4 under 4, siblings, new childminder, help please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

As predicted I got a standard reply from Ofsted referring me to the EYFS. I do find it surprising that providers are left to interpret the rules themselves, no guidance offered, but they'll come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you get it wrong but I guess that's the way it is! I contacted my LA advisor again and they felt I should do a risk assessment and discuss it with the inspector on my registration inspection but I feel it would be too late for my friend to find alternative care if I had to say no at the last minute and I also feel they'll just refer me to the EYFS again. I'm not interested in nannying at her house and unsettling my own children and taking the out of our home for 2 or 3 days each week. So, I'm just about to let her know I can't have them both once I'm registered and am crossing my fingers that she'll keep sending the baby to me and can find a local alternative for her oldest boy but it's pretty booked up around here

Post Thanks / Like

Default solution

hi zanacal,
    I think there is a way around this. technically you are not yet registered right? so you do not have paperwork etc. speak to mum and explain the concept of extenuating
    circumstances that allows you to increse your ratio of 3 under 5.
    when you get registered start with the 3 kids..sign contracts and all same day. give or take3 weeks or so later.. sign next contract for 4th child...who will
    be a sibling of one of the first 3 already on yourbooks . tnus the 4th child will be extenuating circumstances under continuity of care of siblings. and you will have the paper work to back it up.
    x

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has expressed an interest in working as my assistant. This would obviously help me with my current situation but it would not be worthwhile me employing her and paying a minimum wage if I only had one extra child (paying less than the minimum wage and incurring expenses!). Is it, in theory, possible for her to work on a self-employed basis and for me to pay her an hourly rate per 'extra' child. She has one under 5 of her own who I would not charge for and of course would not pay her for. She has a background in childcare and is looking for a stop gap.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend doing the same- she is self employed having one child's hourly rate- if I have more children she will get paid more.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so it is the end of February now and this is only going to be a problem until July as the children are term time only, and two will go to school in September. It seems from your posts that you are not very far into the registration process as you have not had your pre-reg visit yet, is that right? If that is the case I think you are being pretty optimistic hoping that you will be registered by April. It could take longer than you think. It took me a whole 9 months! I would not worry about it too much for now and wait until you are closer to getting your certificate and have a better idea of the timescales. If you end up with only a short period between registration and July then perhaps your friend can ship the older child off to a relative/neighbour/friend/babysitter/etc. just to cover those weeks.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyMia View Post
    Ok, so it is the end of February now and this is only going to be a problem until July as the children are term time only, and two will go to school in September. It seems from your posts that you are not very far into the registration process as you have not had your pre-reg visit yet, is that right? If that is the case I think you are being pretty optimistic hoping that you will be registered by April. It could take longer than you think. It took me a whole 9 months! I would not worry about it too much for now and wait until you are closer to getting your certificate and have a better idea of the timescales. If you end up with only a short period between registration and July then perhaps your friend can ship the older child off to a relative/neighbour/friend/babysitter/etc. just to cover those weeks.
    Gosh really? Yes you're right, if I'm not registered before July then there isn't an issue anyway! Our LA are estimating April - our pre-reg course finishes in 3 weeks, my First Aid and Safeguarding courses are done, I have my medical booklet back and am waiting for my DBS check to be completed before I apply online. I guess only time will tell!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12