so I wondered if there was anything behind it.

Some children arrive tired and just want a bit of a sit/lie down for a while then they perk up a bit. Other children may just be getting over a cold or some other illness and maybe need a bit of TLC, otherwise it was just a sulk

But I didn't want to leave her sitting by the door for 2.5hrs thinking she was just being moody to discover that she'd been up with a bad cough or something that Mum hadn't mentioned.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

cleared that up
    i hope i didnt sound rude... everyone on here has loads of differnet ways of doing things and i am a nosey git and like to know why
    also i pick up loads of tips even though i have been childminding 7 years
    Tess1981

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one that burst into tears and has a total meltdown over the slightest thing.. he cant carry everything, or the rice cake wasn't a complete circle or a square peg wont fit into a round hole!! Don't you just love two and a half year old boys!!

12. Likes AliceK liked this post
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I have one too! Stroppy little thing that I can't help laughing discretely at :-)

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if he's still sulking lol...
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 4.5 ur old who will cry at anything too. Can't find something (usually right in front of her!!) Need the toilet, her hat fell off its endless but she's also a sulker! She's also stubborn as well has starved herself this week even though she likes the food!!! Drives me bonkers!!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primula View Post
    I have one that burst into tears and has a total meltdown over the slightest thing.. he cant carry everything, or the rice cake wasn't a complete circle or a square peg wont fit into a round hole!! Don't you just love two and a half year old boys!!
    I have a 3 year old boy who can cry/meltdown if another mindee so much as looks at him! It's very draining!

Those days don't happen too often though thankfully!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think he was tired too and after my post he looked like he was going to drift off to sleep. I scooped him up and snuggled him down on the sofa where he stayed for another 45 mins. When he perked up he couldn't even remember what the problem was in the first place.

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have sibling mindees, parents decided that as from this term, littlest LO will come to me 3 days, and older LO only 2 days ... today was the day older LO didn't come ... he came with parent to collect LO ... apparently has sulked all day as not with me, and then it got 100 times worse as LO was wearing octonaut hat and stickers from our day out! ( tomorrow when both here we are going to the zoo, but i'm not going to not do things just so older child doesn't miss out !!! ) think parents are going to have fun later!!

and then tomorrow, when they arrive, the older will want to do everything that LO did today 'because i didn't do it' and he isn't going to be able to ... so I already know he will sulk !!! not that I take any notice and he usually comes round! I have to stop LO from giving him whatever etc as obviously that's how sulking is dealt with at home!