How do you figure out maternity leave?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you figure out maternity leave?

As question states, how do you go about maternity leave as a childminder? Obviously let the parents know but you can't give them specific dates, just approximate. Do you find alternatives for the time you're away? Do you get the parents too? How long do you take off - I was thinking 2 months? Do you just take the children back again after that time away?

Any info you can give me would be a great help.

Thanks

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat,
    When I found out I was pregnant and told parents they asked how long I was going to take, I said in the beginning two weeks but as it's got closer (I'm 32 weeks) I've decided I want longer off.

Used baby makes an early appearance I'm finishing on 4th April -due 13th April - and going back with my under 5's at beginning of June but not taking after schoolers back on until September if they want to come back.

I've wrote all parents a letter stating how long I'm going to take off and put at the end that I'd love them to come back
    When I start up again but I understand that it may be too much to ask for them to wait and I've put names and numbers of a few local childminders that I can recommend for them to use.
    I've also stated in the letter what will happen if I go into labour during working hours and attached a form for them to update their emergency contacts so I know who to contact should I go into early labour.

It's hard deciding what to do but you have to do what's best for you and baby, and take as much time as you need/can allow for.

Xx
    Sarah x

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah sunflower View Post
    I'm in the same boat,
    When I found out I was pregnant and told parents they asked how long I was going to take, I said in the beginning two weeks but as it's got closer (I'm 32 weeks) I've decided I want longer off.

Used baby makes an early appearance I'm finishing on 4th April -due 13th April - and going back with my under 5's at beginning of June but not taking after schoolers back on until September if they want to come back.

I've wrote all parents a letter stating how long I'm going to take off and put at the end that I'd love them to come back
    When I start up again but I understand that it may be too much to ask for them to wait and I've put names and numbers of a few local childminders that I can recommend for them to use.
    I've also stated in the letter what will happen if I go into labour during working hours and attached a form for them to update their emergency contacts so I know who to contact should I go into early labour.

It's hard deciding what to do but you have to do what's best for you and baby, and take as much time as you need/can allow for.

Xx
    Thanks Sarah

When did you let your parents know? I've decided (at least at the moment, things might change yet!) to finish two weeks before I'm due, reason being my other child was born premature so I wanted a bit more of a cushion, and start up 6 weeks after because I'm likely to have a c-section again and therefore will be unable to drive. My thinking was that I wanted to be able to take the kids out places rather than be stuck at home or at the park, as that is pretty much all we can do within walking distance around here. So basically, I will be taking 2 months off. I'm having to reduce my numbers by one on one day of the week (after schoolers) because with the new arrival, I will be over my numbers. I've already spoken to a friend who is a childminder, and spaces permitting at the time, she is able to take on all of my kids for the 2 months I'll be off, which is great.

Good idea about the plan about labour in working hours - what was your plan. I need to get some in motion so I can get my head on straight. Also, I've been told to do a risk assessment for my pregnancy duration - did you do one? If you did, what was on it?

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got my letter ready to give out to parents tomorrow but they all already know about my dates that I'm planning on being off., however I have wrote on the letter that these dates may change ie if I go into early labour or if I have complications after the birth meaning I may have to take extra time off. (If they come back great, if not I'm sure I'll find others) I've attached a emergency contact sheet to the letter so I can have a list of people who can collect child should I go into early labour.

Plan if I go into early labour (before my finishing date) is to contact parent or if their unavailable to contact next person on emergency contact list to collect child from me ASAP (or if I have to go into hospital my mum is my assistant so will
    Come up amnd look after the mindees until parents arrive)
    Or if I go into labour overnight/weekend I'll contact parents to let them know that I will be starting my leave early.

They all have back ups in place either another childminder or are using family while I'm off.

I'm taking 2 months off with little ones just as I don't feel I'll be able to give them enough attention before that and hopefully I'll be in a little routine by then.

Ii haven't done a pregnacy risk assessment, I suppose I should of maybe I should put that ok my ever growing list of things to do!!

X
    Sarah x

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished work wk end before baby was due.

Gave all parents letter confirming my last day of work.

I was initially going to take 6 weeks leave, this extended to 4 months, but when baby finally arrived (2 weeks late may I add, little monkey) I just couldn't bear to start back so soon so ended up taking the full 9 months!

One of my before school children waited for me to start back which was lovely as I'd had said mindee since she was 4months old! So that was lovely.

Unfortunately all my others minders left, some to start school others to new childminders. Which off course is understandable as 9 months is a long time.

Just starting back to childminding now.

Xx

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I told my parents after 12 week scan. At the time I told them I would carry on working but I changed my mind around 20 weeks so I told them all then I would be stopping (after much stressing and feeling guilty!) I was lucky all my parents were amazing. 2 were going on maternity around the same time and a couple were planning to leave me anyway (school kids leaving school). So it worked out quite well. I lost all my children except 1 - her parents just worked out their own thing in the time I was off. I helped a couple find another childminder, and others found their own new ones.

It's very hard because you don't know how long you'll want but looking back I wish I'd just given them all notice because in the end I went back sooner than I wanted to because I'd committed to that one coming back after 6 months. So if it happens again I think I'll just tell them that I don't know how long I'll be taking off - and if they want to wait for me they can and if they don't I'll just find new kids when I'm ready!! You'll always be able to build your business up again.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished at 32 weeks went back when baby was 7mths, told parents after 12week scan what I was doing, they all found alternate care came back to me after mat leave but i saved for a year before falling pregnant so I could take all that time off for me there was no way I was working up until 2 weeks before and then back 2 weeks later, having a baby for me is about spending quality time with them not looking after a house full of other peoples children exhausted and sleep deprived I don't see the point that's why I saved. X

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post