Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fed up and disappointed!

I was expecting two children today, four days per week for five of the six weeks holidays. Contracts were all done three weeks ago and mum rang me last week to check that all was well and to confirm that she had sorted out the tax credits.

Well, they did not come. I finally got fed up of waiting and phoned mum. She told me that they were not coming, she had had to give up her job, without working her notice, because she could not afford the childcare for the holidays.

I am extremely disappointed, and very cross that she did not even let me know. I now have very little work over the holidays and feel thoroughly fed-up. All my good ideas and planning have been wasted, and I really needed the extra money. My fees are quite low anyway and I was offering a good deal a 7 and 9 year old for £5.00 per hour together, so there was no way that I could have reduced my fees, even if mum had asked me.

Mum feels really let down by the tax credit system too. She only needed holiday care and the tax credit system of spreading the cost over the whole year has been no help to her at all.

This could well be the final straw for me!!
    Donna

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fed up and disappointed!

That's terrible Donna. I'm sorry for the woman of course but she should have let you know, how rude. I hope you can get some more in quick.
    Sue

July 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

What a big let down for you Donna. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get some phone calls very soon.

Hugs
    Wiggly
    x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Donna i'm sorry.

I thinks its really awfull that the mum hadn't even bothered to let you know though - I would ring tax credits to make sure that she's not just pulling a fast one & keeping the money herself. Sorry if that sounds very pessamistic (SP!) of me, but hay you never know!

I have nobody at all for the majority of the holidays. Have been paid today but dropped a real clanger & am short 3 days money

I do hope that you get some calls soon & you never know

hugs hun, you sound like you need them x
    Katickles

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnagwynne View Post
    I was expecting two children today, four days per week for five of the six weeks holidays. Contracts were all done three weeks ago and mum rang me last week to check that all was well and to confirm that she had sorted out the tax credits.

Well, they did not come. I finally got fed up of waiting and phoned mum. She told me that they were not coming, she had had to give up her job, without working her notice, because she could not afford the childcare for the holidays.

I am extremely disappointed, and very cross that she did not even let me know. I now have very little work over the holidays and feel thoroughly fed-up. All my good ideas and planning have been wasted, and I really needed the extra money. My fees are quite low anyway and I was offering a good deal a 7 and 9 year old for £5.00 per hour together, so there was no way that I could have reduced my fees, even if mum had asked me.

Mum feels really let down by the tax credit system too. She only needed holiday care and the tax credit system of spreading the cost over the whole year has been no help to her at all.

This could well be the final straw for me!!
    Donna
    you didnt give out your reg number out to her did u

veronicaxx

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did Veronica.

We did the whole contract and everything, mum said that she was already receiving the tax credits and now that she had quit her job they were starting to take the money back. She has had to go onto income support.

I am sure that if she had told me about it, we could have come to some sort of agreement about the money. A 52 week standing order for 12 weeks care or something.

Too late now. I am off to the Jobcentre.

Donna

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

It does seem yet another stupid thing about the whole system, why they think anyone wanting only holiday care would pay all through the year ffs, they should do it as a lump sum or something.

(my favourite word today) MADNESS!

So sorry you've been let down, they should have had the decency to tell you - and I agree with above I would be ringing to let them know, but then I am like that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that she did not let you know Donna

I had this done to me ages ago though and she had signed contracts etc

I am sure she did it for tax credits so I called them and gave her details

I would def give them a call if shes done nothing wrong shes got nothing to worry about

Serve her right anyway for being so rude by not letting you know

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would ph them she might get someone to look after them and get the money and not pay as much to them ive got a Devi's mind and she might have given you a sob story and had no intentions of using u.. just to get your no

veronicaxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had one of my mums mention this to me today, how they spread out her holiday care over the year. That's ridiculous because it can be hard to come up with the total amount in one lump sum. So she said she was going to figure out how many days she could afford to send her older one (I already have her 3yo all day). I had to tell her it didn't work that way, that she was receiving money all year long that was meant for hols cover and she couldn't just keep it even if it is only about £20 a week. It's kinda my money, if you know what I mean!

Ah well, George is right - it's all MADNESS!

I'm sorry your parent left you hangin'. She should have called and told you the truth.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry that they didn't show today Donna & didn't even have the courtesy to phone you
    I really hope you get some calls soon xx

Registe
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so annoying when this happens....there's probably a few of us that have experienced this...I know I have!!

Thankfully not all your enquiries will turn out this way.....fingers crossed you get some work soon.x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really feel for you Donna... that was so unfair not to even have the courtesy to ring you.

Sending hugs xx

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeling for you. I realise the mum can't afford it but why on earth did she not have the common courtesey to let you know rather than you have to chase her.

I had expected the summer to be a decent earner but it is possibly going to be some of my worst weeks for earnings. I was expecting one child every day and he is now only coming 1 3/4 days a week and another one all summer but he is now going abroad to his parents.

On top of that we had the electricity bill in today.

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand where this parent is coming from, they do spread it out over the whole year.

The only way to get around it is to ring up and tell them your childcare is costing for example £100 a week. The next trick is NOT to tell them how many weeks it's full. just make out it's all year round.

This way you get the 80% of the £100 each week with your tax credits then at the end of the summer holidays phone them again and tell them your childcare has stopped. You mustn't forget to tell them it's stopped or else you'll claim too much and have to pay it back.

I've done this with the money I need to claim over this summer and I've done it in the past for holiday cover.
    Lucy

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear what's happened Donna but still think mum should have let you know.

I also think you should let tax credits know what's happened

Hope something else turns up for you

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

You had a narrow escape. If she can be this mean so early on imagine how bad it could have got. You need to write a letter to the tax credits to make it clear you don't have the children. I had a mum who carried on claiming tax credits after the contract had ended. A lot of parents do.

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry that it turned out that way Donna. What a let down and how inconsiderate to not even bother to call you and let you know, very rude.

Hope you are not too disheartened, I know you must be feeling annoyed about it but dont let it ruin your day/week. You never know, you might get another enquiry this week!

Chin up

xxx
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx