Anger over new after-school childcare ratios plan
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Simona Guest

Sorry wrong thread
    Last edited by Simona; 18-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong ....I understand the EYFS has to be delivered over 38 weeks and for those weeks providers get funding for the education side of it...schools deliver it but not in the holidays, preschools which are term time only do the same The way I interpret it is that the Learning and Development does not need to be covered in the holiday schemes...in terms of planning, observing and assessing....no holiday scheme has ever needed to do that. Mr Ker needed to understand the EYFS ...he obviously doe not! what needs to be covered is the Welfare Requirement of Safeguarding and ratios...now with the higher ratio those will be put in danger This is what Mr Ker says in the article "The government is giving children the freedom to have fun in the holidays - it's a great step forward," he said. "Under current requirements, camp providers are expected to follow learning and development rules for younger children. Those rules really aren't relevant in a holiday setting. "Now the government has injected a massive dose of common sense into the industry and will trust holiday care providers to ensure children can enjoy their holidays without those restrictions." Like many other cms I have looked after school children in the holidays but never needed to produce evidence of EYFS to Ofsted......so this guy is a good spinner One of the problems highlighted in the Childcare Commission was the shortage of holiday care for children and the cost...this reform will address it as children will be piled into these camps at low cost
    Sorry I forgot that the revised EYFS had changed the requirements for learning and development for holiday care, though it does say they still need to be guided by them.

In that case, what is he talking about? It's almost like the BBC were desperate for some supporting views so just stuck that bit in!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12