Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: tiptoes

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tiptoes

Mindee 20months spends around 80% of the day on her tiptoes. She can walk flat footed and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort when doing so. I've never come across a child who spends so long tiptoeing.
    Should I be concerned? Mum hasn't mentioned anything to me so will have a chat tonight about it.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughters nearly 14 months, been walking well since 11 months and has just started doing this - everyone I ask seems to say it's just a phase, she too can walk flat footed - sorry I can't be more help but I'll be interested to see what others say. X

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autism.com/index.php/symptoms_toe_walking

According to the above it's very common in under threes and only might be a concern in Over 5s

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We had this case at the nursery I worked in and the lo was referred to a doctor who said it was a problem with the tendons in his feet. Basically it wasnt hurting per say child to walk flat footed but it was uncomfortable so he chose to tiptoe. Also he said its a good thing we caught it early as it can become a real problem the longer its left so I'd speak to mum as soon as just in case its the same thing xx
    Kelly xx

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've known 2 different children, (bizarrely both boys and both 8, but completely unconnected!) whose to tip toe walking was so ingrained that their calf muscles had actually shortened over the years and they physically struggled to walk flat footed. Both boys had to have injections in their calves to relax the muscles and then be set in plaster from the knee down for several weeks at a time to forcibly lengthen the muscle! This is obviously the absolute worst case scenario, in all honesty wasn't nearly as bad on the boys as it sounds and it was the result of many years on tip toe BUT it can get serious if not corrected so def worth following up x

7. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have a word with mum tonight when she collects. I don't want it to cause her problems as she gets older. Thanks everyone

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen alot of children who do this and all of them walked flat footed after a few months, one mum spoke to HV who wasn't concerned just told her to remind child to put the foot flat on the floor this didn't make her walk flat footed quicker than those who were ignored.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've looked after her for 2 months, she has done it the whole time i've had her.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's connected or not but just a thought - my daughter was born with her feet turned inwards at an angle - I had to give her a bit of physio at each nappy change - now she's walking on her tiptoes I wonder if it's an underlying reason!?! X

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Physio friend advised me to tell child to put whole foot downsaid if still tip toes 90% of time by three then child should be referred to physio and if 50% of time by five then a referral to hospital would be made.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd get mum to have her referred. It may just be habit and nothing to worry about. My step daughter walked like this, as did her cousin.. Both needed ops and further physio/ insoles. There's no harm done by referring, and being told it's fine, but there is by not .